Sociology Questions (US)

Hey, I'm taking a sociology course and am doing a, "field experience," assignment. I've got a couple of questions to ask if any of you would like to answer them. Answer as many as you like, in no way should you feel obligated to answer them all.

1. What concerns you the most in respect to the direction this country seems to be taking?

2. What concerns you most about race relations in America?

3. What concerns you most about the economy today? The State/Federal Budget? The Deficit? The growing gap in wealth and income as well as the poverty level?

4. What concerns do you have about current and future employment opportunities?

5. Are you concerned about global warming and climate change?

6. What do you think about the Health Care Reform Act passed in 2010? How has the reform impacted you and family members directly? What are your thoughts on the Supreme Court's Decision that ruled on the constitutionality of the individual mandates?

7. What are your thoughts on the on-going war in Afghanistan?

8. What are your thoughts on other happenings in the Middle East and Northern Africa (Egypt, Libya, and Syria)?

9. How do you balance work and family?

10. What are your concerns regarding the cost of a college education?

11. Are you generally optimistic or pessimistic about our future as a nation?

**ONLY ANSWER QUESTIONS BELOW IF YOU ABSOLUTELY FEEL COMFORTABLE**

12. How old are you?

13. What state are you from?

14. Do you plan on voting in the upcoming election?

15. Who are you voting for? Why?

Thank you.

1. Education. Seems like with each passing year the general populace is getting more and more stupid.
    2. The fact that people still bring it up on either side. Get passed the damn skin color already, it's immature as shit.
    3. Trickle down economics and income disparity.
    4. Jobs are becoming more and more exclusive to skilled workers, but workers don't want (or cannot) get skills.
    5. Fuck. Yes. We haven't had a real winter in years.
    6. It let me stay on my parents health plan in college and until I got employment of my own. I think the SCOTUS' ruling was a stretch, but wouldn't have been if the government had argued tax law from the get-go.
    7. I think it's time to pull out, limit our intervention to small targeted strikes of terrorists.
    8. It's their own damn business. Freedom earned is a lot sweeter than freedom given.
    9. I don't have a family.
    10. It's going through the fucking roof, and many low income but educationally qualified students are limited to a future of menial jobs simply because they cannot afford college. It's fucked up and needs serious repair.
    11. Pessimistic
    12. 24
    13. MN
    14. Yes
    15. Obama: As I feel Romney plans for continuing trickle-down economics is bullshit. Giving income to high end individuals does nothing, as they effectively hoard the money and it is removed from the economy.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Education. Too many people fall for false assumptions and propaganda, as seen by the millions who equate universal healthcare to the fall of the USSR. If we had better educated people, we'd be able to make better decisions
    2. It's better than it use to be, but people really need to get the fuck over it. Race is a social constructed, lets deconstruct it.
    3. What concerns me is Congress. Will they do the same crap in the last term, obstructing rather than compromising and thus hurting the economy rather than helping?
    4. I'm concerned I'll be sitting on this chair until I'm 40.
    5. Yes, but more because reducing pollution and cleaning the earth is never a bad thing. Whether anthropomorphic global warming is true or false, either way, we all benefit from cleaning our planet.
    6. It's not universal healthcare. It's a step in that direction, but not what we need. We need a universal healthcare system. The rest of the civilized world has it, why can't we?
    7. It's time to pull out.
    8. I wish them the best but we should take care of ourselves and not get involved. Send food and medicine perhaps, but otherwise not get involved.
    9. N/A
    10. It's a conundrum. Employers want to see degrees. But colleges cost an arm and a leg and it puts kids in debt. Worse, even after they get their degree, getting a job is still a pain in the ass sometimes.
    11. Optimistic

12. 25
    13. Maine
    14. Yes
    15. Obama. Romney is a complete moron. Obama's not perfect, he's not even my top ten, but I think he's an alright president, if you can get past the propaganda and look at the actual facts. Romney on the other hand just wants what the Republican party wants: all the wealth to go to the 1% and more debt increasing tax cuts.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Cpand671 View Post
    Hey, I'm taking a sociology course and am doing a, "field experience," assignment. I've got a couple of questions to ask if any of you would like to answer them. Answer as many as you like, in no way should you feel obligated to answer them all.

1. What concerns you the most in respect to the direction this country seems to be taking?
    Religion in republican party

nothing, I believe it's pretty good comparatively to other countries, and is improving
    3. What concerns you most about the economy today? The State/Federal Budget? The Deficit? The growing gap in wealth and income as well as the poverty level?
    deficit concerns me. I believe democrats are working on a way to fix it, and republicans are working on a way to cover our eyes (war off budget for example; or lowering taxes by 20% - a very specific number, without having a specific number how to pay for it)
    I'm in technology, so I think it will be ok. I believe that a lot of low-skill jobs are leaving US forever, and holding on to them holds US back. Each time someone says 'we need to bring manufacturing back', I cringe a little. We need to work on future, and need to train current workforce for future. We don't need to assemble iphones.
    yes, and more so that it's a non-issue for both major parties - at least not worth a mention in 4 debates.
    6. What do you think about the Health Care Reform Act passed in 2010? How has the reform impacted you and family members directly? What are your thoughts on the Supreme Court's Decision that ruled on the constitutionality of the individual mandates?
    Just call it 'Obamacare' . Democrats failed to come up with a good name for it, and I almost said 'I don't know what it is'. By the way, I think you're using the short naming for it, the real name is like 5 or 6 words. It doesn't impact me, and I do like that now everyone has to pay into the system - instead of just those of us who choose to do so, and the rest of us getting free service at emergency rooms.
    good
    8. What are your thoughts on other happenings in the Middle East and Northern Africa (Egypt, Libya, and Syria)?
    good that they have uprisings, but US should work on promoting US-friendly governments. By very least giving money to candidate that is pro-US.
    that's what my wife is for. Just kidding, but I'm no good at it.
    should be accessible to all. should be cheaper, but probably not free (to those who can afford to pay for it)
    optimistic absolutely

12. How old are you?
    35 next week
    nj
    yes
    Obama

Thank you.

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not really overly concerned about anything. I don't generally fall for the scare tactics that politicos throw around. If anything, I'm concerned that no -real- change ever happens, that the Republicans and Democrats are so insanely similar no matter their insistence that they are a distinct choice. I think a third party is the only way to really change policy.

The only thing the concerns me about race in the US is that I feel a LOT of the crime and poverty still comes as a result of the 1) The Drug War and 2) Perpetuated abuse of the legal system against minorities. In order for the US to improve in those areas, the justice system needs to change when it comes to jailing large amounts of minorities. (What happens when the males of a community are put behind bars? What effect does that have on the family and the children in those communities? How does this cycle therefore perpetuate itself? Honestly answer those questions and think about it for a second and you'll see what a problem it is.)

First I'll say I'm not really concerned with income inequality. You can not artificially fix that, so there's no use focusing on the difference. You can't try and "Bring down the rich man" in order to fix the poverty problem, so it doesn't help to look at the difference. Focus on poverty on its own. As for the overall economy, I think a real hard look needs to be taken at the spending side of things. Do we need 10 aircraft carriers and 26 submarines? Military spending is out of control, and I think cutting back by even 50% will by no means put us in a vulnerable position, but it will put us in a much stronger position economically.

None. The economy goes in cycles. Ride the waves.

Not at all, not in the slightest. I don't believe that humans contribute a significant or noticeable amount to whatever climate change happens to be occurring at the moment. Whatever the climate is doing the eco-systems will adapts. The Earth isn't the same now as it was 500 years ago, and it won't be the same in 500 years. Of course we should be concerned with pollution in general, but Global Warming and Climate Change is not important. (Oh noes, the glaciers. Michigan used to be covered in a glacier, I'm glad that one melted... change does not necessarily equal bad. Why do people love glaciers so much?)

It's great, IMO. If you actually read through it, it's hard to disagree with. It has not impacted me directly, but the Medicare gap closure will have a positive impact on my grandmother. I feel like the mandate was necessary (due to the pre-existing conditions part; otherwise people would jump in when they needed care only). Is the healthcare system perfect? Not by any means. It's still royally fucked up and there's way to much money changing hands. But within the bounds of the current system, Obamacare is a good thing.

Should have pulled out a long time ago. I long for the days when Wars were declared, we would go, meet an objective, and come back. This ongoing War on Terror is not sustainable. What are we even still doing there? The terrorist networks have been pretty crippled for a while now. Pull back and address any future situations when they happen. Spending way too much time, money, and live on this.

As a global leader we need to have a presence (Embassy) in those areas, but that should be the limit of our involvement. There are a lot of governmental changes going on in that area and we honestly should not have a say in what happens. It's their country, let them be. We get involved, depose a dictator, and the following regime is not much better, so it gets us nowhere.

I am single. I work 40 hour a week as an engineer, see my mom/dad/brother a couple times per month.

I'm out of touch with it at the moment. I went to a private engineering college and had a LOT of scholarships. When I went it was about $20,000 per year for a 4.5 year program, so total bill was close to $100,000. When I graduated I had about $23,000 in debt. If I were to propose anything, I would want student loans to be at a guaranteed interest rate of 2-3%.

Generally optimistic. I'm not really concerned with how the nation runs; it just does. I'm way more excited about advancements in technology as we move forward.

12. How old are you?

Michigan

Yeah, although I generally choose not to vote.

Gary Johnson. I agree with what he says and I feel it would be a good shake-up for the country. The two party system feels like it's on rails, so the money, politics, subsidies, spending, etc etc etc aren't really going to change as long as it's Rep v Dem. Also I'd like the third parties to get exposure in the national election, and that can only happen if they get a substantial portion of the vote.

Thank you.[/QUOTE]

Extreme partisanship.
    The strong correlation to class and social status are really what's holding back progress.
    The wealth gap. Ideally you would have almost all belong to the middle class.
    For me personally, the cuts to science research have really impacted my career options. I don't think exporting our scientists and engineers is a good thing.
    Yes, and this should be a science issue, not a political one.
    Removing the pre-existing conditions clause was a great step.
    Wars are expensive. Debt is a threat to national security.
    I would like to see bigger strides for gender equality.
    ... very carefully?
    It's ridiculously overpriced. The social norm should be community college.
    Optimistic.

12. How old are you?
    North Carolina
    Yes
    Obama. I think education and science will do better under him, and I think the new health care bill was in the right direction. He's a bit too partisan and finger-pointy, but I generally prefer his path forward. McCain-Obama was a tough decision for me (until Palin), but not this time. I have the sneaking suspicion that Romney is a sociopath.

Thank you.[/QUOTE]

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpand671 View Post
    Fanaticism on both sides of political spectrum.

Reverse discrimination

The Fed. Also, not moving towards a system that remove monetary values. In couple decades, as technology increases and population continues to explode, there won't be jobs left for "humans", as we are moving to a more automated workplace.

See 3.

Not really.

Everyone will suffer. Doesn't effect my family, and the Supreme Court still has too much power.

Leave them be, they don't want "help".

Replacing one shithead government/leader for another.

Magic, one or the other, if you want both, both will suffer for it.

Entire education system is archaic and needs to be reworked. That said, cost is way to high unless the purpose is to keep people in debt.

Realistic?

12. How old are you?

VA

Nope.

N/A
    "Oh, wretched ephemeral race, children of chance and misery, why do you compel me to tell you what it would be more expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is utterly beyond your reach; not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. But the second best for you is --- to die soon." Silenus

The erosion of personal privacy via legislation (ie. Patriot Act, etc.) as well as the attempts to limit personal freedom by religious groups.

Not a lot, personally. I don't hold any misconceived notions about people simply because of a skin color.

The growing wealth gap as well as tax systems that now favor the wealthy.

Personally, none. For the nation: Businesses used to want to be a positive force in the communities, after all, the CEOs, etc. lived there. They had a real stake in the community they were in. Today MNCs are solely beholden to profit above all else, with the leadership detached (both physically and emotionally) from the reality of the everyday person.

Yes.

I'm for and against it. I don't feel that you should be forced to pay out for health care directly, it should be provided to all from tax revenue. This hasn't impacted me or family.

Sure, that's where OBL and AQ was. It's Iraq that I don't get.

Overdue.

I put my 40 hrs in, then go home and separate my personal life from work. They have no place being mingled together.

Too high,.

Pessimistic, people don't give a crap. Instead of sitting down and thinking rationally, they "lemming" along and just take for granted what they hear from their preacher or on the news. No critical thought, and they don't care to see motives.

12. How old are you?
    early 30s

MA

Yes

Obama, even though I don't like him all that much. My vote is primarily revolved around Supreme Court justices. I don't want a right-wing religious f-stick getting appointed that wants to legislate his morality / personal beliefs, as if all other measures of decency are arbitrary.
    Last edited by ewhenn; 2012-11-01 at 06:18 PM.

1. We need to reform our education system badly. We're falling even further behind the rest of the first world.

2. Racism is still alive and is never going to go away and we need to get rid of affirmative action.

3. We don't need more conservatives and their trickle down economics. The wealth gap is at what it was back during the 20s which is fucking sad.... I can't see how some many people actually think letting the rich bank all that extra income they get actually generates jobs. They have 90%+ of the wealth in the country, so where are all these jobs they're going to create????

4. It's slowly improving and is probably going to get better over the next 4 years.

5. Nope, I think it's being blown out proportion just to scare people into switching over to green energy and buying green products.

6. I think its going about it the wrong way. I wish the government would just take over all the insurance companies and completely run the healthcare system by itself, and pay for all of it through tax money.

7. It's a waste of money and more importantly lives. The Taliban is just going take it back over a few years after we leave. We killed Bin Laden, so we're over there propping up a corrupt regime because?

8. Good for them. If they want to be free overthrow your dictator, just don't ask for the United States for help. We should stay out of other countries internal affairs, even if that means ignoring genocide.

9. Don't have a family

10. It keeps rising and poorer people can't afford to go to college/university. Something needs to be done about it.

11. Pessimistic. The nation has seen its glory days, its all down hill from here. We might be able to turn it around, but seeing how much partisanship that takes place DC, I have extreme doubts.

12. 23

13. Michigan

14. Yes

15. Probably Obama, he's the lesser of two evils.

Probably education. The ridiculous partisan atmosphere and apparent inability for us as a society to hold conversations because of it would be a close second.

That people think that it exists more than it does. Look, there's always going to be people that are racist(and therefore ignorant). But not everything that happens is based on skin color.

Income gap, followed closely by the deficit.

Me personally, not much. Comp sci major ftw. Although there are too many people with useless degrees and an apparently insurmountable 1-5 years experience required for entry-level jobs nowadays. So that's a problem.

Not really. Not saying they don't exist, not having a conversation on weather cycles, not saying we shouldn't take better care of our environment. But as far as a day-to-day thing, it never crosses my mind.

I think it's a lot of fuss for something that could have been handled a lot better with a lot more impact. They could have just called it the "Make Medicare/Medicaid Not Suck Act" and probably had a lot less resistance and a lot more political goodwill. Personal/family member impact - none, really. Eh. I didn't read the rulings, so gonna stay silent on that one.

Fucking ridiculous. Play to win, or gtfo. If we're in a war, fight it like a war. If we're unwilling/unable to do so, then get out.

I support them in making positive changes in their countries(whether it lines up with our views of what they should be or not). Although one of my best friends just got shipped out to Egypt(National Guard), so I'm a little worried.

Work stays at work. No overtime, nights, or weekends. Work hard, play hard.

Again, fucking ridiculous. And it's not based on the quality of the degree, either. Feel soooo sorry for a lot of Humanities majors right now.

Optimistic.

12. How old are you?

North Carolina

Yes

Most likely Gary Johnson, unless I do a write-in. I'm not a birther or truther or whatever else it's socially acceptable to call people for not wanting to vote for President Obama, but I'm not going to. Same goes for Romney. Neither one of them really impresses me, and I don't bother doing the whole "Vote for the lesser of two evils" nonsense.