Thread: What size SSD?

Deleted

What size SSD?

Hi there, I've ordered a new computer included a 128gb SSD, but now I'm wondering whether that will be enough. I'm intending to use it for Windows 7, WoW, Sims 3 + expansions and perhaps iTunes if there is room.

I've done some googling and found that there are ways to minimise the space that Windows and WoW takes up on the drive, but could anyone advise whether realistically I'll be able to fit all of these things onto a 128gb drive?

Thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    The programs themselves should come pretty close, but the iTunes library, especially one like mine, should be reserved for a TB HDD or two.

My SSD is 128 and holds Windows 7, WoW and a few other programs that I couldn't put onto my HDD for some bizarre reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihnasir View Post
    The programs themselves should come pretty close, but the iTunes library, especially one like mine, should be reserved for a TB HDD or two.

My SSD is 128 and holds Windows 7, WoW and a few other programs that I couldn't put onto my HDD for some bizarre reason.
    Turn hibernation off to gain 6GB and rune tuneup to delete windows backup restore points.

Deleted
    music and video > get hdd
    hell my slow ass external usb one still rocking solid (the speeds are horrible but barely good enough but hey 7 year old budget tech)
    Just install an extra 2tb WD green or something and you got all the storage you'll likely ever need.
    as for optimizing ssd just removing hibernation will do (imo windows restore points are really convinient when stuff goes bad software related)

Deleted
    Great thanks, the reason I wanted iTunes on the SSD is because my experience has been that it's a horribly slow-loading programme, but if I can get away with 128gb with iTunes on the HDD I'll put up with it - always happy to save money

Another way to get a couple extra gb's free, is to move the pagefile to another drive. Theres no reason for it to be on the c-drive really.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtc View Post
    Hi there, I've ordered a new computer included a 128gb SSD, but now I'm wondering whether that will be enough. I'm intending to use it for Windows 7, WoW, Sims 3 + expansions and perhaps iTunes if there is room.

I've done some googling and found that there are ways to minimise the space that Windows and WoW takes up on the drive, but could anyone advise whether realistically I'll be able to fit all of these things onto a 128gb drive?

Thanks!
    If you're foolish enough to have bound yourself with iTunes, ditch it to an HDD. Just stupid to waste good SSD space with it.

256gb agility 4 - $129.99 at the price we'd be fools to not say thats your best option today.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ituhippi View Post
    If you're foolish enough to have bound yourself with iTunes, ditch it to an HDD. Just stupid to waste good SSD space with it.
    What I've done is installed iTunes (Yes, I am stuck with it ) to my SSD while my music library is on another drive.

That way iTunes launches with SSD speed (still slow compared to most programs though) and yet all your music and videos etc are still on a mechanical drive.

There are many guides as how to move your iTunes library location, look one up and you're good to go!
    Last edited by mmocd5adff39f2; 2012-10-31 at 01:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Yes you will still have a good chunk of free space on a 128Gig SSD

Honestly, going up a size is going to be more important for speed purposes than giving you room. once you hit the 256 size is when you are hitting the drives that are going to perform the best. It's one of the fun things about SSD's as far as bigger being faster as well.

As for fitting what you want on that smaller drive, I really wouldn't see too many problems. Just have itunes program on that drive and the media files on a seperate drive.

Certainly don't move the page file off of the SSD. There has always been a lot of discussion about where a page file should go concerning several drives, physical or logical, on a mechanical setup, but when you have an SSD that is where it needs to go. You will use a small chunk of space for it but the performance would drop significantly placing it on a seperate mechanical drive. Microsoft has even confirmed this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gtc View Post

Thanks!
    128GB should be plenty for Windows (20-30GB), programs and WoW (20-30GB) plus some other games, unless you plan on running like 5-6 MMOs =)

I used an 80GB Intel SSD earlier and use to have about 18-20GB free space, then I swapped to a Samsung 830 128GB to get more head room, but haven't found a game that benefits much from the faster loading yet, so I have those extra 48GB free as well now =)

Just set your swap file to something like 1024MB (for compatibility, otherwise just turn it off) and remove the hibernate file and you free up a lot of space, since both of those dfault to something like your full RAM size (with my 8GB RAM I saved 15GB by doing this.)

Never used iTunes so I don't know how it works. If it puts a bunch of music files on the same drive, then keep it on a HDD. I moved my Steam folder to the HDD for the same reason, none of the games I have on it benefit much from faster loading times anyway.
    In the darkness all cats are gray...
    www.onyxsoft.se - Amigans never surrender, they know they can do it better =)

128 + as a general rule imo.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    256gb agility 4 - $129.99 at the price we'd be fools to not say thats your best option today.
    i don't see how a slower ssd is a good option?

Samsung 830 265GB should be available for a decent price. If you don't like Samsung the Crucial M4 is an equally good option. These disks are fast, reliable and will fit WoW, Sims 3 with expansions and 2-3 more games while still being able to have all your programs and have room to download stuff to for temporary storing. like big files from the web etc.

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    i don't see how a slower ssd is a good option?
    Because even slow SSD will be 100x faster than fast HDD, and size is more important factor for people like the OP.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.