Improve our Elemental Shaman

Our Ele Sham is having a hard time keeping up with the DPS. He's one of our best geared raiders, but his numbers just aren't up to snuff. I've gone through all the basic checks with him - uptime, castbar/latency addon, simcraft, rotation. Not sure what or if he's missing anything here. Also, WOL is being buggy for us so this log is from a week or two ago:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=2350&e=3042

And his current armory:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Kegsy/advanced

He was pulling up the rear by a significant margin (tied with our shadow priest) on our Zor'lok kill tonight too.

Any help would be appreciated.

Deleted
    With that gear and those stats he is just slacking, may not be using keybinds and is just clicking but that looks pathetic for a ele shaman with that gear. Also he needs a new weapon enchant! Jade Spirit! Also get him to check mrbot as frequently as he changes a piece of gear so he can change stats on his items to get best out of his gear.

Our rule has been - no enchants on weapons less than 489. No one in that log had Sha Crystal enchants. That would just cover up the issue.

I'll check with the keybinding thing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Felade View Post
    Our rule has been - no enchants on weapons less than 489. No one in that log had Sha Crystal enchants. That would just cover up the issue.

I'll check with the keybinding thing.
    That's fair enough but it would be a massive dps increase and it's not that expensive as enchanting mats are so easy to get these days. Definite check keybindings and layout of his spells on his castbar quicker you can react the more damage you can do whether on the move or not. Also just double check his mrrobot because without the right enough of certain stats you could have full 502 gear but your dps would not be as good as that of a reforged 464 gear.

---------- Post added 2012-10-31 at 03:20 PM ----------

According to MRROBOT he is missing these reforg

Hands : Spirit -> HasteRating
    Head : Spirit -> MasteryRating
    Shoulders : Spirit -> MasteryRating
    MainHand : Spirit -> HasteRating
    Wrists : CritRating -> MasteryRating
    Ring2 : Spirit -> HasteRating
    Back : CritRating -> HasteRating
    Neck : HitRating -> HasteRating

and he is missing leg enchant and he has t14 ..... sigh and haste on his gloves!!

Sort it out lol

Well,

First of all. His reforging is literally a hot ass mess.

For casters, spirit = hit, expertise = hit. He reforged out of spirit for crit and mastery, but then reforged out of crit for spirit. Makes no sense.

He's also not hit capped? That might be a small issue...(lol) 15% is cap.

His haste is also really low. At this point in the game, straight-intellect gemming is not viable. Secondary stats for gems are much more beneficial. He has a lot of mastery, but your mastery can't be effective if you aren't casting quickly enough to make it shine.

His meta is also 2nd best to the Revitalizing Primal Diamond.

Tell him to look at this: maxdps.com/shaman/elemental.php

This link has gems, reforges, and enchants/BiS list.

Hope this helps,

Izzy

He keybinds, and doesn't click.

10+ Year Old Account
    Will of emperor is definitely not a fight where eles shine. But I looked at his logs for your stoneguard kill, a fight where Ele is decent. I pull almost twice as much dps compared to what he does there. This is my log from our latest (quite messy) kill. I have comparable gear, 1 ivl higher.

Note that his fight lasts 61 seconds longer than mine.

- My searing totem does twice the damage his searing does, while his fight lasts 1 minute longer. That is a matter of uptime and not properly tracking his totem.
    - I have 59 lava bursts casts vs his 34.
    - I have 170 chain lightnings casts vs his 80.
    - My flame shock upti;e is 96.7% (far from perfect) vs his 76.4%
    - I have 43 lightning bolts casts vs his 4.
    - I have 9 earth shocks casts vs his 3.
    - I have 14 elemental blasts casts vs his 10.

Honestly it looks like after every other spellcast he takes a break to scratch his balls. I went through other logs as well quickly and tbh I don't think this guy has an issue with the elemental shaman spec, but rather with the very basics of raiding as a whole (i.e. spellqueing). There is a perfect guide here among the stickies that covers every possible scenario for ele shamans. You won't top the meters if you are new, but it's a spec that is fairly easy to play at a decent level in pve.

I don't know where to start, but he should know the fundamentals (see the guide) and track stuff properly (there are several premade interfaces available for ele shamans on this board). As long as he doesn't cover both aspects I'm afraid that even in BiS gear he'll be miles behind.
    Last edited by zenga; 2012-10-31 at 03:36 PM.

Will of emperor is definitely not a fight where eles shine. But I looked at his logs for your stoneguard kill, a fight where Ele is decent. I pull almost twice as much dps compared to what he does there. This is my log from our latest (quite messy) kill. I have comparable gear, 1 ivl higher.
    That stoneguard kill is from awhile back so he does have better gear since that point.

Reforgings were odd because we were trying different reforgings in simcraft. I'm going to have a big pow wow with his armory and mr. robot today, then I'm going to take him to spellcaster boot camp on all that stuff zenga talked about. I wish WoL tracked APM or GCDs used or something.

For fuss free reforging, simply use the ReforgeLite addon. Get it, go to a reforger, click on the spec you want (Ele Shaman), and click adjust for Raids +3. Click Calculate, Show, then Reforge.

Voila. Perfect Reforging in seconds.

For learning the elemental shamn rotation, I'd suggest you grab Elementarist, a rotation helper. It helps with learning. But ofc, please read the guide so you know when to differ from what it's recommending you to do (e.g. dont stand in bad to get a LvB cast off)