Deleted

Tips regarding Overwhelming Assault on Blade Lord Ta'yak - Blood DK

So my guild went into Heart of Fear tonight. We managed to get Blade Lord down but I feel like we were doing something wrong with the Overwhelming Assaults. I'm one of the tanks btw.

At first we thought that it was just a simply taunt of when get a debuff mechanic. So I got one stack and then the other tank taunted of me. After his stack I taunted the boss back but now the boss would cast another Overwhelming Assault before I lost my debuff. This didn't happen all of the time (I'm not sure but I think we lost the debuff when Unseen Strike and Overwhelming Assault came of cd at the same time and the boss prioritized doing Unseen Strike) but lets say around 80-90 %.

So then we switched tactics and had the tanks taunt off each other at two stacks giving the other tank enough time to lose his debuff. This however was really risk since the tank runs the risk of getting one-shot by the boss. Our warrior tank seemed to have less of a problem with this but I as a blood DK had a lot of trouble.

The warrior was able to use shield wall on almost all of his second applications of Overwhelming Assault and when it was on cooldown he popped a small cd and was alright as long as he was topped off.

We alternated between our druids dmg reduction and icebound fortitudes on me. This worked if we timed it in correctly but to me it seemed like the dbm timer was off and the boss hit me before or way too long after (so that I didn't have my dmg reduction). This also made it hard to stack a blood shield since If I stacked it too early I would just lose it but If I stacked it late I would die.

We managed to kill him after a couple of tries but it still felt like we were doing something wrong. Are we missing something or do we just have to time our cd:s better and take the (in my opinion) somewhat off dbm timer into consideration?

Thanks

You should be tank swapping at 2 stacks, not alternating them. Me and my blood dk, while testing out some mechanics on the boss, we took 3 stacks, if we were topped off, we would live. But we ddecided its safest to swap every 2 stacks. You shouldn't get one shot from 2nd stack application unless you are sitting at low hp the whole time. Watch the timers on assualt and pop a cd for the next application. Without logs, its hard to judge but maybe you lacked getting topped off.
    As a blood dk, you should be able to keep your blood shield up while your other tank is tanking, at least my blood dk usually does that and don't spike when taunting.

If they tweaked any numbers between beta and live (likely) DBM will need a bit of time to catch up and make changes.

We just used 3 tanks and killed him without a problem next pull.

25-man mind you. Our tanks would get hit for 700k with just one stack.
    Last edited by Nitros14; 2012-10-31 at 10:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Swapping at 2 stacks and never ever had a tank death during our few attempts before our kill.

Didn't even need to pop cds
    Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    Blizzard offered cardboard cut outs with poster pictures of bosses stapled on them upside down and sideways and many players now feel that is raiding.
    Raxxykins

Swapped at 2 stacks here as well, did not have much of an issue as a blood DK, only times I would be brought low was when I was not topped off before the assault.

Deleted
    Ok so the way to do it is to swap at 2 stacks like we did.
    Just need to improve the execution some.
    Thanks for the help

As blood DK try to keep a decent blood shield up before the hit comes.
    Also, if you change tanks at 2 stacks, it's enough time to use the Bone Shield for every 2nd Assault on you (when the damage is ~550k). Bone Shield combined with a blood shield can shave a lot of that damage.

Deleted
    Also unglyphed Vamp to give you a hp boost for 2nd hit can be very nice. Unglyphed Vamp and Bone Shield for second application is perfectly fine. As you should have a Blood Shield also.
    You also have IBF that will allow you to take 3 stacks Hell as a Guardian Druid I can take 4 stacks with my cd's. So am sure with you IBF/Army you'll be fine.

Purgatory is awesome for blade lord or just use a cd with about ~25-28 secs left on the debuff

Are you guys talking 10 or 25man? Our tanks are getting one shot on the second application

If you're doing 10m and switching on 2 applications of the debuff, you can watch the timer on the first debuff application and when it gets to 25 seconds remaining you can pop a cooldown and survive pretty easily. What you have to watch out for though is if the boss is about to do an Unseen Strike then you should hold off on the cooldown until a second after coming out of the unseen strike.