Hunter pet Issues on Imperial Vizier Zor'lok

I have reported a few issues concerning hunters using the in game bug report system but I wanted to check in here as well in case others have a better understanding of whats going on or causing the issues.

1. On pull pet runs to boss due to aoe damage and gets hit; putting pets on passive seems to resolve this. Is this a tank issue? (we have a Fire mage or dps dk pull the boss)

2. During transitions, pet seems to either get jibbed by boss or just dies when you reach the other platform (this can happen with demonic gateway as well.

EDIT: General consensus here for these two issues seems to be that this is a normal boss mechanic as the boss attacked the first attacker on any platform and pet management is required; use petattack macros with pet on passive, or switch pet stances appropriately. Using cower/snake trap can also help reduce pet damage taken.

3. There is a chance on phase 2 transition for the pet to get locked out of the encounter; its alive yet it cannot reach boss and cannot be dismissed. Ruins the damage output. (I play BM, but its bad for any spec). This has happened once only, but ofc, its possible for other to experience the same issue.

UPDATE:I have been told by a fellow hunter that if you mash assist/passive stance repeatedly and quickly, the pet can get back to the boss in p2; I have had no opportunity to check this (whenever the bug reappears) but any confirmation would be helpful.
    EDIT:Confirmed by Hikashuri below. (post#14)

Any tips for pet management for this fight are welcome.
    EDIT: Thanks to all posters here for all the suggestions mentioned so far.
    Last edited by ttak82; 2012-11-08 at 05:07 AM. Reason: updates to solutions

I haven't really experienced any of the above, as I've personally found a few tricks that seem to prove useful.

For starters, we MD pull just fine. Also, when the boss moves to another platform and my pet is in range, I'll use cower. It's survived the boss' hit without a problem, and the tank then taunted immediately, as expected.
    I've even tried a Snake Trap to help 'soak' possible targets if the tank isn't there yet, and I think that has also helped for our learning attempts, as we had a few melee getting one-shot for being too quick.

We done this with two hunters, and the only problem we had, it's like my pet died because he hit the boss before tank.

First 2 issues is just a boss mechanic. After landing he's waiting for first melee to attack him then aggroes that attacker. Solution is simple, keep pet on passive untill tank starts to melee boss (you can use all ranged attacks prior to this without aggroing).
    As for 3, I didn't expirience any pet stuck issues during transition to phase 2.

Deleted
    Basically just keep it on passive, make a /petattack macro, use it when the tank has engaged and your pet won't die anymore, simple. You may actually want to use this more often than you think if you're playing BM as superior pet control can make quite a difference when it comes to DPS or sometimes your pet is delayed in switching to a different target when on assist.

Example, on Elegon Heroic we as ranged switch to the Celestial Protector on occasion, this is essential for our tactic to get a specific amount of spawns before transition, if he were on passive the response of my pets DPS on the adds would be delayed. This also goes for the Energy Charges on transition which need to be DPSed down immediately and in order for us to meet our wave quota if my pet was running around like a headless chicken my pillar may fail due to low DPS.

Many thanks to all for the replies.

The use of cower and snake trap seems worth a try for the next few attempts.

As for the petattack macro, I have it already - Im considering adding the command to Serpent sting to ease control/keybind space.

@striipes - On elegon, I also put pet on passive for p1 and p3 and that is pretty much the way to go. It helps alot on just having pet uptime on the boss while spamming AS on protectors (2 spawns) (normal mode pov - not yet reached hc level); for sparks i keep it on assist and command it to attack before i use KC on energy charges - else it tends to kc the boss and you lose a ton of focus.

Im hoping the phase 2 bug does not occur again on Zor'lok.

Hmm I think I can find some use for terrorpene after all

You're missing a boss mechanic.
    My pet got 1 shotted on this fight a couple of times before I realized it. Whoever is first on the platform gets attacked by the boss.
    So what I do is just put pet on passive while we are running between platforms, and when tank engages the boss I put it back on assistance.
    Problem solved

Deleted
    Get faster tanks, gg

Quote Originally Posted by Nitewatcher View Post
    Whoever is first on the platform gets attacked by the boss.
    Whoever attacks the boss first gets hit, normal aggro mechanics. I've been first on the platform with engineering boots and the boss did not engage me until I attacked him.

You could also try the glyph of Endless Wrath, if you can somehow manage to get onto the platform at around the same time your pet does. The glyph makes it impossible for your pet to be killed during BW, but the primary problem is how you can't cast BW while in the middle.

There's also the option of getting a turtle and macroing mend pet to /cast cower /cast shell shield for a 70% damage reduction that should allow it to survive one hit.

I don't have the problems are you listing. Maybe you just need a pet attack pet follow macro? Don't let your pet touch dude before the tank does or he goes SPLAT!

3. There is a chance on phase 2 transition for the pet to get locked out of the encounter; its alive yet it cannot reach boss and cannot be dismissed. Ruins the damage output. (I play BM, but its bad for any spec). This has happened once only, but ofc, its possible for other to experience the same issue.
    I've had this happen to me also. I believe it happened when we got MCs during the transition and I remained on the platform for too long trying to get them out. The boss pulled me in the middle but my pet stayed stuck on the platform.

Quote Originally Posted by sipp View Post
    I've had this happen to me also. I believe it happened when we got MCs during the transition and I remained on the platform for too long trying to get them out. The boss pulled me in the middle but my pet stayed stuck on the platform.
    Yes, this could be one reason; would be nice to have the raid stacked nearer to the edge so that pets are closer to the boss on transition if they are on MCd people.. I have also edited my OP for a possible solution while this issue still remains.

Deleted
    Had that issue happening today, switching pet stances rapidly seemed to instantly debug it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikashuri View Post
    Had that issue happening today, switching pet stances rapidly seemed to instantly debug it.
    Thankyou for the confirmation. Updating my post.

Just have to recall pet to you when running in between platforms (even if it's on assist it will come back to you and stay with you till you send it in again). If there is no tank in range of the boss then the boss is going to attack anything that is in range and as pets have dash that will often be the pet.