elegon 25 normal advice (logs included)

im just wondering if theres anything i can be doing better to up my dps during that.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-gbb3yqy7njal2f06/

thnx, any input would be appreciated.

Deleted
    Take Mannoroth's fury and line up a soulburned SOC and a normal SOC to both explode onto the star adds. Even if you are yourself solo on a star, you have enough time (on 10 heroic atleast) to line up a few SOC's to help the raid aswell as kill your own star. (By star adds I mean energy charges)
    Last edited by mmoc332a0f6d01; 2012-11-02 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Stupid Typos

Quote Originally Posted by Jamandbread View Post
    Take Mannoroth's fury and line up a soulburned SOC and a normal SOC to both explode onto the star adds. Even if you are yourself solo on a star, you have enough time (on 10 heroic atleast) to line up a few SOC's to help the raid aswell as kill your own star. (By star adds I mean energy charges)
    This is incorrect. You should be focusing on your target Energy Charge and as soon as it is dead switching to help a nearby neighbor (who shouldn't need help to be honest) and if there is no one that needs help, immediately return to DPSing Elegon. The -only- time my dots fall off of Elegon is when he becomes immune, I Soulswap them off of him (Unglyphed for this fight) and put them on a pillar.

You asked for DPS increases. It would be a huge decreaseto throw up two SoC's, then sit and wait to blow them up for the adds to spawn.

I didn't check your logs, I can't when I'm at work. But basically the same goes for everything, uptime, uptime, uptime. If you can it something, make sure you're hitting it. And never, never, never let Agony fall off your main target unless you have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Femto1 View Post
    You asked for DPS increases. It would be a huge decreaseto throw up two SoC's, then sit and wait to blow them up for the adds to spawn.
    Why would you "sit and wait" for them to blow up? Just start casting a SB:SOC and a normal SoC when there's around 2-2.5 seconds left on Elegons channel. They will explode right after the energy charges spawn, putting corruption on each of them so you get nightfall procs as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Calz View Post
    Why would you "sit and wait" for them to blow up? Just start casting a SB:SOC and a normal SoC when there's around 2-2.5 seconds left on Elegons channel. They will explode right after the energy charges spawn, putting corruption on each of them so you get nightfall procs as well.
    Simple - because once he gets two or three stacks of the increased damage debuff a tick of Agony+UA+Cor will make your seeds explode before the sparks even spawn, thereby wasting a Soulshard and your time. Unless you have absolutely perfect timing, and no human does, doing this every time would be near to impossible.

Deleted
    This is incorrect.
    Are you sure? As nearly every log of any warlock i've seen kill it on heroic has included nearly 10% of their damage as SOC (including myself) and up to around 15-20%
    It not only increases damage done to all the adds and applies corruption to them, but I would have hoped you could keep 2 dots up on the boss (UA and agony) while casting 2 spells for around a 47K hit to each charge.
    And as he is 25 man (this part is guesswork, as I raid 10 mans) he could surely just sit on the boss and spam SOC while keeping dots up, doing more damage to all the charges than he would be able to do to one himself while also damaging the boss aswell (iirc), maybe allowing his guild to do another set of charges?

Are you sure? As nearly every log of any warlock i've seen kill it on heroic has included nearly 10% of their damage as SOC (including myself) and up to around 15-20%
    It not only increases damage done to all the adds and applies corruption to them, but I would have hoped you could keep 2 dots up on the boss (UA and agony) while casting 2 spells for around a 47K hit to each charge.
    And as he is 25 man (this part is guesswork, as I raid 10 mans) he could surely just sit on the boss and spam SOC while keeping dots up, doing more damage to all the charges than he would be able to do to one himself while also damaging the boss aswell (iirc), maybe allowing his guild to do another set of charges?
    Perhaps your right, but timing it to hit every spark instantly when they appear sounds hard to me unless you're not laying it down on Elegon at that time. I do SB:SOC him right before they spawn, my casts usually finishes around .1 to .3 of his but I do not stack two on him. Every time I've tried to stack two of them the first Seed explodes after the second or third stack of his debuff (from my Dots) before I can get the second one on him.

A >crapload< of my damage comes from AoEing the tiny adds during the pillar phases.

Simple - because once he gets two or three stacks of the increased damage debuff a tick of Agony+UA+Cor will make your seeds explode before the sparks even spawn, thereby wasting a Soulshard and your time. Unless you have absolutely perfect timing, and no human does, doing this every time would be near to impossible.
    Then you're casting it too early. Just wait longer. It's really not as hard to time as you say it is.

Deleted

A >crapload< of my damage comes from AoEing the tiny adds during the pillar phases.
    Well i'm pretty stupid for forgetting this...

Anyway, it seemed to help my group loads when I just lined up SOC on the boss before the charges came up, and we didn't suffer much from me basically sitting on the boss spamming SOC and MG'ing between explosions. 30% was around the normal % when we pushed it. I don't see how his damage or his groups would increase by him doing a weak swap to the charges (UA, corruption and then spamming haunt/mg) rather than the explosion hitting for a large amount then corruption on each charge.
    I'm still stupid for forgetting about the transition adds

Well i'm pretty stupid for forgetting this...

Anyway, it seemed to help my group loads when I just lined up SOC on the boss before the charges came up, and we didn't suffer much from me basically sitting on the boss spamming SOC and MG'ing between explosions. 30% was around the normal % when we pushed it. I don't see how his damage or his groups would increase by him doing a weak swap to the charges (UA, corruption and then spamming haunt/mg) rather than the explosion hitting for a large amount then corruption on each charge. I'm still stupid for forgetting about the transition adds
    Hey, it's cool.

I'm probably screwing up the SoC on the spawn. I just can't manage to stack two and have them explode at the right time and get on my target right away. (I'm on 10 man.) After my target dies, I usually have to help either the Shadow Priest or Tanks in our group, so killing my add very quickly is very important. (Our tanks do awesome - until vengeance wears off.)

On 25, there's probably way more wiggle room. I overlooked that fact until your last post.
    Last edited by Femto1; 2012-11-02 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Clarity

Some suggestions

Good Afternoon,
    I was looking at your logs and I noticed certain things that stood out. First your raid didn't down him, so you probably didn't get the minimum 8 spark waves required to beat the enrage timer. This is crucial since it makes the boss take 10% more dmg per wave. if you guys get more waves your raid dps overall will go up dramatically. Specially if you do what we do, and kill 5 waves on the first phase two, and only three waves on the second phase two.

Second, and this applies directly to you as a warlock, your dot uptimes were low on the attempt you linked. Even on try 9, which you did better on, you had an uptime of 67% for Unstable Affliction, 68.5% for agony, and 74.9% for corruption.

Dot uptime is crucial, as such I suggest you do try the following.

Step 1: Make sure your dot tracker can track dots on ALL targets you currently have dotted. Not just your target.
    Step 2: Make simple modifier macros for your three dots so that they are cast on your focus when you press shift.
    Step 3: Make Elegon your focus target before the fight. This way you can easily redot him without having to change target from the adds or the sparks.

I hope this helped, and I am by no means implying I play perfectly. Just giving some insight from the little things I know.

Keep practicing, this fight is a warlock bootcamp!

-III-

Here's my last log at about 153k dps (my gear was still pretty terrible when I got this kill). http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-it...=11077&e=11579

Seed the orbs, you do pretty insane damage to all of them. Your dots rolling should blow them up before you can even get another seed cast off. If you can soulburn seed, do it. The extra corruption tics gives you a very nice chance at additional free shards.

You can also seed spam the shards. Make sure that if Elegon is not immune, you have dots on him at all times.