10+ Year Old Account

I just hair dryered my computer to fix it.

I had the black screen problem, and held the hair dryer on it on different spots for about 20 mins. 15 mins later i start it up and it works like new.
    Just wanted to tell everyone that it actually works if someone suggests it. Yay!

probably dust in the cooling fans or something

Deleted
    You might've melted some tin or whatever back together that broke.

I don't know what you think you accomplished, but this is not a safe or reliable way to deal with computer trouble. Based on your diagnosis of whatever problem you had as "the black screen problem" and the fact that you thought this would work in the first place, you clearly don't have the know-how to avoid seriously wrecking your shit. Coincidentally, you managed to get lucky and have the problem appear to go away, and thankfully your hair dryer probably didn't get hot enough to actually do any damage or melt anything. At most, you might have blown some dust out of the fans, but you could have done that without endangering your expensive electronics.

Exactly what Enetheru said, we advise against using a hair dryer on any PC component. Not only can you damage them with the heat, but hair dryers often build up a lot of static electricity that could then be discharged onto the component which would ruin said component.

You may have lucked out and not damaged anything, but that is nothing but good fortune. Because this "advise" can often result in damaged components, I'm gonna lock this thread.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-11-03 at 01:57 AM.