Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by morbidone View Post
    Obviously if they are taxed, then the insinuation was to increase it....sort of like tariffs.
    I felt confident that ppl would understand something so simple.
    This comes back to writing skills being an important part of college education. Also, tariffs are taxes. Here, play with this and don't hurt yourself. http://encyclopedia.kids.net.au/page/ta/Tariff

Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    How about we just tax religious establishments.
    That is a great idea!
    Also, remove tax credits for charitable donations to churches, because they aren't charities!
    Last edited by morbidone; 2012-11-04 at 05:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    oh hey your the guy that was complaining about having to write a 6 page paper... also taxing the rich = bad news for everyone else because they move out of the nation and we lose that income

---------- Post added 2012-11-04 at 01:07 AM ----------

because seperation of church and state.... that being said the government is at least keeping up its half of the deal sorta
    The whole point of no taxation on Churches was to keep religion out of politics, but that has since been ignored. Religion is also supposed to be non-profit charity, and that is also bullshit as the Catholic Church is one of the most successful businesses in the world. Religion hasn't kept their side of the bargain, so why should the government?

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post

because seperation of church and state.... that being said the government is at least keeping up its half of the deal sorta
    That is just another reason TO tax them.
    By giving them a special place, you aren't separating them!

I don't think you understand this basic 3rd grade civics lesson.

Obviously if they are taxed, then the insinuation was to increase it....sort of like tariffs.
    I felt confident that ppl would understand something so simple.

---------- Post added 2012-11-04 at 05:03 AM ----------

Shitty food is a good one.
    Those other two are already taxed pretty heavily though.
    And here I thought we were dealing with an intelligent person.

The "wealthy" (as defined by Obama to be anyone who makes more than 250k a year) already pay most of the tax's.

An example in practice of what you are suggesting: I am employed by a small company. The owner already pays (increasing) tax's on his business. He ALSO pays increasing tax's on his private incomes. (Yes, the Feds actually tax him twice.) You are suggesting that he actually be taxed even further which is, well, stupid.

Why is it stupid? All those "wealthy" people are the one's that employ the non-wealthy. Increase the taxes on the wealthy and they'll have to find that money from somewhere...typically by not hiring/firing employee's.

Please do SOME research on this topic before you continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    This comes back to writing skills being an important part of college education. Also, tariffs are taxes. Here, play with this and don't hurt yourself. http://encyclopedia.kids.net.au/page/ta/Tariff
    Yes, tariffs are taxes... FFS.
    Just like alcohol taxes are taxes.

If alcohol taxes were in the list, and I even told you to increase taxes that already exist, then what would you do?
    Raise taxes on imports, aka Tariffs!

Maybe, you are right. You could definitely use some more classes.

---------- Post added 2012-11-04 at 05:19 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Twotonsteak View Post
    And here I thought we were dealing with an intelligent person.

The "wealthy" (as defined by Obama to be anyone who makes more than 250k a year) already pay most of the tax's.

An example in practice of what you are suggesting: I am employed by a small company. The owner already pays (increasing) tax's on his business. He ALSO pays increasing tax's on his private incomes. (Yes, the Feds actually tax him twice.) You are suggesting that he actually be taxed even further which is, well, stupid.

Why is it stupid? All those "wealthy" people are the one's that employ the non-wealthy. Increase the taxes on the wealthy and they'll have to find that money from somewhere...typically by not hiring/firing employee's.

Please do SOME research on this topic before you continue.
    Rich people = Job Creator

That is nothing more than a myth sir... You have bought the aristocratic propaganda hook, line, and sinker.
    Last edited by morbidone; 2012-11-04 at 05:23 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    taxes : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XMpYO7E1dQ

environment : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DX3lZ8peBU

dont watch unless over 18 harsh words and maybe nudity and all that.(maybe)
    im trap in this bullshit this routine of life. they build us all up just to tear us all down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_fruit
    "its like my tongue on LSD"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    The whole point of no taxation on Churches was to keep religion out of politics, but that has since been ignored. Religion is also supposed to be non-profit charity, and that is also bullshit as the Catholic Church is one of the most successful businesses in the world. Religion hasn't kept their side of the bargain, so why should the government?
    Actually, when you tell a religous organization, hospital, business, etc. that they MUST provide something, then by definition you have already broken the bargain.. and when it bites you in the ass I dont want to hear about it. if you dont want the church in the state's business then stay the hell out of their's... just sayin'

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just like alcohol tax are taxes.

If alcohol taxes were in the list, and I even told you to go ahead and increase taxes that exist, then what would you do?

Nice one. It's not like being less grammatically correct than a non-native English speaker is indicative of anything at all.

First I would ask you where you said "Tax more" in your original statement. Then I would point out that editing your original post title at 6:13 AM doesn't change the title on the forum listing.
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2012-11-04 at 05:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by crikk23 View Post
    taxes : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XMpYO7E1dQ

environment : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DX3lZ8peBU

dont watch unless over 18 harsh words and maybe nudity and all that.(maybe)
    Their show is quite biased, but still rather entertaining.

---------- Post added 2012-11-04 at 05:25 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Nice one. It's not like being less grammatically correct than a non-native English speaker is indicative of anything at all.

First I would ask you where you said "Tax more" in your original statement. Then I would point out that editing your original post title at 6:13 AM doesn't change the original title on the forum listing.
    Its a forum, probably the most informal place to write anything.
    Its my fault this forum programming blows now?
    Last edited by morbidone; 2012-11-04 at 05:26 AM.

Just like alcohol taxes are taxes.

If alcohol taxes were in the list, and I even told you to that you should increase taxes that already exist, then what would you do?

---------- Post added 2012-11-04 at 05:19 AM ----------

That is nothing more than a myth sir... You have bought the aristocratic propaganda hook, line, and sinker.
    Do yourself a favor. Go to your school library. Research what you suggested...fully. Then point out the logic in any of it. In case you've already forgotten some of your own ideas, here they are.

1. Increase the sales tax on lightbulbs.
    2. Increase the taxes the wealthy pay.
    3. Increase Trade Tarrifs.
    4. Increase the taxes on non-green utilities.

Now I'm going to ask you to let go of Obama's nipples (which you've been happily sucking on) and apply a little, just a tiny bit, of logic here. Do so and you will see that EVERY ONE of those idea's will directly affect and cost the middle-class/working-poor/poor even more than what they are paying now.

How is this beneficial?

10+ Year Old Account

Now I'm going to ask you to let go of Obama's nipples (which you've been happily sucking on) and apply a little, just a tiny bit, of logic here. Do so and you will see that EVERY ONE of those idea's will directly affect and cost the middle-class/working-poor/poor even more than what they are paying now.
    So where exactly is the proof that trickle down economics work? Because last I checked, decreasing the tax burden on the rich helped so, so much.

Its my fault this forum programming blows now?
    You made a statement, and I responded. You said that my response was erroneous based on a factor that you changed after my post was written. So yes, it would be your fault, if you feel blame should be attributed in this situation.

Do yourself a favor. Go to your school library. Research what you suggested...fully. Then point out the logic in any of it. In case you've already forgotten some of your own ideas, here they are.

1. Increase the sales tax on lightbulbs.
    2. Increase the taxes the wealthy pay.
    3. Increase Trade Tarrifs.
    4. Increase the taxes on non-green utilities.

How is this beneficial?
    Non-LED lightbulbs*

Yes, an increase in electricity utilities will cost them some. Though, lightbulb tax will offset that some as well.
    Trade Tariffs should help to offset that some.

Taxing the rich will only help though.

The idea that you can never raise taxes for the good, is also just one of those myths I was talking about.
    You should probably stop watching Faux News before your brain turns to gravy.

Also, I agree with my best friend Kasie.
    Trickle down economics is a joke at best, and an outright scam at worst. (Hint: Its the 2nd choice)
    Last edited by morbidone; 2012-11-04 at 05:33 AM.

OP, you have to consider the tradeoffs.

1. Any lighting that isn't an LED Lightbulb?

Might help the environment, but it also might cause people to spend more on lightbulbs, which in turn causes them to have less money to spend on other things lowering aggregate demand by some small amount and reducing the size of the economy. Why not let people buy what they want?

2. Or how about trade tariffs?

We have tariffs. What they do is drive up prices, hurting the consumer. A good example is our sugar tariff which causes all of us to have to buy the more expensive to grow Corn Syrup. We'd be far better off if we were growing more efficient yield/acre food than corn in this country but we insist on creating incentives to grow corn like crazy . Tariffs are one way we do this and it makes us poorer, especially those of us who live paycheck to paycheck and have to think about grocery bills each week.

3. Illegal Drugs? First make them legal, then tax the shit out of them!

Go ahead make them legal. Tax them to a point where people will still buy them instead of growing on their own. If you tax it too high, the opportunity cost will make people get creative to avoid the taxes. But I agree making them legal and taxing them at a reasonable rate is good (especially since it kills a black market and hurts gangs and puts drug lords out of business.)

4. Rich people, especially capital gains?

The rich invest in capital because it's the most profitable venue. If you tax capital gains to a point where it's no longer the most profitable place to invest your money, they'll invest it somewhere else. However, you don't want to drive everyone out of this market. The financial markets that generate capital gains have a value in this economy. The tax rate could be higher, but what you're really doing is creating a disincentive to sell property, precious metals, stocks and bonds. You obviously don't want to remove the incentive to sell real estate so you need the capital gains tax to be low enough that that won't happen. Stocks are an important way for small businesses to generate revenue for expansion. You could probably tax this a bit higher, but with the stock market already being high risk, you don't want to create too big a disincentive or it will hurt companies that would otherwise have grown by electing to "go public." Bonds in this day and age come primarily from the government. They are a way for the government to pay it's bills when there's a deficit. If you make the rich not want to invest in bonds by taxing it too highly (as they are already not a high reward investment as is), they you cut off a revenue stream for the government. You'd better hope the tax revenue brought in more than makes up for it, otherwise the government will have no choice but to shut things down as it won't have a way to cover the costs of it's deficits.

5. Corporation?

Corporate taxes get passed on to the consumer. They are factored in as part of the price. You raise corporate taxes, corporations raise prices to a level that's still profitable. You're really just taxing the consumer again. The consumer is usually the poor or middle class man, unless you're specifically taxing things like yachts and caviar.

6. Non green sources of energy?

Green energy is more expensive right now. It's something "rich" people can afford much easier than poor people. Taxing non-green means again, taxing the poor consumers who don't have the luxury of paying more for that hybrid or electric car.

If you really want to help the poor, what you need is for prices to the be lower. This also "hurts" the rich a lot of the time because the rich are more often than not, business people who are the ones making a profit as a percentage of the price. When you drive prices down, you drive down profit margins and lower the income gap. You also drive down the price of government services lowering the "need" for tax revenue.
    Last edited by Abysal; 2012-11-04 at 05:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    Actually, when you tell a religous organization, hospital, business, etc. that they MUST provide something, then by definition you have already broken the bargain.. and when it bites you in the ass I dont want to hear about it. if you dont want the church in the state's business then stay the hell out of their's... just sayin'
    The bargain has already been broken once the church got in to politics. If the religious organization keeps its hands out of politics and can prove it is non-profit, then sure ... no tax. But as it sits right now, there isn't a single religion that can do that in the US. So I say tax them like any other establishment.

Incandescent bulbs are going to be illegal in China soon (if not already). Eventually we just need to tax them to high heavens.

10+ Year Old Account

Then please, tell us, where DO jobs come from?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

put a tax on tax

Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    Then please, tell us, where DO jobs come from?
    Businesses. Not rich individuals. There is a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Incandescent bulbs are going to be illegal in China soon (if not already). Eventually we just need to tax them to high heavens.
    Damn straight. Something like 80% of the energy they consume is used to make heat and not light!
    If everyone in the US switched to LED lightbulbs then the consumption of energy would decrease dramatically!

Its not really even about the environment, its about common damn sense!

That is why China is doing it!