Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by staart View Post
    Eating meat from animals who get a lot of antibiotics has no direct negative effect for the consumer. It only affects the rate of the resistance building to bacteria. Over-usage of antibiotics affects everyone equally, except maybe farmers who are more directly exposed to said bacteria (even without eating the meat).
    I concur as a general rule. I'll note that there's a big difference in antibiotic usage patterns between farms though; while nearly all bigtime factory farms use them in the harmful fashion you describe, this isn't necessarily the case at a local level. I've got some family friends that run a small farm with all pasture ranged cows that use antibiotics, but only use them in cases where the veterinarian actually prescribes them for a specific condition. To me, this is the best of both worlds, where the cows are being treated damned near as well as people, including medical treatment, right up until I get to eat their delicious, delicious muscles.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I concur as a general rule. I'll note that there's a big difference in antibiotic usage patterns between farms though; while nearly all bigtime factory farms use them in the harmful fashion you describe, this isn't necessarily the case at a local level. I've got some family friends that run a small farm with all pasture ranged cows that use antibiotics, but only use them in cases where the veterinarian actually prescribes them for a specific condition. To me, this is the best of both worlds, where the cows are being treated damned near as well as people, including medical treatment, right up until I get to eat their delicious, delicious muscles.
    True, there should be a certain balance in the usage of antibiotics. But that comes down to a political/ethical discussion and strains from the facts

I wasn't aware that there was any fruit that didn't contain carbon.

Have any of you ever traveled to Europe and stopped by one of their little produce shops on the side of the road? Huge, locally grown fruits. From what I am aware, pesticide-free. And ohmahgawd delicious. And they are just there...on the side of the street. Like you could be walking towards a park, decide you are hungry, drop a couple Euro, and have the most delicious peach of your life. And all of it comes from a 20-mile radius.

Hence why I try to go for local more often. It just taste better.

A side note, I have a friend who stated that in America, we will put anything in our bodies (food) so long as it isn't proven to be dangerous.
    In other countries, they will not put anything in their body unless it is proven to be safe.

^Do you think this is true?

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    I wasn't aware that there was any fruit that didn't contain carbon.
    We've lost this one.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/nop

I agree that the term is fucking stupid, but it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kineada View Post
    I challenge anyone to show me food that ISN'T "organic".
    You created a new account just for this? o_O

And yeah, there are two different terms for "organic". The traditional scientific and the newer commercial version.

The Traditional scientific term "Organic" simply means it contains carbon.

The commercial term "Organic" means simply means "Grown without the use of chemical pesticides." and other various factors...

We've lost this one.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/nop

I agree that the term is fucking stupid, but it is what it is.
    I can understand the synthetic fertilizer/pesticide thing and the sewage thing, but I don't get the irradiation and genetic engineering thing. Irradiated food isn't radioactive or anything and genetic engineering has been shown to be a safe and effective method of creating better crops that require less pesticides and are just better in general.

I can understand the synthetic fertilizer/pesticide thing and the sewage thing, but I don't get the irradiation and genetic engineering thing. Irradiated food isn't radioactive or anything and genetic engineering has been shown to be a safe and effective method of creating better crops that require less pesticides and are just better in general.
    I'm with you one hundred percent, and would be with you even more if that was possible. This shit is incredibly grating for me. Just saying, we've lost the fight when it comes to the terminology of "organic", so let's move on. Arguing for GMOs and irradiation I'm entirely on board with.

I'm with you one hundred percent, and would be with you even more if that was possible. This shit is incredibly grating for me. Just saying, we've lost the fight when it comes to the terminology of "organic", so let's move on. Arguing for GMOs and irradiation I'm entirely on board with.
    Fuck no, let's form a group dedicated to retaking the meaning of the word 'organic'! Yeah!

Fuck no, let's form a group dedicated to retaking the meaning of the word 'organic'! Yeah!
    You form a "Organic Means it has Carbon, You Fucking Morons" group, and I'll join!

You form a "Organic Means it has Carbon, You Fucking Morons" group, and I'll join!
    And we'll make sure all the car bombs are organic!

Didn't read thread.

As a general rule, buy locally grown seasonal fruits and vegetables. I can't give a fuck about an "Organic" label.

That is all.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Deleted
    People are confusing terms in this thread so badly it's making all of this a big mess. For example I've no idea what the talk of genetic modification does in here when it wasn't in question.

---------- Post added 2012-11-06 at 11:05 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    As a general rule, buy locally grown seasonal fruits and vegetables. I can't give a fuck about an "Organic" label.
    Also this is where it's at, organic or not, genetically modified or as evolution made it, buy local and in season.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    You created a new account just for this? o_O

And yeah, there are two different terms for "organic". The traditional scientific and the newer commercial version.

The Traditional scientific term "Organic" simply means it contains carbon.

The commercial term "Organic" means simply means "Grown without the use of chemical pesticides." and other various factors...
    Oh. Is this another one of those places where I'm not entitled to an opinion and a voice because I've never taken the time to post anything before? My bad.

I understand that there are multiple definitions for the word "organic". However, it's a huge pet peeve of mine that the word has been hijacked to mean...well, whatever it is the "new" definition means. What's wrong with just saying "pesticide-free"? My final straw came when I saw a billboard for "organic water".

Our country is already full of idiots who don't understand basic science, much less English. I'm tired of everything being made more simplistic to cater to these people.

And yes, I do yell at kids to get off my lawn if you're thinking that...

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a bit sensitive when it comes to fruits and vegetables and I have found that unless we grow them at home, I'll have some degree of a mild allergic reaction, usually resulting in areas of my mouth becoming inflamed and irritated. Even overpriced produce from Whole Foods labeled as "organic" does it to me no matter how much I wash them. We have a nice garden in our small yard at home with plants from tomatoes and asparagus to jalapenos and potatoes. My body never reacts when I eat what we grow, so I try and stay away from store sold stuff. In any case though, growing your own food or buying locally is the better choice. It's cheaper, fresher, helps local growers pay the bills and everything just tastes better. You also always know where the food came from and how it's been handled which is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Kineada View Post
    Oh. Is this another one of those places where I'm not entitled to an opinion and a voice because I've never taken the time to post anything before? My bad.

I understand that there are multiple definitions for the word "organic". However, it's a huge pet peeve of mine that the word has been hijacked to mean...well, whatever it is the "new" definition means. What's wrong with just saying "pesticide-free"? My final straw came when I saw a billboard for "organic water".

Our country is already full of idiots who don't understand basic science, much less English. I'm tired of everything being made more simplistic to cater to these people.

And yes, I do yell at kids to get off my lawn if you're thinking that...
    ...you read WAAAAY to much in what people say. :P

I was just shocked that this topic, of all of the ones out there, is the one you chose to create a new account for...that's all. :P I wasn't saying your opinion was wrong at all or you weren't somehow entitled to one. Where did you get that idea from?

But, to the point, English has undergone massive changes over the centuries. Ever tried to read Shakespear? Hell, even I have to take that slowly to figure out everything. The original English language is WAAAAY different from the days of when it started to today. >_<

Words get re-defined, added, and adjusted all the time. It's part of linguistic evolution... hell, it's part of history in general and has been a part of the English language for eons. I'd rather be more upset if words like the F-Word become common label terms than the culture defining a second definition for the term "Organic". :P

...but yeah, I'm not saying you have to like it. So, don't worry - I get why you're saying that and understand. :P I used to think like that, but then I took a look at history and noticed this is the natural order of things, and that things balance out.

The reality is your billboard for "Organic Water" was jut a billboard. One out of a billion billboards in one tiny part of the world. It's hardly the sign of the apocralypse or anything like that.