Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcanimus View Post
    I was given this advice by a Blizzard GM:
    If you have to ask if its against the rules, it probably is.

Its served me well, and it should do the same for you.
    100% horrible advice.

It's one of those answers that you get when the guy answering it doesn't know the answer.

In short he basically said "probably"

So, gifting gold in WoW is illegal - and against the rules as well. I mean if you just give all your gold away... will that get you banned - because that's what you are asking here. Blizzard has no way to tell what you did in GW2. For all intents and purposes you are doing nothing more here than giving all your wow gold to a friend. And, your friend is giving you all of their gold in GW2 that's it - the trading part is in your head and doesn't need to be anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Kharli View Post
    uh *shrugh* i guess it COULD get you banned but..i mean your not paying real money to do it, yeh?
    Why draw the line at 'real money?' Gold in both games is based on time, and effort and is earned just as real money is. If someone wants to spend real money on gold, so be it.

Generally, if you do not speak of it ingame, and you aren't dealing with people who are getting gold from hacked accounts... they will not know you traded for gold. Fairly simple!

Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    So, gifting gold in WoW is illegal - and against the rules as well.
    No... gifting gold and such is not illegal. It is just a breach of the EULA, which is a breach of contract. You will not be charged with a crime, however you may (but certainly wont be) be sued for it to repay damages. But seriously, no gaming company is going to sue you over buying and trading gold... they will just cancel your license which is what they do in 99.9% of EULA violations.
    Last edited by Takamuri; 2012-11-06 at 02:46 PM.
    Taka of Deus Vox

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mswhiskerson View Post
    That's why I suggested he should ask if there will be issues with gifting a large amount of gold first.
    "Hey mister cop, I will be taking a lot of money from my bank with a gun", you just don't do it, it's extremely obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    "Hey mister cop, I will be taking a lot of money from my bank with a gun", you just don't do it, it's extremely obvious.
    Except this isn't a bank, this isn't real money and he doesn't have a gun.

It's extremely obvious that is 2 different scenarios dealing with 2 different things.

He is giving his friend his WoW gold because he is quiting and never coming back. That isn't illegal

His friend is also doing the same thing in GW2. That isn't illegal

The likelihood of Blizzard and Anet communicating on this kind of matter is zilch. Whether it's against the ToS or not you won't get banned, at most either company will just see that you've given a large sum of money to a friend and stopped playing which is perfectly fine.

Ok guys I see lot of different opinions here and I just dont want to risk it. I dont need gold that badly but its just a waste to have all that gold sitting in wow and gw2 that nobody will use so we wanted to do this. I will ask both ANET and Blizzard and if any of them have an issue with it I simple wont do it.
    Thank you all again.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you would consider it 2 seperate transactions "I quit in this game, have my money" and "You don't play that game anymore, and you just give me your money because you feel like it", I can't see anything wrong with it.

Just don't try to see it as one big transaction, and it should be legal.
    Ex-GM and Raidleader of the MoX Purple Kittens Raidteam on Twisting Nether (formerly Grim Batol), RIP, Winter 2010 - Spring 2013.
    Armory. WoWProgress. Might start streaming Soon(tm) http://twitch.tv/szem/

Deleted
    Guild Wars 2 =/= World of Warcraft.

Just because you decide to give away your gold to your friend in World of Warcraft, and your friend will give you gold in Guild Wars 2, it has nothing to do with each other, there is no trade, really. You're giving your stuff away, and your friend is giving his stuff away.

Quote Originally Posted by mswhiskerson View Post
    Ticket Blizzard and ask:

"I am quitting WoW. If I gift a large amount of gold to a single friend will they/I encounter any issues?"

Get your friend to contact Anet with the same question.
    Do this, it wont hurt to ask and if they see you asking that they will probably flag you as not a gold seller as logn as you dont try to do it again in the near future..

---------- Post added 2012-11-06 at 12:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Takamuri View Post
    Why draw the line at 'real money?' Gold in both games is based on time, and effort and is earned just as real money is. If someone wants to spend real money on gold, so be it.

Generally, if you do not speak of it ingame, and you aren't dealing with people who are getting gold from hacked accounts... they will not know you traded for gold. Fairly simple!

No... gifting gold and such is not illegal. It is just a breach of the EULA, which is a breach of contract. You will not be charged with a crime, however you may (but certainly wont be) be sued for it to repay damages. But seriously, no gaming company is going to sue you over buying and trading gold... they will just cancel your license which is what they do in 99.9% of EULA violations.
    Where in the EULA says that you cant gift gold?

I have been giving gold to people since i started playing and i have never been said anything by Blizzard.

Gifting gold is not against the EULA as far as i know. Sometimes it gets you banned because they suspect that you are selling gold, but not because giving gold is forbidden.

trading is trading.. it's not like you're making a sale of it. If you were giving him your gold for real money then that'd be an issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Except this isn't a bank, this isn't real money and he doesn't have a gun.

It's extremely obvious that is 2 different scenarios dealing with 2 different things.

He is giving his friend his WoW gold because he is quiting and never coming back. That isn't illegal

His friend is also doing the same thing in GW2. That isn't illegal
    It's extremely suspiscious, same happened with a lot of friends that used to buy ingame time for other games with wow currency, it was blatantly obvious that huge cash sinks were being done without any "trading whatsoever".

You wont have any problems doing it unless you're stupid enough to announce it on realid or something and you have an asshole of a friend that reports you for it.

The only time you're gonna get in trouble for moving/giving away gold. Is when the gold is illegitimately obtained. EG you recieved it from some shady guy in ratchet or you conviniently bought one thousand rare gems for 100gold on auction.

for your friend, the shady guy in ratchet might sound like the scenario. But the difference is you haven't (i hope) stolen your gold from hacked accounts, pooled them togheter and then traded it to the guy.

Hacked accounts have a tendency of being either reported stolen, reported for advertising goldsellers or similar. And then investigated. The investigation will follow the gold trail so to say. To your friend. If this was the case.

but its not. So go for it and have fun. Even if you wanted to throw in a hundred bucks to compensate for the amount. Neither company would have any means of finding out. Its just a trade between friends.

If you are really that worried, and don't mind losing a bit of gold seeing as though it was going to waste anyway, Tell your friend to put a meaningless grey Item up on the AH for close to the amount of gold you want to give him.

You then Buy this meaningless piece of junk, and he recieves a large payment of gold for said junk.

Blizzard does not check Auctions since there is so many Auctions per a day that go up and get bought that it wouldn't even Blip on their radar.

So it just come down too, are you that worried enough to give the AH a 10% cut.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

It's extremely suspiscious, same happened with a lot of friends that used to buy ingame time for other games with wow currency, it was blatantly obvious that huge cash sinks were being done without any "trading whatsoever".
    That's a completely different situation. That's using In game gold to get the equivalent of RL money. That's not happening here at all. He just wants to give his friend all his gold. His friend wants to give him all his gold from GW2. There's nothing wrong with that at all.

As long as you aren't profiting in real life from it, I don't see why you'd get banned. When I quit WoW the first time, I gave like 40k gold away to my sister. My account never got banned, as I went back to it about 8 months later. If you are giving gold away as a gift, it's not against the EULA.

Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    If you are really that worried, and don't mind losing a bit of gold seeing as though it was going to waste anyway, Tell your friend to put a meaningless grey Item up on the AH for close to the amount of gold you want to give him.

You then Buy this meaningless piece of junk, and he recieves a large payment of gold for said junk.

Blizzard does not check Auctions since there is so many Auctions per a day that go up and get bought that it wouldn't even Blip on their radar.

So it just come down too, are you that worried enough to give the AH a 10% cut.
    Whatever you do, don't do this. This is the type of move that would be most likely flagged as someone trying to move gold through illegitimate channels. Also it is completely traceable, you'd be better off just opening a trade window and telling him in chat, thanks for all the fun times in wow, see you in RL, that way if he does get suspended on suspicion of gold trading they can look at the chat record and see that you're quitting and giving your stuff to your friends. Also while your at it, if your truly never coming back, cage up your unique battle pets you may have and give them to him too.
    Assuming you obtained all your gold through legitimate means you should have any issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    That's a completely different situation. That's using In game gold to get the equivalent of RL money. That's not happening here at all. He just wants to give his friend all his gold. His friend wants to give him all his gold from GW2. There's nothing wrong with that at all.
    Yeah, like blizzard knew it was for buying ingame time for another game, same goes for gw2 ingame currency.

Yeah, like blizzard knew it was for buying ingame time for another game, same goes for gw2 ingame currency.
    Yes, they could probably tell. That is beside the point though. Whether they could or could not is irrelevant. Giving gold for game time is against the EULA and TOS. Giving gold away is not. You're comparing apples and airplanes.

No way, unless someone finds out.