Thread: Justice Served!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Everybody is an idiot sometimes. Driving on the sidewalk to avoid a school bus is idiotic. The punishment she's getting is also fine. Sure, it's humiliating, but it will pass. It's better than fining her into poverty and preventing her from ever driving again.
    I agree that driving on a sidewalk is idiotic, but, what's the point in shoving that in her face and characterizing her as an idiot in general? I'd get if she got some sort of community service, but the sole purpose of what she got was to punish and humiliate her and if there's one thing about judiciary that i'm more against than the death penalty, it's a judicial system based on incarcerating people as punishment rather than as protection to the rest of society. What she got is exactly in the spirit of that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Still... I don't know.

That's a retarded punishment. Stand on a crossroad wearing a sign that says that you are an idiot? Sounds cool, but isn't that against human basic rights?
    Which right would that be? Besides the fact your standard set of rights are waved when convicted and are applied a new set of human rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    I agree that driving on a sidewalk is idiotic, but, what's the point in shoving that in her face and characterizing her as an idiot in general? I'd get if she got some sort of community service, but the sole purpose of what she got was to punish and humiliate her and if there's one thing about judiciary that i'm more against than the death penalty, it's a judicial system based on incarcerating people as punishment rather than as protection to the rest of society. What she got is exactly in the spirit of that.
    Wow, you are comparing incarcerating to this? Can't you find better argument against it? I will give you one in donation "cruel and unusual punishment". Use this to argue against this punishment since it is certainly unusual.

Deleted
    That I can understand. But this is just humiliating. We should not humiliate people just because they are dumb.
    I think its perfectly acceptable. She will never forget what she done, or why she was made to stand round with a sign stating she is an idiot.
    hopefully she will learn her lesson.

Why is it that people are so hyper sensitive and afraid of hurting feelings or offending someone in this generation? A major role of the penal system is to correct behavior. That necessarily means that punishments are not to be pleasant. This punishment directly relates to the girl's actions and forces her to consider what she has done. We are talking about *two hours* of her life. That's a very small price for her to pay, but it will go a long ways towards correcting her unacceptable behavior. There is no problem here. You don't want to be humiliated, don't act in a way that warrants humiliation.

Sometimes humiliation is a better deterrent than an actual punishment like jail time or a fine.

That I can understand. But this is just humiliating. We should not humiliate people just because they are dumb.
    See, I have a simple arguement against this statement. That being: She is not DUMB.

See, there are people who are genuinely dumb. You know. They are a bit slow on the uptake, have trouble grasping simple concepts (like Push Door to Open), and are generally given some leeway by society for actually being below average Intelligence.

This womans actions were not in the realm of dumb, but definately in the realm of stupid and idiotic. She has her licence. She knows how to drive. And if she has even a pair of brain cells to rub together, she knows it is illegal pretty much everywhere to pass a schoolbus that is stopped and unloading or loading children. She made a willfull and concious decision to not only pass the schoolbus, but do so by driving across a fucking sidewalk to do so. Not just once, but MULTIPLE times. Hell, she even pulls around an SUV ahead of her that DID stop the second time around in the video when she gets busted. That was not dumb. That was just plain stupid. Quite frankly, she got off easy.
    Last edited by Surfd; 2012-11-07 at 12:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    Wow, you are comparing incarcerating to this? Can't you find better argument against it? I will give you one in donation "cruel and unusual punishment". Use this to argue against this punishment since it is certainly unusual.
    I was simply using incarceration to clarify in what spirit this woman was tried. She got a sentence whose purpose was to punish her, not correct her or prevent her from damaging the public further.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have no issue with the punishment.

The driver didn't hesitate to turn onto the side walk and clearly has no respect for the road rules.
    The problem I have is people like this, even with a suspended licence will continue driving.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder what she would have done if someone was just standing on the sidewalk where she needs to drive. Would she have peeped him to move out of the way, or not seen him and drove right into him or perhaps actually waited like a normal person.

The punishment is quite creative, but it wasn't a one off incident, it happened often enough for them to get a police car waiting for her to do it again, so this punishment fits.

Quote Originally Posted by dusselldorf View Post
    Why is it that people are so hyper sensitive and afraid of hurting feelings or offending someone in this generation? A major role of the penal system is to correct behavior. That necessarily means that punishments are not to be pleasant. This punishment directly relates to the girl's actions and forces her to consider what she has done. We are talking about *two hours* of her life. That's a very small price for her to pay, but it will go a long ways towards correcting her unacceptable behavior. There is no problem here. You don't want to be humiliated, don't act in a way that warrants humiliation.
    Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    Sometimes humiliation is a better deterrent than an actual punishment like jail time or a fine.
    Agreed...and doubly so!

I will burn your soul.

Meeeh. I hardly see it as such a bad thing what she did. In Europe we overtake all kind of busses all the time. Except we don't do it that retardely.
    we have very specific laws regarding behavior around school buses. other buses are fair game, behave as you usually would. but fuck with school bus laws at your peril, and with good reason imo

10+ Year Old Account
    This is amazing. If anything ever made me want to be a part of the justice system, this article is it. Being able to hand out sentences like that just might make life worth living. I want to buy that judge a beer.

Also, hearing that guy on the bus giggle through the sentence "well, justice has been served!" was certainly lol-worthy.