Thread: LFR and Garalon

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmzac View Post
    Anyone else "having fun" with this boss in LFR? It seems well above the normal lfr difficulty with the required co-ordination and these early groups are usually better than usual.
    ye its super fun to que for the dread approach for hours and only get 2/3 defeated cos ppl cant do simple things right and finish their freaking lfr

Did this on normal in my 10 man guild group and we got it down the very first evening. Not a too hard fight.
    The problem with LFR is that it consists of lots of bad players and people who refuse to acknowledge mechanics and actually learn something. Oh if I had a dollar every time someone says "lol its lfr just zerg" I'd be so immensely rich right now!

I guess he'll be nerfed soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lochglen View Post
    I am wondering if Blizzard are going to give the Alliance the 5 mounts because the worgen have running wild, the horde have 5 new mounts , i just think they should balance it out, how say you all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    hows about you give half your money to africa because you have more than them, and it's not balanced
    no? didn't think so

I couldnt do LFR on tuesday night, was busy, so I queued up last night, and the only raid it would put me in was 2/6 bosses down so i said w/e and accepted.

6-7 wipes later (every single one above 90%) I left, for the next 2.5 hrs the only queue I could get... was 2/6 bosses down. I dont know if they were all the same group, but I see this being a huge issue come later in the week when 75% of the lfr queue is people @ Garalon :|

So I finally got to try this one out on LFR. Wasn't close to as hard as people made it out to be, as long as I took the first pheromone and showed to everybody how it's done. Then I only needed some random guy who manned up and helped me pass the pheromone and we 1 shot him.

Luckily I queued with 4 of my guild mates, none of us knew the fight because we only downed the first boss in there on normal last week. We just read the dungeon journal after a few wipes, explained the fight to everyone and then just did the pheremones/kiting ourselves and told everyone else to focus on not going under the boss. Got it down a few attempts later, but I can see where the average group would have no idea what to do.

---------- Post added 2012-11-08 at 12:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by vamonos View Post
    ye its super fun to que for the dread approach for hours and only get 2/3 defeated cos ppl cant do simple things right and finish their freaking lfr
    It is a vicious cycle, people can't do the last boss so they leave after a wipe, then people come in and get only a last boss run, if they down it they then requeue and leave after the second boss leaving no one to do the last boss. :-p

I got to admit, Garalon and Will of the Emperor is the best LFR has ever offered me yet. My group wiped a few times on Garalon until someone actually stopped and went through the tacts, then someone took care of the kiting and the rest coordinated together to get the legs down (and we kicked that noob tank who tanked him beneath the purple circle). And Will of the Emperor... those combos actually hurt a bit, I love trying to dodge them.. although it's actually quite an easy fight though. Makes me miss the times back when I had a schedule that actually permitted me to raid normally.. I would go back to normal raiding in a heartbeat if I only had the time for it. :')

Me and a guildie spent most of the day yesterday queing into LFRs that were 2/6 just so we could down Garalon. Neither of us have a consistent schedule to raid so we spent what time we had enjoying the hell out of it. I think we managed to kill him 7 times. The best one was about 3 wipes and the worst was 8. But if people are willing to learn then we are willing to teach and kite. The reason we even did this is because we did it in LFR before the nerf right after release and wiped like 11 times before leaving lol. We have been determined to teach others since that dreadful 3 hours.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally killed it after 1 wipe, which makes me the happy owner of a bag of gold.... Seriously I want that tanking ring, but 1 step at a time..
    Last edited by Temp name; 2012-11-08 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anyankha View Post
    I want a fresh run. All that keeps popping is 2/6 - Le sigh
    Same and I've already had my fair share of wipes on that boss this week yet every time I queue it's always 2/6 and I just know it's going to be more of the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskra View Post
    So I finally got to try this one out on LFR. Wasn't close to as hard as people made it out to be, as long as I took the first pheromone and showed to everybody how it's done. Then I only needed some random guy who manned up and helped me pass the pheromone and we 1 shot him.
    Anecdotal evidence is awesome, let me try.

So I finally got to try this one out on LFR and it was worse than people made it out to be. I tried to be the pheromone kiter because I know the fight, but some random dps ran into me chasing the legs(how was he anywhere near me when the legs are his target destination is anyone's guess). From that point on the boss never stopped spinning in circles as random uninformed and unaware character after random uninformed and unaware character passed pheromones unknowingly to each other. The raid survived quite some time even in this condition of constant crushes, but dps was abysmal and we died at a high %. Rinse and repeat a few times(yes I tried my best to explain in raid chat, some people are just 'that guy').

Once you complete a 2/6 run, you will get a fresh run next. I don't understand why you guys are just requeuing for hours and hours, wasting time.

This boss requires three things:
    Two tanks that can stand in front of the boss
    Two or Three ranged that can pheromone kite
    A raid that doesn't stand under the boss too much

It's more than the average LFR group can handle, but you really only need 2-3 competent people to kite. If you're a healer or ranged DPS, queue in with a friend and let them know you will be handling the pheromones. It's really easy to coordinate in vent with a friend.

His HP was also massively nerfed, so you don't even have to hold it together very long, especially if you have a few non-retarded melee to cleave it up.

If someone is consistently activating crush, vote kick.

Sure it's harder than LFR needs to be, but it's not impossible for a group random bads to kill. They'll probably nerf it even more soon.

Quote Originally Posted by redd View Post
    Anecdotal evidence is awesome, let me try.

So I finally got to try this one out on LFR and it was worse than people made it out to be. I tried to be the pheromone kiter because I know the fight, but some random dps ran into me chasing the legs(how was he anywhere near me when the legs are his target destination is anyone's guess). From that point on the boss never stopped spinning in circles as random uninformed and unaware character after random uninformed and unaware character passed pheromones unknowingly to each other. The raid survived quite some time even in this condition of constant crushes, but dps was abysmal and we died at a high %. Rinse and repeat a few times(yes I tried my best to explain in raid chat, some people are just 'that guy').
    Well, it acctually happened to me too. I just made sure I was fast to take back the pheromone from the guy who ran close to me before things became too chaotic.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    This is exactly the same mindset that led to the horrible fiasco of Cataclysm 5 mans. And it will be a horrible fiasco in LFR, too.
    Cata 5 mans were not a fiasco until everyone started crying about them. They were tuned pretty much spot on correctly, it's just 90% or so of the WoW population are completely incapable of using their brains now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Needonboots View Post
    Cata 5 mans were not a fiasco until everyone started crying about them.
    I'm pretty sure your theory there makes no sense whatsoever. They were a fiasco because too many people couldn't run them successfully, not because of some greek chorus of woe on the forums.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Needonboots View Post
    Cata 5 mans were not a fiasco until everyone started crying about them. They were tuned pretty much spot on correctly, it's just 90% or so of the WoW population are completely incapable of using their brains now and then.
    I have fond memories of Forgemaster Throngus and I liked cata heroics but organising and explaining them was easy compared to organising 25 people who seem a lot less knowledgable then the people in those heroics were.

This fight is very bad for LFR for several reasons:

1. The fight itself is to hard compared to other bosses in LFR and leads to several wipes in almost every group.
    2. People leave so you dont get a consistent group that understands the encounter.
    3. Because the encounter cant be completed all the other people in LFR suffer also because they get popups: 2/6 available. Want to enter?

I didnt complete. Im a casual player who prefers tanking. For a tank I find it a very confusing encounter. I had two tanks joining who did it on normal and both explained it was the tanks job to have the pheromones. But here I read that ranged or healers take it. It leaves me puzzled on what Im supposed to do as tank then in this encounter.

In dragonsoul encounter you had tips coming up if you did something wrong. This encounter could use some tips and bit forgiveness if players make a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayden View Post
    I didnt complete. Im a casual player who prefers tanking. For a tank I find it a very confusing encounter. I had two tanks joining who did it on normal and both explained it was the tanks job to have the pheromones. But here I read that ranged or healers take it. It leaves me puzzled on what Im supposed to do as tank then in this encounter.
    The tanks can either do the pheromone kiting while soaking the frontal attack. Or let ranged/healers do the kiting and just sit in front of him to soak the frontal attack.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SamR View Post
    The tanks can either do the pheromone kiting while soaking the frontal attack. Or let ranged/healers do the kiting and just sit in front of him to soak the frontal attack.
    Honestly, tanks should be doing it, especially in LFR where you only need 2 people doing it. But, telling a random player like Mayden to do it is just a fail waiting to happen. If you don't know what to do, just stay away from feromones.

Btw Mayden, the encounter has tips, it tells you that "Garalon senses <player> beneath him" and then jumps, obvious tip. Same for tanking, it gives a big "<cleave> didn't hit 2 players, Garalon gains <bad buff x>". I believe it also says something about the feromone when the pull is done, but I can't remember what it is. Pretty sure your hand gets held everywhere along the way, not to mention just opening the boss abilities in-game...

Quote Originally Posted by jtmzac View Post
    Anyone else "having fun" with this boss in LFR? It seems well above the normal lfr difficulty with the required co-ordination and these early groups are usually better than usual.
    What coordination ? Don't stand in the purple circle is about all there is to it... Oh 2 people to alternate the pheromone buff and drop the pools round the edge of the room.

Garalon takes just a little bit of coordination. Ended up doing all 3 fairly quickly on Tuesday with a small guild group + 19-20 pugs. We simplified it to the point of:

(a) Don't stand in the purple circle
    (b) Kill Legs
    (c) Legs dead -> kill boss
    (d) OT stand on MT

Holy Paladin and I (Boomkin) handled the kiting, swapping off every 20 or so stacks, moving along the outside of the room.

As soon as we got almost everybody on board (we had 1 rogue that continued to go under the purple circle), we downed it. 3 attempts, 1 kill.

As a DPS, queue with a buddy and do the kiting. As a healer, queue with a buddy and do the kiting (you'll be in range to tank heal the whole time). As a tank, queue with 2 people to do the kiting. Make it simple as possible for everybody else and it gets done.