Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Melee have the advantage of being cooler.

So the reason to bring melee is to have superior interrupts and cleave? God I love my WW Monk already.

Quote Originally Posted by Minaa View Post
    like i said give me 1 reason to take melee with u in raid why any one will take melee with him to raid any raid i join the leader say u melee ok do u have tank or healer OS good play tank and let me get someone range dps
    Garalon heroic.

I'll give you 4 reasons to bring melee.

1 - Cleave damage. No ranged is as good as a warrior or a rogue for cleaving damage on 2-3 targets. Ranged must resort to rotations that are inefficient AoE rotations when there are fewer than 4-targets clumped together.

2 - Variety of raid buffs. There are plenty raid buffs that can only be brought by melee, particularly physical damage buffs and debuffs like armor reduction and physical vulnerability.

3 - Mobility. Ranged classes (particularly casters) tend to lose damage if they are required to move constantly (see Garalon or Spirit Kings) whereas melee can simply stick to the boss, and because they use almost exclusively instant cast abilities, do not suffer signifcant rotation losses.

4 - Off healing. Enhance shamans can get Ancestral Guidance which provides a massive group healing burst, particularly if lined up with offensive cd's. Ret pallies can glyph so that word of glory or eternal flame healing gives them a small dps buff, or talent for sacred shield/selfless healer for some very strong damage mitigation or burst healing.

Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    Would love to see how you do second boss without Ranged
    I dont see the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelle View Post
    Melee have we us with because raid officer am I yes, waste of gear will be avoid also be.

Infracted~
    Awww, you infracted him. You have to give him credit for clever "Yoda" sarcasm. I did get a bit of a chuckle out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitsu View Post
    ofcourse you need ranges, but our ranges didn't anywhere near the dmg that our warrior and our monk did
    you must have some really terrible mages/eles/locks

Quote Originally Posted by Kurzior View Post

1 - Cleave damage. No ranged is as good as a warrior or a rogue for cleaving damage on 2-3 targets. Ranged must resort to rotations that are inefficient AoE rotations when there are fewer than 4-targets clumped together.

2 - Variety of raid buffs. There are plenty raid buffs that can only be brought by melee, particularly physical damage buffs and debuffs like armor reduction and physical vulnerability.

3 - Mobility. Ranged classes (particularly casters) tend to lose damage if they are required to move constantly (see Garalon or Spirit Kings) whereas melee can simply stick to the boss, and because they use almost exclusively instant cast abilities, do not suffer signifcant rotation losses.
    Quated for truth (number 4 is a bit meh reason)

I can add a few more things even

4) Interrupt duty, melee dps are the best specs/classes to interrupt spellcast
    5) Having a group of dps that can always dps the boss while range deals with adds or has to move out of the fire makes to fight shorter

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckadoodle View Post
    I bring melee because that is who is in my guild and they are good. simple as that, we arent pushing server or world firsts so who the fuck cares.
    You are barely pushing any progression though and a good reason could be because you are using mele. HOF isnt nearly as punishing as MSV but while we progressed through MSV and while we continue to progress through heroics we find it easier and easier to take a ranged over a mele.

Google Chrome was unable to recognize the language of the OP and translate it for me, so I have no idea what this thread is about.

Infracted~
    Last edited by mmoc2e3dee3473; 2012-11-07 at 09:53 PM.

Deleted
    Alright, can we drop the off-topic debate on the behaviour of some people in the thread? If you find a post to be inappropriate, report it and move on. If it has already been dealt with, move on. Insulting and flaming is no more accepted towards infracted users than anyone else.

Thanks!

(Also; remember that if you have a problem with any moderator action you can contact a S-mod or Administrator to review it)

Quote Originally Posted by Kurzior View Post

Fire mages are *far* superior to all other specs in 3 target cleaving and competitive in 2 targets. Of course there are no 3 target fights at the moment besides lolling at LFR Stone Guards but there you have 3 target "patchwerk" fight and the ranking looks like this:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/rankings/...Guard/25L/dps/

But that's a problem: melee brings mainly general buffs (crit etc) that ranged specs also provide or pure melee buffs which tends to benefit groups stacking either casters or melee. If Blizzard wanted to promote raid group diversity, it would be a simple issue of mixing the buffs but they've gone with "melee brings melee buffs, casters bring caster buffs" forever. With debuffs it does make sense since melee and ranged tend to get assigned to different jobs often and it was already damn annoying to set up raids to take into account things like a DK bringing in a spell damage debuff that mostly benefits the ranged...

They've given most casters so many mobility tools that they lose only minimal DPS if they're skilled enough to plan their movement ahead and do it with the movement-castable spells. There aren't many fights where the movement isn't extremely predictable.

4 - Off healing. Enhance shamans can get Ancestral Guidance which provides a massive group healing burst, particularly if lined up with offensive cd's.
    Ele shamans do the same so I fail to see why this is a melee advantage. All hybrids can now provide significant offhealing in various forms (whether cooldowns or trickle) and there are just as many ranged hybrid specs as melees.
    Last edited by jaakkeli; 2012-11-07 at 10:00 PM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrairieChicken View Post
    Um blade flurry?
    Cleave fights tick me off because they make combat spec mandatory, which is boring because SS hits like a wet noodle and the vast majority of its dps is from passive damage.

heroic spirit kings