Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

are challenge modes a fail?

how many people run them, I don't find the dungeons interesting enough myself to repeatedly run them on a timer.

currently my realm has only 3/9 dungeons done with a gold mode.

I have a feeling those challenge mode armor rewards for getting gold in every dungeon will basically either never be achieved by 99.99% of the wow population, if at all on some realms

if that's working as intended then that is fine, but I have a feeling they will be nerfed in the future possibly.

Deleted
    I think that Challenge Modes are like the Heroic Version of raids. That being true means that only a very small amount of players will complete them. This is not entirely bad. At least as long as someone can have a stable group of 5 people to try repeatedly.

Deleted
    They're meant for the more hardcore player. Get good or die tryin' .

Deleted
    Too early to tell if they're a failure or not.
    Personally I found them challenging and interesting. I just didn't have time to dedicate myself to them because there's just so much stuff to do/grind atm that I don't really have time to think about challenge modes as well.
    I guess many other people are in the same situation.

Maybe the rewards for Gold are probably not good enough to motivate some players ("Glory" isn't enough for someone I guess). Altough, truth be said, I can't really think of anything else they could have put in there in addition to the armor sets.

Only thing I can complain about challenge mode is that gear still matters. It does in a completely different way from the rest of the game content, but it still does matter a lot.
    I wish they could have opted for a complete normalization of gear, giving every player/spec a set of identical gear when you enter, so that every player of the same spec/class gets the identical same stats. At that point only your skill with your class and the coordination with your team would have really mattered to succeed, which is exactely the way I wanted Challenged Mode to be. Atm this all matters of course and it's crucial, but how you itemize in sight of normalization also has a very large impact. You can't overgear this content, but you still have a lot of difficult, complicated, often bizarre and inventory-consuming choices.

Many people probably find this interesting and so did Blizzard, but personally I would have liked this aspect to be completedly extrapolated from Challenge Modes, to leave just the Skill&Coordination ones.
    But yes, I admit it's just a matter of personal tastes, not "right" or "wrong".
    Last edited by mmocf466cc5c1b; 2012-11-08 at 12:13 PM.

Me and some friends are wanting to try them soon. Our only issue was that there was too much to do at the beginning of the expansion, but things are cooling down now.

I'd love to attempt them. But I don't feel like spending gold over and over for that.

I'd keep trying to get gold if they did:

Add a NPC at the entrance that gives you free potions, flask, elixir and all these stuffs. So you don't feel afraid of using a potion in a wipe (to try to avoid the wipe). Make all these things (and their buffs) disappear once you zone out (so it can't be abused).

Add a npc that gives you free gear (or make your gear automatically change to it) and a reforger/gem vendor (for free) so if you are hit capped for raid bosses you won't have "extra hit".

Do it all and I'll do challange modes over and over and over.

I've not put as much effort into them as I thought I would, but mainly because I am busy with life. I'd like to get the Gold on all of them and I know I can with practice, but it just means putting that time in.

so i checked on another of the servers I play on

there are 0/9 at gold

only 2/9 are even have silver

yeah, no one is getting it on that realm

10+ Year Old Account
    Just 2 questions to everyone.

1) Do you know who has the top challenge mode records on your realm?
    2) Do you know what guild has the highest heroic raiding progress on your realm?

There'll be exceptions but most haven't a clue who even does challenge modes, nobody checks the leaderboard or cares in the slightest about whos topping them. The prestige isn't there.
    Whereas it tends to be common knowledge who the top raiding guilds are on your realm. That lack of interest is the major problem with challenge modes. Groups might get satisfaction from clearing them and getting the highest rank but once they figure out that absolutely nobody will even notice that effort the incentive is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Thyranne View Post
    I'd love to attempt them. But I don't feel like spending gold over and over for that.

I'd keep trying to get gold if they did:

Add a NPC at the entrance that gives you free potions, flask, elixir and all these stuffs. So you don't feel afraid of using a potion in a wipe (to try to avoid the wipe). Make all these things (and their buffs) disappear once you zone out (so it can't be abused).

Add a npc that gives you free gear (or make your gear automatically change to it) and a reforger/gem vendor (for free) so if you are hit capped for raid bosses you won't have "extra hit".

Do it all and I'll do challange modes over and over and over.
    Do it all and i will stop running challenge modes.

There's too much boring stuff that people feel they need to do ahead of the fun stuff like this, yay dailies...
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Quote Originally Posted by ripponesan View Post
    Do it all and i will stop running challenge modes.
    Would you tell me why? Challange mode is (or should be) about knowing your class, your group's classes and the instance you are running not about gear and burning gold for every attempt.

I think the popularity of Challenge modes is going to increase later on in the expansion. At least I just don't have time for that. Besides, measuring the success of Challenge modes on how many people on your realm have managed to do gold runs is just bad, Gold isn't something everyone who tries enough should be able to get. It's for those that are good enough to get it, and especially on low populated realms, there just might not be enough skilled people for that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rt7 View Post
    how many people run them, I don't find the dungeons interesting enough myself to repeatedly run them on a timer.

currently my realm has only 3/9 dungeons done with a gold mode.

I have a feeling those challenge mode armor rewards for getting gold in every dungeon will basically either never be achieved by 99.99% of the wow population, if at all on some realms

if that's working as intended then that is fine, but I have a feeling they will be nerfed in the future possibly.
    So there's actually something challenging and now people start whining it's too hard?

P.S I haven't done them yet at all, cause I just don't have the time. Dailys when I can bother, raiding and arenas are taking all of my time in WoW. Challenge modes would make a nice addition if I didn't have a life.

Deleted
    No queue, can't be arsed. Normal 90 dungeons are face roll....not running dungeons at all. Nearly done with dailies, lfr takes an hOur a week at most.....not much to do really.

They won't be nerfed. Blizzard already came out and said it's not for casuals and they're keeping it that way.

They're good. The real reason people don't do them outside of very organized groups is people are honestly too used to LFD and the social concept of forming a challenging dungeon group is long gone. It's a shame but oh well, less people in the gear, special snowflake status acquired.

Quote Originally Posted by tlacoatl View Post
    No queue, can't be arsed. Normal 90 dungeons are face roll....not running dungeons at all. Nearly done with dailies, lfr takes an hOur a week at most.....not much to do really.
    Dear lord I'd love to get in your LFR runs, I would KILL to only spend an hour in those hellish things a week. Going from heroic progression to LFR makes my fucking teeth hurt.

I have JUST started to step into challenge modes, was a ton of stuff to do/grind early in the expansion. We're steadily getting through our heroic raids now, grinds are all over and stuff is settling down. I'll be getting into them a lot more/hardcore in the coming weeks for sure. What I've done so far has been very, very interesting.
    I don't think we can say they are a failure yet, even if it seems as though they've had low participation thus far. I think a lot of the people who will target them (the more hardcore raiders/players) were just really busy, and in some cases overwhelmed, with the amount of things to do and grind at the start of the expansion. I'd guess participation will pick up soon.
    Last edited by Aceshigh; 2012-11-08 at 12:34 PM.

Hardcore players have something to work for that is legitimate player progression, PvP'ers have Rated battlegrounds and Arena for high-end PvP gear/achievements+titles/mounts. PvE'ers have Raids for high-end Tier gear/achievement+titles/mounts. Literally no one "HARDCORE" cares about 5 man content, especially when there is no character progression involved. If even 2% of the 10 million players across the number of servers there are cared about it (Even low pops have a couple thousand) there wouldn't be a server that didn't already have a couple gold times on each dungeon.

Ultimately they made this for a demographic that didn't exist.
    (This signature was clearly too awesome for the Avatar & Signature Guidelines and was removed to prevent further facemelting)

Quote Originally Posted by snegro View Post
    They won't be nerfed. Blizzard already came out and said it's not for casuals and they're keeping it that way.

They're good. The real reason people don't do them outside of very organized groups is people are honestly too used to LFD and the social concept of forming a challenging dungeon group is long gone. It's a shame but oh well, less people in the gear, special snowflake status acquired.
    well blizzard say alot of things won't get nerfed

eventually they do

like cata dungeons

Done a few challenege modes for the daily quest just for 'easy' VP for capping before reset, it's piss easy to get bronze with any group who bothers to try properly (honestly you can wipe quite a few (talking 6+) and get bronze with no problem. Gotten silver in two without even trying and were 4 mins off gold in GotSS and considering we didn't really try for gold, no pots/flasks and wiped once honestly if we did really try for it we could get gold 'easily' enough, ain't saying it's easy, but it's possible.

I don't think it's a fail because they are being used, and it's nice to challenge yourself rather than being able to near AFK-tank a normal HC dungeon which tbh is more of a drag than having to do Challenge. Easy is boring, it's nice to have the choice. Me and my guild are planning to put a lot more effort into Challenge modes as of next week.