Sound Issue with Headphones

I just bought a brand new pair of headphones a few weeks back, they were working fine even last night. Until this morning. I plugged the headphones jack into the headphones port, and only the left side is getting sound. I tried other headphones and the port on the front of my computer and still get the same issue. Any suggestions?

Let me ask you one thing: the cord of your headphones, does it come from your left headphone, the right headphone, or from both headphones?

EDIT: also, is your headphones' plug USB?
    Last edited by Ielenia; 2012-11-08 at 10:59 PM.

If you're getting the same issue with all headphones, then it's not a headphones issue. More than likely a hardware issue. Have you tried wiggling the plug in the jack or putting it in halfway? I don't know, throwing out ideas.

The tip inside the jack isn't making proper contact (broken or bent out of shape) or the cord at the headphone end is dying.

Try plugging the headphones into other devices to eliminate the latter as a possible cause. Then open up your computer and fix it lol.

The cord comes from both headphones.

I put the jack in halfway and both sides work.

Quote Originally Posted by Laere View Post

Then I'd say it's probably dust within the computer's socket. It's all I can think about. I'm not an expert. >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Laere View Post

You might have to open up the jack (with the system unplugged) and bend the piece of metal inside back into proper position. Or maybe use tweezers?

10+ Year Old Account
    is the sound output in windows balanced?