Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    Ok, if I had a choice between Butter and Margerine - I'd pick butter everytime - Margerine is 1 Molecule away from Plastic.
    You are correct in that butter is better for you but not for why you stated:

Margerine is 1 Molecule away from Plastic

False and idiotic. Stop repeating this internet claim: everything is one molecule away from something else. Very roughly anything with at least two atoms held together by a covalent bond can be considered a molecule. You may as well say water's one molecule away from that soda bottle, or that cheese is one molecule away from being a vacuum. Aside from that it's flat out wrong because it's an atom away from being plastic... but water is also one atom away from being hydrogen (better not turn on the facet you may blow up your house!).

Just like you believing "It's ONE MOLECULE AWAY HERP DERP" people have been brainwashed into believing in margarine innately being better when it fact it isn't. Margaring is a foodstuff (which means refined and processed, like Velveeta "cheese") and any popular brand you buy is actually blended with butter to make it not taste like horse shit.

Either way people, you're going to get butter. Why someone would add all the extra shit is beyond me. Personally I clarify a few pounds whenever I buy any and store it as it gets rid of any extra waste milk-fats that's leftover.

Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    Particular foods DO make you gain weight. Cheese, Bread, Pasta all makes you gain weight. Particular foods Do make you lose weight: Eggs, chillis, celery, brocolli, etc....
    Only complete morons believe certain foods increase or decrease weight loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Aalyy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenver View Post
    Also, as an edit, I forgot to add that ideally one's main energy resource should come from carb.
    Please show me the science to back this up.

Quote Originally Posted by Totori View Post
    You however do not want to cut out it 100%, remember your body first goes to carbohydrates to use for energy, before going to fat. So at least have some amount of carbs in your diet.
    Lets think about why our bodies would use carbs over fat for energy? Because sugar in the blood stream is toxic so we have evolved ways of getting it out of there ASAP. Really fat is the preferred energy for our bodies. Why do we store energy as fat and not a big blob of carbs? It makes absolutely zero sense that carbs are the bodies preferred energy source. Fat is.
    You're actually wrong, but neither are the two you quoted correct. They body burns Carbs first because it contains everything that the entire body can use as an energy source. It's easier on the brain to issue commands on breaking it down and it's extremely efficient. Their theory is based on the fact that the carbs you eat are turned into glucose, and any extra glucose is turned into fat. However, it's not true in reverse (we can get fat from glucose, not glucose from fat) and it's lead people that don't really understand the body to claim that not eating carbs is unhealthy and "starves" your body because you're not getting any glucose.

The problem with this theory is that it's false. It's entirely false. They body can survive completely off of fat reserves and will go to those for energy; it's simply just not as efficient. The fact breaks down into keytones and it uses those instead to power the body (which, ironically, the heart muscles and kidneys actually seem to prefer and fuction much more smoothly with than being powered by glucose) and whichever portions require glucose the brain orders the body to break down what protein you eat into glucose for those tissues (which requires immensely more energy and more fat).

The issue most people have when going to this sort of eating habit (no carbs at all) is that it has an incredibly difficult transition period because the brain prefers glucose power over keytones even though it can use both. It also gives bad breath because the only keytone your body can't use and is entirely a waste product (acetone) ends up being expelled via fecal matter and through your respiratory system.

This is the base of the Ketogenic "Diet" (it's more of a way of eating, like vegetarian): no carbs, only protein and not necessarily all fatty foods. Atkin's pulled his fad from this way of life but basically opened it up to everyone due to the appeal of "If it's protein, it's good baby!". Some doctors that themselves don't understand energy breakdown have been concerned (which is understandable), but some have gone so far as to declare it dangerous or that it causes the body to undergo "Ketosis" and claim it's a form of starvation that will severely affect a patient.

They're correct in that you do undergo "Ketosis" when you choose this way of life. They're incorrect is saying it's a form of starvation because Ketosis is nothing more than stating that your body is being fueled by keytones and you are expelling acetone in your urine (literally, that's what the stick with varying shades of purple as an indicator they have you piss on means). In fact a Ketogenic diet is usually one of the suggestions for parents that have children with seizure problems, because something about the way the brain alters the body's chemistry causes the majority of causes to severely reduce seizures with most end up eliminating them altogether.

TL;DR : eating zero carbs doesn't hurt you in any way, shape, or form. The first week or two's a fucking bitch, though. Don't drive by any bakeries or you may seriously kill someone.

This is an over simplified way of looking at it. Our bodies aren't bomb calorimeters nor are they physics labs. They are living systems with many processes and modifications (hello, enzymes and hormones) to said processes. Calories in = calories out is the old simplistic view. We, or at least those of us who inform ourselves, know better. It has been studied over and over again and the results consistently repeated that you lose more weight, more body fat, on a low carb diet than you do on one similar in calories but higher in carbs. Why those results if it's simply about calories in vs calories out?

---------- Post added 2012-11-13 at 11:12 AM ----------

Please show me the science to back this up.

---------- Post added 2012-11-13 at 11:16 AM ----------

Lets think about why our bodies would use carbs over fat for energy? Because sugar in the blood stream is toxic so we have evolved ways of getting it out of there ASAP. Really fat is the preferred energy for our bodies. Why do we store energy as fat and not a big blob of carbs? It makes absolutely zero sense that carbs are the bodies preferred energy source. Fat is.
    While it's simple way of looking at it, it still works when people think about their activity and food intake. I used to follow the study food and nutrition at The Hague university, while I quit that study cause some things didn't appeal to me I still write food schedules for friends as a hobby. And ofcourse everyone is different and has a different body and eats different, but a few adjustments in their diet helps them gain muscles,weight or lose weight. And the only diets that didn't get riped on where the diets that lowered the calorie intake by not more then 200 then your body used if you wanted to lose weight. Low carb or low fat diets where bad.

And yes carbs are your main energy resource. It can be easily turned into energy cause the molecules are smaller then the fat molecules, so it goes easier into a cell. And because of this your brains and muscles go for that first. When you exercise for 2 hours the 1st hour your body will use the sugar in your blood and after that it starts to use fat.

Sugar in your blood is only toxic when you have to much of it, but then again if you have a low amount of sugar in your blood it's also bad(just look at diabetes patients going bad when their sugar level is to low or to high) . Your body actually stores a certain amount of sugar in muscles(between 200-400 gram). Sugar is easy to get out of your body compared to fat cause most of your sugar is in your blood and blood flows trough your kidneys. So when you have to much sugar in your body it get's out of your body pretty fast. The body stores the energy in fat cause it's easier to chain faties with eachother and also because the basic body has a lot of fat itself.

Now OT. I tried a low wheat diet myself. But stopped with it after a month cause it didn't give me benefits and made me grumpy as hell. But then again I am Dutch we eat bread for breakfast and lunch. And in the Netherlands the food health bureau advises 6-8 slices of bread a day to get our carb, vitamine, mineral and fiber intake(Don't know about other countries but we have nice tasting healthy bread) and that's excluding our pasta,rice or patato intake.

People of my age(I am 25) get an average advise of calorie intake wich is:2700 kcal
    Proteins: 52 grams on average and max 25% of total energy
    Fat:20-35% of totaly energy with max 10% saturated fat.
    Carbs: around 40% of total energy
    Fibers around 30 gram (source:Nederlandse Voedingsmiddelentabel 2006, page 110)

To me this basicly proves that wheat products are very important for a healthy life(cause of the carb intake etc). Just make sure that those wheat products are made out full grain wheat, and you can do this by simple looking if it's brown or not, if it's brown look at the nutrients and see if it has much fiber or not(around 8 gram each 100 gram of bread for example) and then get it.

If you wanna go for a wheat free diet, just make sure you get your carbs trough rice or patatos and it's all fine.

Either way people, you're going to get butter. Why someone would add all the extra shit is beyond me. Personally I clarify a few pounds whenever I buy any and store it as it gets rid of any extra waste milk-fats that's leftover

I like margarine for easy-spread on bread and toast, but prefer butter for cooking/prepared meals (IE, in mashed potatoes, for for cooking trout in.)

Otherwise, I use Canola oil for frying/deep frying (OMG, FRANKENFOOD).

And I do know how to make THC-laden ghee.

I eat whatever the hell I want and I've lost 10 lbs in the last month. The key is wanting to eat more reasonable portions, and healthier foods. Food becomes an addiction. Eating shitty food feels good (at the time) despite the horrible health consequences.

But at the same time, there's a time and place for ice cream, and cheese burgers. That time is occasionally and the place is at family barbecues and amusement parks.

But I think the number 1 factor in peoples endeavor to lose weight, is honestly. Intellectual dishonesty is a big part of human nature. "I've been eating healthy but I keep gaining weight." is a complete lie. Because you have to eat too much to gain weight, and eating too much is not eating healthy.

I never lied to myself when I put on the "Freshly divorced 50" when I split with my ex common-law wifey 2 years ago. Which helps with getting results; you have to admit to yourself that you just drank that can of mountain dew and adjust the rest of your meal planning to compensate. I ate shitty food, and lots of it, because it made me feel good when nothing else would. On the way there, I admitted that I was getting fat, and when I got there I readily admitted that I'm now fat. Although fat is all relatively speaking. I'm more of a chubby bull, physique wise. My size 38 jeans were starting to get tight on me, and I'd consider size 40s "Fat pants" and I wasn't about to go there; and that's when realized I really needed to get on it.

A month later I can already wear some of my less shrunken pairs of size 36 jeans comfortably again. And honestly, to be able to set a goal, achieve it and see the results feels really fucking good; no cheeseburger or pail of ice cream can even remotely compare. My goal was to lose as much weight as I've lost by the end of June, so now I'm setting a goal to shave off another 5-10 lbs by the end of July! (Although navigating the perils of summer barbecues and cold ice cream treats will be difficult).

Although 5 lbs a month is probably around the median maximum healthy rate to lose weight without medical supervision (pulling off 10 on my part could have been a fluke, or just because I work in a very physically demanding job). If your country has health care, and you are fat. Go to your doctor, and tell him you are fat. Be honest. "I'm fat, and I want to change that." and he should be able to provide you with advice, or refer you to somebody who can.

No piece of dietary quackery, or novelty book can even remotely come close to being able to replace the advice of SOMEBODY WHO SPENT 10 YEARS RIGOROUSLY STUDYING THE TOPIC OF HUMAN HEALTH. (So if you're having difficulty losing weight, don't ask me, don't ask the internet, ask your doctor.)

I lost 25 kg just from droping any Wheat product/potatoes and still eat junk food in moderate amount

Deleted
    Why do we store energy as fat and not a big blob of carbs? It makes absolutely zero sense that carbs are the bodies preferred energy source. Fat is.
    The problem with your post is that the reality says otherwise....exactly the contrary. Carbohydrates are the main source of energy because they are the easiest to break-down and store. All carbs break down into glucose ( a basic form of sugar ) and gets stored into the liver, muscles ( as glycogen ) and the excess is turned into fatty acids ( aka fat ).
    s

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    I eat whatever the hell I want and I've lost 10 lbs in the last month. The key is wanting to eat more reasonable portions, and healthier foods. Food becomes an addiction. Eating shitty food feels good (at the time) despite the horrible health consequences.

But at the same time, there's a time and place for ice cream, and cheese burgers. That time is occasionally and the place is at family barbecues and amusement parks.

But I think the number 1 factor in peoples endeavor to lose weight, is honestly. Intellectual dishonesty is a big part of human nature. "I've been eating healthy but I keep gaining weight." is a complete lie. Because you have to eat too much to gain weight, and eating too much is not eating healthy.

I never lied to myself when I put on the "Freshly divorced 50" when I split with my ex common-law wifey 2 years ago. Which helps with getting results; you have to admit to yourself that you just drank that can of mountain dew and adjust the rest of your meal planning to compensate. I ate shitty food, and lots of it, because it made me feel good when nothing else would. On the way there, I admitted that I was getting fat, and when I got there I readily admitted that I'm now fat. Although fat is all relatively speaking. I'm more of a chubby bull, physique wise. My size 38 jeans were starting to get tight on me, and I'd consider size 40s "Fat pants" and I wasn't about to go there; and that's when realized I really needed to get on it.

A month later I can already wear some of my less shrunken pairs of size 36 jeans comfortably again. And honestly, to be able to set a goal, achieve it and see the results feels really fucking good; no cheeseburger or pail of ice cream can even remotely compare. My goal was to lose as much weight as I've lost by the end of June, so now I'm setting a goal to shave off another 5-10 lbs by the end of July! (Although navigating the perils of summer barbecues and cold ice cream treats will be difficult).

Although 5 lbs a month is probably around the median maximum healthy rate to lose weight without medical supervision (pulling off 10 on my part could have been a fluke, or just because I work in a very physically demanding job). If your country has health care, and you are fat. Go to your doctor, and tell him you are fat. Be honest. "I'm fat, and I want to change that." and he should be able to provide you with advice, or refer you to somebody who can.

No piece of dietary quackery, or novelty book can even remotely come close to being able to replace the advice of SOMEBODY WHO SPENT 10 YEARS RIGOROUSLY STUDYING THE TOPIC OF HUMAN HEALTH. (So if you're having difficulty losing weight, don't ask me, don't ask the internet, ask your doctor.)
    Hear, hear. I used to have an overcharged metablism, a result of lifestyle. I was always underweight (5"3' and about 100 lbs). Once I got rid of my ex - who messed up my metabolism, for a certain reason (I never ate regularly, but he insisted I did, just to prove that the food I cooked wasn't poison, sigh - paranoia) I started gaining weight with whatever I ate. I've recently started to go back to the "bounty and then starve" agenda I used to have, while still making sure my current can eat all he can want (he's underweight for other reasons). I took up bad habits, like drinking, out of spite. I know what my problem is (and now that I have my own bike, I can work on it), but it's going to take time to tone the belly muscles back up (5'3 and currently 118, but I wouldn't mind getting to 110 lbs.)

---------- Post added 2013-06-29 at 11:46 AM ----------

Hear, hear. I used to have an overcharged metablism, a result of lifestyle. I was always underweight (5"3' and about 100 lbs). Once I got rid of my ex - who messed up my metabolism, for a certain reason (I never ate regularly, but he insisted I did, just to prove that the food I cooked wasn't poison, sigh - paranoia) I started gaining weight with whatever I ate. I've recently started to go back to the "bounty and then starve" agenda I used to have, while still making sure my current can eat all he can want (he's underweight for other reasons). I took up bad habits, like drinking, out of spite. I know what my problem is (and now that I have my own bike, I can work on it), but it's going to take time to tone the belly muscles back up (5'3 and currently 118, but I wouldn't mind getting to 110 lbs with a stupid spare tire I'd like to get rid of.)

Why all the wheat hate? Iam a baker and the first bakery I ever worked at(was only a year and a half ago, Iam not that old) baked TONS of breads.

People went nuts for them. As human beings, you really dont understand the skill it takes to make a really good loaf of bread. Its an orchestration if anything and you can tell when someone doesnt know how to make it.

That being said, its like the lifeblood of the world. We have thrived(very brilliantly might I add) on whole grain wheat for YEARS!! It has so many vital nutrients and essentials to daily life. It provides tons amino acids, which any doctor or biologist will tell you is one of the most important things for your body. Whole grain wheat is honestly one of gods gift to man.

We could live of off it, fish, fruits/veggies and water very healthy too. Thats why I feel really sad for people who are wheat or gluten allergic. Its in so many things and partners with like every meal. Usually some type of bread or tortilla or pasta or rice goes with most dishes, atleast what I cook.

People need to realize its not what they eat but how much of it, we as a nation(americans) are addicted to bread and grains. Limiting it is certainly going to help, but so is lowering the amount of soda you drink and sugary things you eat and fast food. If you cut all those in half right now you would lose alot of weight. I can assure you without a doubt, no one is grain or gluten starved in america. =P

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really wheat so much as starch in general

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by silentk59 View Post
    Why all the wheat hate? Iam a baker and the first bakery I ever worked at(was only a year and a half ago, Iam not that old) baked TONS of breads.

People went nuts for them. As human beings, you really dont understand the skill it takes to make a really good loaf of bread. Its an orchestration if anything and you can tell when someone doesnt know how to make it.

That being said, its like the lifeblood of the world. We have thrived(very brilliantly might I add) on whole grain wheat for YEARS!! It has so many vital nutrients and essentials to daily life. It provides tons amino acids, which any doctor or biologist will tell you is one of the most important things for your body. Whole grain wheat is honestly one of gods gift to man.

We could live of off it, fish, fruits/veggies and water very healthy too. Thats why I feel really sad for people who are wheat or gluten allergic. Its in so many things and partners with like every meal. Usually some type of bread or tortilla or pasta or rice goes with most dishes, atleast what I cook.

People need to realize its not what they eat but how much of it, we as a nation(americans) are addicted to bread and grains. Limiting it is certainly going to help, but so is lowering the amount of soda you drink and sugary things you eat and fast food. If you cut all those in half right now you would lose alot of weight. I can assure you without a doubt, no one is grain or gluten starved in america. =P
    Generally speaking, the hate associated with wheat comes from the fact that it contains gluten ( which the human body cannot completely digest, and therefore is intolerant to....just like lactose ).
    It's also due to the fact most wheat products contain the heavy processed version ( stripped of all the fiber ) and therefore contains more calories, is faster to digest and produces a higher insuline response ( which results in fat depositing )
    Tbh I consume whole wheat regularly, but I workout 5 times a week at the gym and carefully watch over my diet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Armagedous View Post
    Hah, no.

Look into Basal Metabolic Rates.
    So in other words we spend calories while doing nothing. We spend calories by sleeping too. What's new?

And how does this relate to what i said? Unless of course you mean to say the amount of calories burned outweight the calorie intake , which i doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Hastings View Post
    No, I do not believe this is true, my sister has Celiac (Which means she Can't eat wheat, is allergic), and it has not caused weight loss.

---------- Post added 2012-11-08 at 06:29 PM ----------

That being said though, eating too much wheat is unhealthy, so reducing it isn't a bad thing!

And you would be surprised how many things have wheat in them nowadays...it's, excuse my French, fucking ridiculous.
    WHOA THERE, CASE SIZE OF 1, CALL UP SClENCE AND TELL THEM THEY'RE WORK IS DONE.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

10+ Year Old Account
    trolling the enemy team with my shaco juke
    So guys, I started working as an ER receptionist on the 2nd October 2012, I weighed 92kg and was 1.64cm. After 8 months I weighed myself again, I got down to 65kg, 1.65cm. I did not exercise during this period, pretty much went down to a one meal per day unless I was working graveyard where then I could eat 3 decent meals a day. NOTE - everything I ate was the worst crap possible, deep fried junk and what not.. Been 4 months since I quit and have gotten back to a good diet ( fruit and vegs daily and every 2 days 300ml freshly made orange / apple with exercise ). I now weigh 62kg. Explanation please

Doctors are paid to say whatever the payer wants.

---------- Post added 2013-06-29 at 01:20 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    Holy shit, you don't eat bread, cakes, and other high calorie foods and you lose weight?!? Next you are going to tell me not drinking soda also makes you lose weight! What? Eating butter makes you gain weight? AMAZING.
    Processed sugars and fats are bad for you, but butter isn't. Using Olive Oil to cook is worse for you than butter is. Margarine is where the fat-goblin gets you.

---------- Post added 2013-06-29 at 01:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    So in other words we spend calories while doing nothing. We spend calories by sleeping too. What's new?

And how does this relate to what i said? Unless of course you mean to say the amount of calories burned outweight the calorie intake , which i doubt.
    He's saying that not everyone has a 2000 calorie diet.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post

Ofc you spend calories, even when doing nothing. Do you just think that our body magically works without the need of intense internal functions?
    How in the world do you even reply to posts without applying the most basic of knowledge?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethox View Post
    Ofc you spend calories, even when doing nothing. Do you just think that our body magically works without the need of intense internal functions?
    How in the world do you even reply to posts without applying the most basic of knowledge?
    The post was worded considering what the poster i quoted said, which appeared to me as some sort of counter to what i had said.

I already knew that the human body burns calories for not doing anything, even if you're laying down or just sitting all day.

What i said was that the amount of calories burned for such lack of activities won't be sufficient to outweigh the number of calories you take, if your plan is to sit around all day doing nothing and stuffing yourself.

I don't even know how you got that impression from what i said.

Roflifier: I posted that figure thinking of a normal calory intake for the average adult male. Of course it leaves room for variation.

Quote Originally Posted by caninepawprints View Post
    In First magazine, there is an article about wheat, and they cite a book called “Wheat Belly.” It goes on to talk about how wheat is the cause of many people's obesity, which, they said, is very similar to a “beer belly.” By eliminating wheat from their diet and doing nothing else, people are able to effortlessly lose weight. They go on to talk a lot about how wheat has changed over the years, and how in the 1970's, it was genetically engineered to be a hardier crop. This, in turn, changed its appearance and the effect it has on those who consume it. Not only do people put on weight, but they may notice health problems arise; such as lethargy, depression, joint swelling, and other things. By eliminating wheat, people's hunger pangs supposedly turn into a gentle reminder that it might be time to eat rather than a sharp, intense need to eat food NOW.

It made me think about my own diet. I've been interested in trying a Paleo Diet for quite some time, but it's so restrictive that I wasn't able to take the plunge. Eliminating wheat from my diet, but not other Paleo-unfriendly items, might be a good starting point. So I decided to try an experiment. This weekend, I'll come up with a menu that doesn't include wheat. I'll check my weight before and after (because some people talked about their shock at having a 5-pound weight loss from the first day or two) and see how I feel emotionally and physically.

I'll post my results here. In the meantime, I would love to hear comments and suggestions from other people, both negative and positive.
    Check out the keto-genesis diet, it's like paleo only without cutting out a lot of stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thread was necro'd. No reason to keep this open.