Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

How (un)stable are actually OCZ SSD's nowadays?

Ok so i've been wondering for a little while about this. From what i've understood the infamous stability issues OCZ have had are mostly related to some of the older series? I seem to hear more and more good things about the newer series of SSD's they've put out, but there's always someone telling you to stay far away from them. Is it really that bad? Like is it a 50/50 gamble to buy one of those or is the criticism massively exaggerated if you look at what they've put out recently? Anyone here using either the Agility or Vertex who can shed some light?

The Vertex 4 is one of the better, fastest SSDs on the market. However, people are hesitant to recommend OCZ because of their, let me say less than brilliant, past.

Been using a vertex 4 256g for a couple months, no problems thus far. Will be ordering a second one soon to run in raid.

EDIT: my mate has 2x vertex 3 120g in raid 0, never had a problem with his either.
    Last edited by Oncereborn; 2012-11-09 at 05:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    the Vertex4 is solid, and has a 5 year warranty to back it up, however, Linus mentioned the other day that OCZ's stock is not in a good place, so even with a 5 year warranty, OCZ may not be there in a few years to back that warranty

Deleted
    if you stick to vertex 3/4 you should be fine, seen quite some agility series not reach their speeds and just use worse parts overall.
    most of the ocz bad reviews are from older generations aswell.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    i have had my agility 3 for almost a year and its working just fine, gets some good scores in benchmarks for what thats worth..
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga

Vertex4 here, working like a charm, no problems at all.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Deleted
    Vertex 4 seems a stable and fast device, but is still quite new. IMHO at least an year should pass until we can conclude whether an SSD is stable or not. That's why I chose to go with Samsung 830, i was released more than year ago and has already earned a great reputation. Only time will tell if Vertex 4 will do the same.
    Last edited by mmoc5faf9daf41; 2012-11-27 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pnv View Post
    Vertex 4 seems a stable and fast device, but is still quite new. IMHO at least an year should pass until we can conclude whether an SSD is stable or not. That's why I chose to go with Samsung 830, i was released more than year ago and has already earned a great reputation. Only time will tell if Vertex 4 will do the same.
    So we should wait til its old and slower than the new stuff? That is realistically what you just said. Samsung 830 Crucial M4 and basically all non Sandforce SSD;s have good reputations, some are a bit "Faster" but for an average everday person any Sata 3 ssd will blow your mind and you will not be able to tell the difference without benching software.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    So we should wait til its old and slower than the new stuff? That is realistically what you just said.
    thats how enterprise works

I have an agility 3 (240) and have had no issues and easily reached the speeds it has listed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    thats how enterprise works
    My point is the samsung 830 didnt get its rep by noone buying it til now, items need to be consumer tested not just in housed.

10+ Year Old Account
    My point is the samsung 830 didnt get its rep by noone buying it til now, items need to be consumer tested not just in housed.
    i know what you meant

i know what you meant
    Talkative today! lol but no I mean I get the "cautionary" aspect of purchasing but being in the tip top performance league or even up to date with technology is hard enough imagine waiting a year for everything!!!! If we went by that rationality everyone would still be using Phenom x4's and waiting for i5/i7 2xxx models to be "tested" as in all fairness the i5/i7 xxx series was kind of lackluster $ for $ when you compare them to like a 965 or even one of the lucky sob athlons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Talkative today! lol but no I mean I get the "cautionary" aspect of purchasing but being in the tip top performance league or even up to date with technology is hard enough imagine waiting a year for everything!!!! If we went by that rationality everyone would still be using Phenom x4's and waiting for i5/i7 2xxx models to be "tested" as in all fairness the i5/i7 xxx series was kind of lackluster $ for $ when you compare them to like a 965 or even one of the lucky sob athlons.
    that is why first adopters get special treatment in hardware communities, my computer may not run wow much better than yours, but the money i spent on it is funding the development of new tech

that is why first adopters get special treatment in hardware communities, my computer may not run wow much better than yours, but the money i spent on it is funding the development of new tech
    Yea I understand that, I had a C2X for a while. I still own crysis and crysis wars rofl, how piss poor it actually ran compared to now is hilarious. I still am pretty sure your PC can stream record and multitask its ass off better than mine. I'll bet your BF3 video's would look amazing, where as to be fair I have to cut down to high graphics to maintain recording and playability. I'd love your PC but I think'd I have opted for just 2 680's myself rather than the dual 690's, performance hit but idk I dislike dual gpu boards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea I understand that, I had a C2X for a while. I still own crysis and crysis wars rofl, how piss poor it actually ran compared to now is hilarious. I still am pretty sure your PC can stream record and multitask its ass off better than mine. I'll bet your BF3 video's would look amazing, where as to be fair I have to cut down to high graphics to maintain recording and playability. I'd love your PC but I think'd I have opted for just 2 680's myself rather than the dual 690's, performance hit but idk I dislike dual gpu boards.
    i was originally going to go for 2 680s, but then the opportunity for 690s came up and i jumped on it

i view computers like mine more like a dream car, a honda will get you to and from work, and where you need to go, but it will never be as cool as a ferrari

i was originally going to go for 2 680s, but then the opportunity for 690s came up and i jumped on it

i view computers like mine more like a dream car, a honda will get you to and from work, and where you need to go, but it will never be as cool as a ferrari
    I do believe that was a beautiful statement. Unfortunately the car analogies dont work on everything tech related even tho i love em, cuz in 40 years both of our PC's will be shit balls, and well I'd still buy a 68 camaro or charger in a heartbeat. On a side note tho, OCZ has had some stock failings as of late but a lot of companies have, Intel/AMD are not good comparisons to other companies. OCZ has invested a ton of money into other companies and have kept most of them intact i.e PC power and Cooling which ill never give up on, they were in my first PC and if there wasnt a budgeting issue id have 1 in this rig, unfortunately 6950x2 or $100 psu, I bought the 2nd 6950 and yea had to put it in a different pc within a week I cried a little.
    Last edited by Milkshake86; 2012-11-09 at 02:25 PM.

I've been using a Vertex 3 Max IOPS for a year and have not had a single issue. Just put a brand new 128g Vertex 4 into a build for my mother-in-law last week and it's working perfect. With a basic Asus mobo and a AMD A10 I clocked (stop watch by hand) boot time (power button to fully loaded desktop) at around 25 seconds.
    Asus Rampage III Formula, i7-960 3.85Ghz, 12g Crucial Ballistix Tracer, EVGA GTX590 Classified Hydrocopper
    Samsung 840 pro 256g, WD Velociraptor 450
    Koolance RP-1200, Koolance CPU-370, Koolance 1x140 and 2x140 rads

Agility 3 here too.

No problems whatsoever.