- Brewmaster Healing - Blade Lord Ta'yak

Hello

As Brewmaster I wanted to know how important is using the healing spells in rotations. I was asked from my guild to do some research, mostly because the raid leader saw a BrM doing like 20k HPS on a Raid Boss.

For raid bosses usually I spend my energy/chi on dps/defensive spells and keeping my buffs up, and I dont use Zen Sphere/Chi wave much at all. Expel Harm is not on my top priority neither.

What are your thoughts about it?

PS: All this conversation was because getting some big hits on Blade Lord Ta'yak. Switching at 2 stacks with DK tank. Anyway I was taking a lot less dmg than him on every try.

Armory just in case: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...onken/advanced
    Last edited by Kenshix; 2012-11-09 at 03:00 PM.
    Fanpage: https://www.facebook.com/sergioquijadaart
    Webpage: http://www.sergioquijada.cl
    Twitter: @sergioquijada
    Instagram: @sergioquijada

Deleted
    Hows your shuffle uptime? He does hit hard but you can get in a nice cd rotation using dampen harm, your dodge trinket and EB. Make sure your PB is used for moderate to heavy stagger and keep EH ready for the big hits. I started tanking on our attempts and took some big hits. Next time i'll ask our dk to start so i can build shuffle time. Should be able to get around 15 secs uptime b4 i taunt. You could chuck out chi wave when your dk is tanking but also build your shuffle stacks so you can skip a BoK now and again for some PB. We only tried the fight once but got to 10%. Gonna down him on sunday. Good luck mate.

10+ Year Old Account
    for your damage taken you have to look at friendly fire as well for stagger damage
    you should be taking about 30% more than the dk, just saying.
    (recount doesn't show stagger under damage taken, just friendly fire, it is very misleading)

as far as not using expel harm? any reason not to? same energy used for 1 chi as a jab between the talented 30 seconds with 2...
    eases up on healers and takes nothing away from you.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

Blade Lord Ta'yak is going to be our bane. This will definitely be a 'wall' so to speak for a lot of Brewmasters. Overwhelming Assault goes against our base mitigation abilities. My 16k Armor is no match for OA. My 77% Total Avoidance (With EB And Shuffle up) is absolutely useless against that attack. The combo IS super imperative of course for the melee attacks that follow during that fragile period after taking the second OA. As the poster above me mentioned, it's all about CD management. Mainly, for me, Dampen Harm and Fortifying Brew. Since having Shuffle + Fort Brew up allows us to Stagger another 40% of that hit ontop of our Ox Stance and Mastery, it's VERY important to make sure you have 1 Chi available for Purifying Brew immediately after, and then use Dampen Harm as soon as you can. Usually it's not the second OA that kills you, it's the ensuing attacks immediately after the OA.

Make sure your Tank partner is on point with his tank swapping. The faster he pulls it off you the better off you are.

This is a thread I'd like to see a ton of discussion in, mainly the Bladelord experiences. While I may not be the best Brewmaster, and there are probably people who think it's an extremely easy fight, there are plenty of BrMs out there having troubles.

Good luck bud!

Deleted
    Eh's it's not THAT bad, just there isn't a timer for dbm but he usually does the 2nd overwhelming assault when the first debuff is down to 25 seconds before its about to drop off, usually just before an unseen strike. So yeah just save guard for around that peroid (more or less completely negates all the damage if timed perfectly) or dampen harm, tell healers about it too, to be prepared for that amount of spike damage and really if it's serious problems, just stack a good, chunk of stamina.

Also, haste is a large issue of not bothering with that much healing (besides expel harm), the more haste percentage you gain, more chi, more stagger uptime, so spare chi to use on your healing ability on, I don't use it that much either (chi wave), actually the last 20% of the wind lord fight it's quite handy if a healer dies getting to the end of the room or gets caught etc, keeping the dps alive is more important than keeping the stagger up, so enrage isn't hit.
    Last edited by mmoc40e5a9c261; 2012-11-09 at 07:43 AM.

Most of a Brewmaster's recorded healing on like, World of Logs, is actually from the Ox Statue. So your raid leader seeing 20k HPS is all from the Ox Statue's Guard.

That being said, the level 30 talents are actually very, very useful. I've had Zen Sphere detonate for 200k crits before. Chi Wave can hit upwards of 100k+ as well. Basically, if you're taking damage, your Shuffle is fine, your Stagger is fine, Expel Harm is on CD, feel free to dump Chi into one of the level 30 talents. Zen Sphere is a strong HoT, can be used again for amazing burst heal on the raid (if stacked up). Chi Wave is nice not only on yourself, but on nearby injured raid members.

Blade Lord specifically, once Phase 2 rolls around, I spend most of my Chi on Zen Sphere detonations, since the boss isn't attacking me at that point. The result ends up looking like this: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-ct...?s=2417&e=2894. I forgot to reposition my Ox Statue a few times as well, so it could've been even higher.

Also, if you're not using Expel Harm, you should be. Anytime you're damaged enough to where it won't overheal much, use it. One last bit of advice. If you're getting trucked by the 2nd stack, consider investing a bit more into Stamina. That was my problem initially, but I switched to 300 stam food, the stam flask, and a stam trinket. It made a world of a difference.

Deleted
    Try updating your dbm, mine shows a cooldown for the assault, though inaccurate. He'll always do the assault when DBM says there's 5 sec left before it (unless he's not in melee range ofc, in which case he'll do it as soon as he can hit you), so you just have to remember to time your guard when DBM says there's 6 secs left before it, and you should take close to 0 damage. If you mess up for whatever reason (guard on cd or used too early), dampen harm should be plenty enough anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by TrollFu View Post
    Blade Lord Ta'yak is going to be our bane. This will definitely be a 'wall' so to speak for a lot of Brewmasters. Overwhelming Assault goes against our base mitigation abilities. My 16k Armor is no match for OA. My 77% Total Avoidance (With EB And Shuffle up) is absolutely useless against that attack. The combo IS super imperative of course for the melee attacks that follow during that fragile period after taking the second OA. As the poster above me mentioned, it's all about CD management. Mainly, for me, Dampen Harm and Fortifying Brew. Since having Shuffle + Fort Brew up allows us to Stagger another 40% of that hit ontop of our Ox Stance and Mastery, it's VERY important to make sure you have 1 Chi available for Purifying Brew immediately after, and then use Dampen Harm as soon as you can. Usually it's not the second OA that kills you, it's the ensuing attacks immediately after the OA.

Make sure your Tank partner is on point with his tank swapping. The faster he pulls it off you the better off you are.

This is a thread I'd like to see a ton of discussion in, mainly the Bladelord experiences. While I may not be the best Brewmaster, and there are probably people who think it's an extremely easy fight, there are plenty of BrMs out there having troubles.

Good luck bud!
    Absolute nonsense, you can dampen harm the 2nd OA and if you really want to - guard it, your health bar wont even move. Use them BEFORE the overwhelming assault hits.

There're some interesting tips in this thread, specially how you all handle the defensive CDs on the Overwhelming Assault hits. Switching to some Stamina Trinkets may help too. Gonna give it a try to see if it makes any improvement to my performance and make the healers job easier.
    Fanpage: https://www.facebook.com/sergioquijadaart
    Webpage: http://www.sergioquijada.cl
    Twitter: @sergioquijada
    Instagram: @sergioquijada