Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Intellect VS Spirit

Hi guys,
    I read a lot about that yesterday, but I still haven't made my mind on what I should value more.
    With my current ilvl 466 gear, I often find myself having mana issues, especially when I need to do some heavy aoe healing. I have 9.6k spirit atm and I am wondering when intellect becomes better. Guild mates are advising that I should get as much spirit as possible which seems logical when you are having mana trouble, but I have always valued intellect for the ability to increase my throughput when needed and possibly save a wipe. Also intellect increases not only hps but healing per mana too, thus having positive effect on mana too.
    Bearing this in mind for me its currently 100 intellect ~ 110 spirit. However, a poster on elitist was claming 100 intellect ~ 80 spirit.
    What are your thoughts about it?

Deleted
    I think it depends alot on how you manage your mana. With your 9.6k spirit you shouldn't be having too much mana issues (I have around the same) and sure, it depends alot on what fights im doing -> how much mana issues I have. Overhealing much? Making use of as much holy power as possible (holy shock on cd)? Using your throughput cd's wisely?

Basically it breaks down into
    int = more throughput, less regen
    spirit = more regen, less throughput.

If you have the need for more throughput or if your regen is over the top (you should end each fight with little to no mana left to be as efficient as possible) you should change some gems maybe and try to get those int set bonuses for more int. I am going for more int recently, yesterdays MSV clear I ended the feng fight with 30% mana with only one divine plea used.

In my opinion Spirit>INT , yes we lose some throughput but we can heal more in time, especially on 25 man it work pretty well.

I over 10k spirit unbuffed and look for more spirit. But it depend on raid composition, avoiding damage, other healers, u should aim that amount of spirit you fell comfortable. But in your situation you should gem pure spirit gem, reforge ->spirit and use regen trinket.
    I was searching top holy paladins and a lot of them gem pure spirit especially on 25 man .

Deleted
    Go spirit until you can finish any fight without going OOM.

The amount of spirit you have mostly depends on the trinkets you have, if you're running a static spirit trinket you might want to aim a little bit higher, if not then you should be about right to start thinking about the value of other stats along side increasing your spirit

At the beggining of MoP I tried int > spi but it went south. After changing it the other way around i got not only more mana regen, but also a substatial increase o HPS.

---------- Post added 2012-11-09 at 01:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Xs View Post
    The amount of spirit you have mostly depends on the trinkets you have, if you're running a static spirit trinket you might want to aim a little bit higher, if not then you should be about right to start thinking about the value of other stats along side increasing your spirit
    Absolutly true. I would advise u to try to get the DKM Faire trinket and the VP's one. U'll notice a gr8 boost
    Last edited by froxyyer; 2012-11-09 at 12:55 PM.

There are no diminishing returns for spirit, and no amount of intellect will make your holy light heal for more than your divine light. Intellect is a better throughput stat than even mastery but as a regen-throttled healing class I don't see any reason not to go all out spirit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Id personally say to go for Spirit in your gearing as much as possible. There are certain places where I value Int over Spirit, such as food and Flasks, but with my gems and enchants I try to get as much Spirit as possible out of my gear.

Deleted
    As most of the people in this thread say, go spirit til' you can last a bossfight without going OOM, until the end that is.
    Use CDs wisely and DP on CD (Depending on your stats, glyphing your DP can be a really good choice.. Depends on your haste though.)

Theres no real downside to going all out spirit > int, with the way regen mechanics were trashed spirit is an all-star now.

http://www.twitch.tv/hammerpairs 7/7 Mythic EN / 3/3 Mythic ToV / 10/10 Mythic NH / 9/9 Mythic ToS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBmNLMo4vcI some old school CM fun
    "Your lights will go out. The darkness will envelop you. And you will fear the shadows that move within it."

Please do not post meme or meme-like images. - Malthanis
    Last edited by Malthanis; 2012-11-14 at 03:14 PM.

Pushing 9500 spirit unbuffed, come close to 11000 with flask and raid buffed, I can push nearly 13000 with procs. Still not enough! And I have no problem pushing 60k hps+ sustained on fights in MGV normal. I'd still be looking for more spirit. I usually end fights with most mana gone, but that's my personal playstyle.

At this stage of the game it is all about the spirit. Reforge everything that doesn't have spirit into spirit. Make sure all your gems contain spirit (though they don't have to be pure spirit).

Int will probably come through a bit stronger later on in the game.

I find having more spirit is better ... And i agree with alot of the other posters. Just stack spirit till you feel like your good or not going oom

I haven't done any healing as paladin yet, but for priests, who seem to be having much worse problems with mana, you go OOM as either holy or disc(but disc is much worse) until your gear and spirit are at the right level. Even if I try to heal very conservatively, I go OOM halfway through boss fights. That said, my spirit is pretty low, even with 465 avg ilvl. A complete reforge is planned for the weekend to see if that helps.

TL;DR version: go spirit until you're comfortable, then go int. throughput really doesn't matter if you have no mana, and waiting to heal until everyone is almost dead to conserve mana is not the fun kind of excitement.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    At 480 im going pretty well with mana at the end of fights, granted i also have a boomkin giving me innervate on use, i feel like i want around 13k spirit unbuffed, it wont be obtainable until i get more gear but with qin' xis and the dark moon card i get a static spirit and spirit proc, i also use plea on cd with torrent. The way i see it is the more mana i can regen the more heals i can do. again it all depends on how you play though.

The less spirit you have, the more skilled you are. Mindlessly stacking spirit is clearly for noobs who can't manage mana. Personally I'm comfortable with 10k spirit unbuffed in heroic 25man.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsmith06 View Post
    At 480 im going pretty well with mana at the end of fights, granted i also have a boomkin giving me innervate on use, i feel like i want around 13k spirit unbuffed, it wont be obtainable until i get more gear but with qin' xis and the dark moon card i get a static spirit and spirit proc, i also use plea on cd with torrent. The way i see it is the more mana i can regen the more heals i can do. again it all depends on how you play though.

You really shouldn't need to be innervated on cooldown at 480 ilvl.

Quote Originally Posted by WtfamIreading View Post
    The less spirit you have, the more skilled you are. Mindlessly stacking spirit is clearly for noobs who can't manage mana. Personally I'm comfortable with 10k spirit unbuffed in heroic 25man.
    Give me a break. This is so far from true. The paladins in the guilds racing for World Firsts are stacking spirit. I highly doubt you are better than them.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Its not that I need it, but since its there and the macro was made the first week it just comes to me either way

Quote Originally Posted by WtfamIreading View Post
    People who say this are idiots and likely havnt done any challenging content

http://www.twitch.tv/hammerpairs 7/7 Mythic EN / 3/3 Mythic ToV / 10/10 Mythic NH / 9/9 Mythic ToS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBmNLMo4vcI some old school CM fun
    "Your lights will go out. The darkness will envelop you. And you will fear the shadows that move within it."