Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Complaint: Loot is too damn RNG

I've never quite experienced the RNG-ness of loot as much as in this patch.

I dinged L90 like 2-3 days after MoP launched... I've crafted my ass off, bought all the best epic gear I could find... BMAH included. Raided my ass off every week, needless to say I did tons of effort and really wanted to be in topnotch gear again this patch around.

However... the RNG gods have struck me down from my plans... I'm running around in ilvl 477 gear while some people who don't even raid are running around in almost ilvl 490 gear.

First, there is the lucky coins. This just makes loot even more RNG ... All I get from it is gold, gold, gold, gold, every week gold. Other people get their tierpieces, BiS trinkets, BiS loot overall almost everytime they try to use a coin.

Secondly, the outdoor worldbosses seem to be screwing me over too. I'm not sure if it's the new lootsystem but I've never quite felt like having such a low chance or success on getting loot from bosses (same in LFR). I've done enough effort to make sure I can kill both Sha and Galleon at least once every week, yet ... same story again, gold, gold, gold, gold, gold... while a friend of mine has gotten loot almost every kill and a fricken epic mount on top of it.

It's very depressing and not fun to be shafted like this by RNG on loot. When you put in as much or more effort as others and the new luck based lootsystem is so heavily fucking you over. The lucky gold coins... I'm starting to hate the feature, I'm also starting to hate the worldbosses with their random chance on dropping tier items.......

Welcome to World of Warcraft! Enjoy your stay!

What you fail to see is that RNG is what keeps this game interesting. Though it can be frustrting at times, it ´d be boring as f*** if you knew you had to do an instance lets say 6 times to get everything you want.

If you dont like the world bosses/coins don't use them. Go back to just raiding and hoping that the normal/heroic mode loot tables drop the items you want.

You realize you are upset about secondary sources of loot, not primary. Quit complaining about RNG which has always / will always be an aspect of MMO's. It just sounds childish

Let me ask you this: Which part of "RANDOM Number Generator" did you not understand?

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    I'm running around in ilvl 477 gear while some people who don't even raid are running around in almost ilvl 490 gear.
    You're exaggering quite a lot but I do understand your frustration. All I can really tell you to do is to not let it get you down. Honestly I think gear drops are secondary. As long as you know your class very well and such you will not be dragging your team down. Just continue to put in effort. People will notice that and when finally something drops it'll most likely be assigned to you. If you do random roll loot system and everybody is a loot whore who will never ever pass loot to you then I am sorry..;(

This comes from a kitty dps. Not having a single madness polearm or yorsahj staff drop until the second last week in cata and running around with lfr polearm was not fun. And also the 0,1% drop chance BIS BY A BIG MARGAIN trinket ><

EDIT:
    It seems that OJntoast completely missed your point -.-
    OP is getting frustrated that he is putting in all this effort and it's not helping his personal progression at all. OJntoast then suggests you stop putting in effort. Genius....facepalm
    Last edited by Karlzone; 2012-11-10 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    What you fail to see is that RNG is what keeps this game interesting. Though it can be frustrting at times, it ´d be boring as f*** if you knew you had to do an instance lets say 6 times to get everything you want.
    I know. But I feel like the bonus loot coins have made it even more random than it used to be before. And the world bosses haven't been very generous with me either so far...

I've played WoW since Vanilla beta... raided since vanilla launch too, either the RNG gods are disliking me very much this patch, or else the system is much more RNG than it used to be before. I'm currently just the one that got the shaft with loot lol... not happy about it, not when I know I did all the effort in the world to try and be on top...

I went from in the top 3 best geared people on my realm the first 3 weeks to ... all the way down because my bonus coins never work and Sha and Galleon refuse to drop anything but gold too (even with bonusrolls). If it wasn't for the Valor Point and dailies system I'd be even further down on the totempole after all this effort...

Meh, its difficult for sure, but it does keep the game more alive and interesting

Seriously it was never easier to get loot and every time someone in your guild loots something via a coin chances are getting better for the unlucky rest to get that item as well.

It might be too RNG for you because you didn't win? Me..won T 14 legs on my first Sha of Anger raid by the use of a charm of fortune. So by that logic, you are extremely unlucky, I am extremly lucky and it evens out.

I honestly have done too many raids from MC in 2005 to the end of ICC in 2010 to argue about this. Literally at least 3 raids every week in that time, easily 750 raids (add to this that I raided on 2 toons in WotLK and the odd T11 and LFraid in Cata and it probaly is closer to 1000 raids) and I guess I have seen all the shit luck and all the dumb luck there is
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

I'm running around in ilvl 477 gear while some people who don't even raid are running around in almost ilvl 490 gear.
    That is an impossibility

Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    That is an impossibility
    The highest you can get without raiding is 489 unless you're already somehow wearing the best PVP gear.

The Lightbringer Kevyne-Shandris's Avatar
    Personally prefer the DDO dungeon loot system, and this is how it works (it also has RNG, but in a way that is more rewarding).

1. Repeatable quest giver near the entrance to a dungeon hands out a quest (makes sense, has to be a purpose for going in there but loot).
    2. That quest has you to kill XYZ or retrieve something.
    3. When you finish killing/obtaining the item, you return back to the quest giver.
    4. You now get a scrolling loot list of rewards to choose from, most not really good, some are like rares...but there's a chance of a really nice epic piece to be in the list (RNG).

You come away from the dungeon with something as a reward for your time THAT YOU CAN USE (they even have a class filter as the list can be long)...and you can go right back in hoping to farm for another 1 to 6hrs trying to get that epic piece of gear.

What's bad about the WoW loot system is that it's purely RNG, with little to no reward for time+effort (and to even pick something you can use that maybe not epic, but still pays for the repair bill and time).
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes. They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."
    Blizzard's blame game in action: Deleting 6,100+ of Kevyne's posts and threads from the WoW forums.

Honestly, I wish the devs would add something that does the opposite of dimishing returns (or the same depending on how you word it) when it comes to RNG on loot. Basically bring back to "+bonus" part of rolling that adds up the longer you go without winning something. That way the "statistical minority" that have long, long periods without good drops while others suddenly gear up an alt in two weeks will be reward for repeatedly trying.
    Praise the Quest Writers for they give life to otherwise boring expansions.

Well if it makes you feel any better, none of my toons have EVER gotten a piece of tier loot to drop off any of the pvp / world bosses.

Nothing from Tol'Barad, nothing from Wintergrasp, and now nothing so far off Sha.

My coins have all been gold too, save one that I got a ring I already had.

I agree, every time I go in LFR theres always one guy saying that in 7 weeks or something he's gotten 0 loot even with tokens

I get loot, although the loot I want the most (Weps/Trinkets) eludes me........... but I do think that's really messed up that some people have gotten no loot

My proposed idea is put a 25% chance for a roll coin inside every bag of "riches" so that repeated running with no loot does up their chances

The Lightbringer Kevyne-Shandris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geekissexy View Post
    Well if it makes you feel any better, none of my toons have EVER gotten a piece of tier loot to drop off any of the pvp / world bosses.

Nothing from Tol'Barad, nothing from Wintergrasp, and now nothing so far off Sha.

My coins have all been gold too, save one that I got a ring I already had.
    That's like me trying to get a shield.

In WotLK it took 3 months of raids (19 weeks to be precise) to even see a shield to roll on.

That experience showed me that RNG in WoW is not good for the game. There's some reasonable expectation that the gear you need will drop. Sometimes you will have to wait over a month, but not seeing an item even drop before another tier...that's obscene.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes. They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."
    Blizzard's blame game in action: Deleting 6,100+ of Kevyne's posts and threads from the WoW forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post

That experience showed me that RNG in WoW is not good for the game. There's some reasonable expectation that the gear you need will drop. Sometimes you will have to wait over a month, but not seeing an item even drop before another tier...that's obscene.
    I can top that: 1 year in MC and our shammy never had his headpiece drop. At least they added tokens afterwards..and badges of Justice / VPs to allow you and buy some peieces.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Belhaven View Post
    Welcome to World of Warcraft! Enjoy your stay!
    Pretty much this. Just because you are having rotten luck is no reason to blame the system. The distribution of loot has been like this for a while. For my it's cyclical. There will be a span where I get nothing to drop and win 0 rolls, then there will be a stretch where everything I want drops and I win everthing I need. Luck is luck and not something you can really complain about.

I know. But I feel like the bonus loot coins have made it even more random than it used to be before. And the world bosses haven't been very generous with me either so far...
    I've pretty much given up on using coins in raids or hoping for loot in LFR. I do LFR for the VP. I did get tier gloves off Sha in week one though so I shouldn't complain too much, although I do of course