Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Desareon View Post
    -I said I did a quick google search and posted the top 8 links, whats not to get?
    -Alternative media is untrustworthy, but government funded programming is?
    -As for posting papers, printer doesn't exactly work atm.
    Thanks Sir. I'm going to bad feeling like a genius today.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Someudontno View Post
    I know of a few people who think that shots administered by the government have these special things in it that further enslave us (obviously wrong, but I guess some think that). Yes, they're tinfoil hat people.

Also, I've never acquired an illness because I didn't get a particular shot for it. In fact, the H1N1 shot made me miserable a couple of days after I got it.
    Say for a figure of speech

You get up everyday at 6am have breakfast
    drive to work
    sit in traffic
    spent 6-8 hrs behind a desk
    drive home
    sit in traffic
    have a tv dinner
    watch some tv
    have a shower
    goto bed
    rinse and repeat for the next 50years yeah your not enslaved
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    It's like you think you can punch a virus in its stupid face.
    I am DEATH, of course I can.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

10+ Year Old Account
    Reading this entire thread makes me feel as though I should go get a flu shot. 0.0

Quote Originally Posted by dupti View Post
    Something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
    Reading this entire thread makes me feel as though I should go get a flu shot. 0.0
    Just call your doctor and ask if he/she thinks you should get it. I've never asked mine, but that's because I know for a fact that my immune defense system is actively trying to fuck me over :P
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    Just call your doctor and ask if he/she thinks you should get it. I've never asked mine, but that's because I know for a fact that my immune defense system is actively trying to fuck me over :P
    I'm actually going for a yearly checkup on Monday, so there is no need for me to call.

Something.

Snipped
    I am not going to address much if anything of your reply, as at this point it is pointless. However I do want to point out that you are speaking in just as strong a words as you claim I am, you say there is no work counter to the popular thought, when clearly, with unvaccination being as popular as it is, there is something to it. To just wave it off completely is bad science, as there are always two sides to a coin.

So as I have been saying this entire time, no one person is right. Your opinion can be just as valid as mine, since I do not know the exact research you have done and you do not know the exact research I have done. And since we are both anonymous on the internet there has to be a bit of salt taken with our comments here. But with that said, what this conversation should at least point out to people is not that vaccines are or are not bad/good, or that they are useful or useless. But instead that personal research, using published scientific papers made by legitimate scientists relevant in the field in question, is crucial in making our own personal choices in this risk/reward scenario. You use anthrax as an example, and it is a deadly substance, there is no question about that, but people run more into measles and mumps on a day to day basis then they do anthrax, so although the point is seen, and understood, there is a broader topic here then just specific diseases, and it is our duty as an individual to make our decisions, right or wrong, for ourselves and those under our care.

I challenge anyone reading this, not to take one side or the other seriously without doing your own thorough research to see the full picture, with many sources from both sides, and everywhere in the middle, and make a calculated decision of whether it is worth the risks it presents or it is not worth the risks it presents.

At the end of the day we are held accountable not for the actions of our neighbors, but ours. We need to take responsibility in our own hands instead of just blindly relying on a third party to do it for us. And I am sorry that my taking my responsibility as my own means I disagree, but then I am accountable for the events that follow my choices, you are not. I stand confident in my decisions and to this day am unwavering in my choices. Will the day come I lament not giving myself or my kids vaccines? I do not know, perhaps, and perhaps not, there is much we do not know in this world, and there is much we cannot anticipate. So in the end of my side of things, I leave you this kind of cheesy quote used in a lot of things...

Stand for something, or you will fall for anything

Do your research people, and stand strong by it.

I'm actually going for a yearly checkup on Monday, so there is no need for me to call.
    I'd bet he'll tell you it's discretionary... mostly because it is. It's generally recommended for people that are going to be around children, the elderly, and the immunocompromised. Some would say it's best for everyone to get it. Personally, I'm fairly sloppy about it; if someone says, "hey let's go get our flu shots", I go. If no one does... I don't usually get around to it. Most people won't ever notice the difference.

---------- Post added 2012-11-11 at 02:19 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by lordsgamer315 View Post
    I am not going to address much if anything of your reply, as at this point it is pointless. However I do want to point out that you are speaking in just as strong a words as you claim I am, you say there is no work counter to the popular thought, when clearly, with unvaccination being as popular as it is, there is something to it. To just wave it off completely is bad science, as there are always two sides to a coin..
    Did you really just make an argument from popularity?

Yeah, I'm done. Your position is completely evidence free. This whole, "no one person is right" is complete and utter bullshit. You're wrong, and your entire argument is excuses for ignoring evidence.
    Last edited by Spectral; 2012-11-11 at 07:19 AM.

I hate the fuck out of needles. It's not the pain, it's the fact that it's a needle and it's in me and that is ridiculously creepy and I hate the fuck out of it. But, I usually get the shot anyway - I don't like needles, but I dislike having to skip two weeks of work even more.

10+ Year Old Account
    A million smokers can't be wrong!

Deleted
    I get a flu shot every year because I'm diabetic.

I'm not afraid of it, I just get it done every year. Maybe it helps, maybe it doesn't.

Like somebody said, it's quite easy to avoid it. Washing hands is one big thing that can help. Ofcourse if others don't wash their hands at work, well, that's a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    You act like personal experience is an adequate alternative for scientific research.
    When my personal experience directly opposes the scientific research, I think the scientists have more work to do before they can make a definitive statement about the effectiveness of the flu shot.

Now the polio vaccine, if we wanna go there, you've got definitive proof that works.

Quote Originally Posted by reikoshea View Post
    When my personal experience directly opposes the scientific research, I think the scientists have more work to do before they can make a definitive statement about the effectiveness of the flu shot.
    This is the kind of thing that results in me not being quite sure that everyone being able to vote is a good idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    See, with me lord, I'm not about to do my own research, because I'm not an expert, I will however, believe whatever the hell the general consensus between the experts is, because they know better than I do, and so I should listen to them. I really don't see how you see it to be responsible to increase your risk and possibly threaten the safety of your children just because you think that all the experts are hiding something and actually want to see you die.

What age do you mean by children, Spectral?

Something.

What age do you mean by children, Spectral?
    I'm not totally sure. This is where we hit the "ask your doctor" phase

I do immunology at a more basic level, but I'm not a medical professional.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by reikoshea View Post

Now the polio vaccine, if we wanna go there, you've got definitive proof that works.
    Anecdotal evidence is relatively useless in the face of peer-reviewed research. And, of course it's not going to cover everybody, but to say that you shouldn't get vaccinated is to say that you know better than the experts who have poured their lives into their studies.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    A million smokers can't be wrong!
    Yeah, you gotta love arguments from popularity.

It seems a safe bet that there are more idiots out there, than experts.
    Golly... Let's listen to the idiots. They don't have arguments, evidence or tested results. But they have numbers!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not totally sure. This is where we hit the "ask your doctor" phase

I do immunology at a more basic level, but I'm not a medical professional.
    I see, I guess I will have to do that then.

Something.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LazyJones View Post
    Yeah, you gotta love arguments from popularity.

It seems a safe bet that there are more idiots out there, than experts.
    Golly... Let's listen to the idiots. They don't have arguments, evidence or tested results. But they have numbers!
    Hell, I think there's a good movie script in that...
    The FINAL film in the Resident Evil series, perhaps:

A handful of survivors fighting for their lives in a world overrun with zombies... Until they realize that the zombies are right, becuase of their numbers.

Deleted
    I'll go ahead and assume that you're not a feeble old man/woman, and that you're from the US. It is completely beyond me why it's common for young people in the US to get shots for the flu when they are perfectly capable of surviving a possible infection. In Denmark only old people and otherwise unhealthy people get these kind of vaccines. My sister is 21 and is currently studying in the US and has been for the past 4 months, she has been suggested several times by the on campus nurse or w/e that she should get a shot, or a pill or w/e to fight a common disease, it baffles my mind.