Thread: RBG Comp ?

RBG Comp ?

I have been playing around with a bunch of different comps but I want to try and find the perfect one. Any suggestion which works out for you guys ? So far best i've had the pleasure of playing with is like this:

1. Prot War
    2. Spriest
    3. Frost Mage
    4. Frost Mage or Ele Sham
    5. Destro Lock
    6. Destro Lock or BM Hunter
    7. Resto Sham
    8. Holy Pal
    9. MW Monk
    10. Frost DK

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zedeadmau5 View Post
    I have been playing around with a bunch of different comps but I want to try and find the perfect one. Any suggestion which works out for you guys ? So far best i've had the pleasure of playing with is like this:

1. Prot War
    2. Spriest
    3. Frost Mage
    4. Frost Mage or Ele Sham
    5. Destro Lock
    6. Destro Lock or BM Hunter
    7. Resto Sham
    8. Holy Pal
    9. MW Monk
    10. Frost DK
    That's pretty much just the spell cleaves from last season, spare that the locks are destro instead of affliction now. It still works well. I wouldn't call it the perfect comp though, there are a lot of comps that work well nowadays - the biggest change to RBGs was that the nerf to dots in MoP made non-dot class stacking comps equal or better than the dot-comps of yesteryear.

Melee often have higher effective cleave damage in an RBG and so higher pressure, while high burst but low pressure ranged classes often compliment hard swaps better than dot classes. They always did, but multi-dotting isnt what it used to be - so being stronger on the swap is a better strength than having higher pressure: making destro locks, frost mages and hunters often more valuable now than spriests, aff locks and boomkins (but then spriests are still valuable still for their offensive and defensive dispels for setting up and completing swaps).
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    That's pretty much just the spell cleaves from last season, spare that the locks are destro instead of affliction now. It still works well. I wouldn't call it the perfect comp though, there are a lot of comps that work well nowadays - the biggest change to RBGs was that the nerf to dots in MoP made non-dot class stacking comps equal or better than the dot-comps of yesteryear.

Melee often have higher effective cleave damage in an RBG and so higher pressure, while high burst but low pressure ranged classes often compliment hard swaps better than dot classes. They always did, but multi-dotting isnt what it used to be - so being stronger on the swap is a better strength than having higher pressure: making destro locks, frost mages and hunters often more valuable now than spriests, aff locks and boomkins (but then spriests are still valuable still for their offensive and defensive dispels for setting up and completing swaps).
    So your suggestion would be to try possibly a melee cleave or balance it out evenly with spell cleave+melee cleave?

Say what are you serious???

15+ Year Old Account
    So your suggestion would be to try possibly a melee cleave or balance it out evenly with spell cleave+melee cleave?
    Sorry I wasn't more clear originally. I'm saying that while last season I would agree that a Perfect comp could be outlined (and it would be a dot-comp very similar to what you originally listed), this season I don't think it is as cut and dry as all that. I don't think we really have a perfect comp anymore, some of the very top european rbg team are very melee heavy, caster comps are still very popular though - and the two rbg teams I've played with this season so far both prefer a balanced mix of casters / melee.

The only real rule for RBGs it seems everyone decided on this season is that you don't bring rogues (though I fought reckful's team on sunday and they had a rogue with them, who was running the flag oddly enough - they swapped once she had got it back to their base, but for crossing mid-field it was fairly effective). She was the first rogue I've seen though on either side.

Edit: Just to be clear, I feel sorry for rogues and I don't think they are as bad as people claim - but when the choice is between something clearly better (but not necessarily better by a great margin) people never want to be stuck with the inferior options when they have a choice: that's probably to their detriment more often than not as well, because taking any dk or warrior over a great rogue is still the wrong call IMO.
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2012-11-13 at 09:38 AM.

Ya as said above it can really go any way, it seems like now its easier to say which classes u dont want rather than what u do want, i think the only needs are really a fdk and destro, with those u can really just mix and match, but i do feel with how much pvp power outweighs resil, a burstier comp is better, whether it be fdk x2 destro x2 war x2 etc( and in that case a rogue might be ideal for the bomb) i do think u gotta mix and match casters vs melee, at this moment i think 3x3 is pretty good

Somethig im more concerned about is it looks like strats r changing, i never sat fc mid with team but i see a lot doing that

Uh...of course burst comps are better. Slow dots slowly killing everything are kinda easy to counter.

And yeah, it's better to sit mid right by a graveyard than to camp your base 20 seconds away from one in case someone dies. This strat has been used since RBGs started, have you never played above 1500?

Ya slow dots r easy to counter thats y everyone ran it last season...
    i realize its a new season and thats y i was saying pvp power outweighs resil, considering there was no pvp power before, making burst cleaves optimal now, which was the initial question.
    And yes, i have, during season 9 i was 2600(and i actually lost points for losses unlike others) played at 2700mmr and led the #2 team on cyclone bg, and i never used that strat and dont really remember other teams using it(but i was fc so maybe if they did i just didn't see)
    Last edited by Sluggo; 2012-11-13 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zues View Post
    Uh...of course burst comps are better. Slow dots slowly killing everything are kinda easy to counter.

And yeah, it's better to sit mid right by a graveyard than to camp your base 20 seconds away from one in case someone dies. This strat has been used since RBGs started, have you never played above 1500?
    I am currently 2k rated. The strat isn't the problem its just I am trying to figure out what would be the right classes/specs to bring in terms of maximizing CC and damage output.

---------- Post added 2012-11-13 at 07:51 PM ----------

At Yvaelle: Thanks for the input and as for the bit about rogues I feel that the rogue teams I have faced they were quite annoying and basically used as a utility class rather then pure damage output. Although I have to agree a good rogue can lock down a healer much better then other classes.

The perfect comp doesn't matter in terms of class, it matters in the synergy of the players and how well they perform together. Yeah, class helps, but i'd rather have a BM/arms combo that have played from 1800 to 2400 together than a random 2200 mage and a random 2300 warlock.

15+ Year Old Account
    At Yvaelle: Thanks for the input and as for the bit about rogues I feel that the rogue teams I have faced they were quite annoying and basically used as a utility class rather then pure damage output. Although I have to agree a good rogue can lock down a healer much better then other classes.
    Warriors until Gag Order gets nerfed are far and away the best at locking down healers, there is never a time they aren't silenced or stunned. Windwalkers also have 2 stuns, a blanket silence on their kick, and paralysis - but are slightly harder to wield effectively (and 2 stuns doesnt compare to warriors having like 10, but paralysis is pretty great).

The best use for rogues imo is picking the enemy teams top damage and cleaving nerve strikes on them, 4 or 6 second stun followed by 6 seconds of half damage is pretty great.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    Warriors until Gag Order gets nerfed are far and away the best at locking down healers, there is never a time they aren't silenced or stunned. Windwalkers also have 2 stuns, a blanket silence on their kick, and paralysis - but are slightly harder to wield effectively (and 2 stuns doesnt compare to warriors having like 10, but paralysis is pretty great).

The best use for rogues imo is picking the enemy teams top damage and cleaving nerve strikes on them, 4 or 6 second stun followed by 6 seconds of half damage is pretty great.
    Totally agree =)