Page 3 of 59 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    The President writes the budget.
    He proposes it. Congress actually writes and approves it.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're insane. Texas is the second biggest economy in the Union and the biggest economy that isn't going bankrupt. They're a technology giant in the world. I propose we just get rid of Alabama. Sell it to Mexico or some shit for laughs.
    And yet it still pulls more from the Fed than it gives back. Unlike California.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    The 10th Amendment has very rarely cropped up in terms of Federal rulings, because by and large the federal governments actions tend to be in line with its enumerated or implied powers. As regards secession, the Founders stated that the Union is 'perpetual'; implying one-way.

Because a far reaching government is an effective government. I'm a history major, and am all too aware of the failings of a government too hampered in its abilities.
    The 10th Amendment rarely crops up because the SCOTUS has been operating on a broad interpretation of the General Welfare Clause.

That's something States' Rights activists disagree with.

In fact, that's something SCOTUS disagreed with up until FDR threatened to undermine the entire Court.

Yes, a recovering economy and strides forward in social issues are definitely major pointers towards a coming dooms day. Troll.

The amount of people signing this position are...just, SO minimal. I would love to see them leave and try to find a better country. Let's put it this way: the people signing this petition are the same as the whiners and constant haters of WoW, a tiny, yet vocal, fraction of the whole.

Look to our previous president for most of our current worries. We are recovering, but it is a slow process. Obama was maybe not as experienced a candidate as we could've had, and maybe too much of an idealist, but I'd take him over goddamn Romney. Focusing on religious topics and 100% opposed to raising taxes at a time where we're practically in a recession. Christ.
    Once you go troll, you never reroll. -heard on cynicalbrit.com. Epic.

10+ Year Old Account
    The 10th Amendment rarely crops up because the SCOTUS has been operating on a broad interpretation of the General Welfare Clause.

That's something States' Rights activists disagree with.

In fact, that's something SCOTUS disagreed with up until FDR threatened to undermine the entire Court.
    And those States' Rights activists can, to use some colourful language, go f**k themselves. Strict federalism hampers the country more than it aids it. Even Jefferson opted for a broad interpretation of the Constitution when he made the Louisiana Purchase.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

People that think that texas is better off alone are either ignorant or stupid - but most likely both.

a sum of the part n all that yadayadayada

And yet it still pulls more from the Fed than it gives back. Unlike California.
    Perhaps that's true of most Southern states, but you might want to fact-check yourself before claiming that about Texas.

10+ Year Old Account
    The 10th Amendment has very rarely cropped up in terms of Federal rulings, because by and large the federal governments actions tend to be in line with its enumerated or implied powers. As regards secession, the Founders stated that the Union is 'perpetual'; implying one-way.

Because a far reaching government is an effective government. I'm a history major, and am all too aware of the failings of a government too hampered in its abilities.
    History major isn't required to understand history. Yes, one of the greatest examples of a failed decentralized government would be the Confederate States. Their monetary system and trade was abhorrent, and one of many reasons of their defeat. But there's is a middle ground between that system and our current system. You have to admit that currently, our government has grown far beyond it's intended borders. I can admit in some circumstances, it has been a necessity.

10+ Year Old Account
    So it's fund neutral. Big deal; it's not particularly an asset save its oil.

And those States' Rights activists can, to use some colourful language, go f**k themselves. Strict federalism hampers the country more than it aids it. Even Jefferson opted for a broad interpretation of the Constitution when he made the Louisiana Purchase.
    I'm sure States' Rights activists would say the same for you.

We may be one country, but assuming the Federal government knows what's best for everyone when we're FAR from all the same culture is a huge mistake.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh shit, a couple thousand crazy people are doing something crazy! Shit's gonna hit the fan! Call in the Marines! It's civil war 2!
    When survival is the goal, it's into the spider hole!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vastx View Post
    History major isn't required to understand history. Yes, one of the greatest examples of a failed decentralized government would be the Confederate States. Their monetary system and trade was abhorrent, and one of many reasons of their defeat. But there's is a middle ground between that system and our current system. You have to admit that currently, our government has grown far beyond it's intended borders. I can admit in some circumstances, it has been a necessity.
    Intended? Perhaps. Necessary? No. The government that the Founders intended proved incapable of responding to a number of crises, hence the shift to more centralised government power.

10+ Year Old Account
    People are quick to blame obama/ bush for the failed economy problem for the last few years, but forget that the rest of the world are suffering the exact same problem -.-

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alasuya View Post
    http://www.google.com/publicdata/exp...oyment+rate+us
    Unemployment rate is improving at least.
    So I don't think the US is going downhill.

For now.
    Maybe you should also take a look at the US debt and reconsider.

So it's fund neutral. Big deal; it's not particularly an asset save its oil.
    That's like saying "New York isn't particularly an asset save its commercial sector" or "California isn't an asset save it's technology sector".

It's ignoring the facts that are sitting in front of your face.

Besides that, Texas is a tremendous technical hub in this country, second only to California (Though many California tech companies and startups are moving to Texas).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    US debt is a non-issue. The holders aren't going to call it in (not that they are able to anyway), and there are a number of solutions open to resolve it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haao View Post
    This. The US has seen better days, but by no means do I think it's falling apart. Also if these people want to leave, they're free to pick up shop and immigrate to a place more in-line with their views/standards.
    Just don't send them to Canada, we have enough trouble already with illegal immigrants invading our southern borders and taking our jobs. lol naw just kidding with that first part. But yeah don't send the crazy people up here please.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's like saying "New York isn't particularly an asset save its commercial sector" or "California isn't an asset save it's technology sector".

It's ignoring the facts that are sitting in front of your face.

Besides that, Texas is a tremendous technical hub in this country, second only to California (Though many California tech companies and startups are moving to Texas).
    No it isn't equivocable; because oil is a natural resource. It doesn't matter who lives on the land.

Surprising, giving that the Texan government is slashing its education budgets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    Our debt as a percentage of GDP is large but manageable. It isn't even at a historic high right now. I don't understand why people just look at the number. It's meaningless out of context.
    When survival is the goal, it's into the spider hole!