Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SooFaded View Post
    I'm talking about creative writing, as in making shit up and writing it down in story form. Not being able to form a coherent sentence.
    Trust me, the ability to make shit up and write it down in story form is an important career skill.

Deleted
    The lower in the educational system you are, the more general education you will be subjected to. The higher, the more specific. In general.

At grade 0 or 1, they teach you to sit in a chair during class and put up your hand if you want to say something. In a master's degree or in a technical education, they teach you about astro-physics or how to cook and about different foods f.ex. (I don't know, but I guess for a candidate in science and chef).

Kind of just taking the good with the bad. When one gets out of compulsory, you will be able to specialize more then more and more. The reason there is both intellectual, practical and creative subjects in most country's basic school system. People want to educate their kids and coming adults generally at first, then they can specialize when they know more about different subjects and about themselves and others. People want kids to have a solid foundation in different areas.

Deleted
    What the hell is she basing her grading on?
    if its like my teacher back then said, on the structure of the story, the way you write, if its grammaticaly correct, etc.
    but i guess it can be influenced by the liking if the teacher.

i had to write a story and had to include several quotes. it was a nice story, but really brutal an psycic disturbing, still full points.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeshiro View Post
    This is like the worst comparison ever. Any sport requires you to be fit and healthy if you even want a chance of winning.
    Yeah, that's nothing like requiring students to stimulate the parts of their brain responsible for creativity. Completely different, and not analogous in any way. Great point!

Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    I think it's just fine and everyone student should be creative.

I mean, school wants you to be creative because of your future. You can't expect to do well in a job if you always think the same way and do the same thing over and over and over again.

Being creative also develops your mind pretty well.
    Apparently you aren't an auto mechanic as that is all you do...same shit different day!

But on a serious note, being creative is different for each person, some write, draw, perform better than others. Just because you have issues with writing doesn't mean you will be good at something, just find your little niche.

To me the public school system tries to make you a jack of all trades so you can have a variety of skills for developing in the future instead of having to waste time and money later on to get good at a certain skill set.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrno View Post
    HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD it right there son,

pretty much all jobs require you to think of creative solutions.
    Creative problem solving is indeed important. Creative writing isn't the same thing.

Being able to think outside the box is a favorable quality.

Besides. You may as well ask why they force students to learn half of what they learn, when they may not end up using it in their choice of career. Schools teach a broad amount of subjects early on because people don't necessarily know what they want to do, and by exposing students to a wide variety of subjects, they can make a decision.
    Last edited by StationaryHawk; 2012-11-12 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    It stimulates your brain, and that's good.
    Well all it does is make me frustrated, so it clearly doesn't work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Point is to expose people to different educational elements so that maybe people will realize that is what they want to do later in life. You can only find the thing you love in the world if you discover it. Just because it isn't your tempo in grade school doesn't make it irrelevant. Now, I can see a better argument if you were talking solely about college, which should be more specialized towards your interests, and you choose your electives anyway.
    I consider myself a creative person, and I think everyone can be creative in their own way, it just doesn't mean you can put thoughts on paper or necessarily have to, to see your idea come to fruition.

Quote Originally Posted by stockishgsr View Post
    To me the public school system tries to make you a jack of all trades so you can have a variety of skills for developing in the future instead of having to waste time and money later on to get good at a certain skill set.
    This is because children have no real idea what they're going to want to do later. Once people are high school age, it's fine to start letting them move in the direction of specialization, but it's a pretty bad idea any earlier than that.

10+ Year Old Account
    A cornfield by a raceway with a tornado flying through (Indiana)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Writing is one of the three or four most important skills in every single professional line of work that exists. Stop complaining and get better at it.
    I have to agree with this. The ability to write is intrinsically tied from everything to your ability to convey ideas to people you can't meet in person, to coming up with solutions to problems you aren't used to dealing with that will still come up, to basic survival skills. If you aren't very creative and don't intend to be in your career at all, chances are whatever job you are thinking of doing will be one that a robot or computer can be programmed to do automatically, if they aren't already.
    Light or darkness...which are you blinded by?

Quote Originally Posted by Kenai View Post
    I have to agree with this. The ability to write is intrinsically tied from everything to your ability to convey ideas to people you can't meet in person, to coming up with solutions to problems you aren't used to dealing with that will still come up, to basic survival skills. If you aren't very creative and don't intend to be in your career at all, chances are whatever job you are thinking of doing will be one that a robot or computer can be programmed to do automatically, if they aren't already.
    Bull shit sir. You could be an orator on the caliber of Hitler, and not even know how to spell your own name.

Idk where you are pulling this basic surviving skill stuff from...sounds like you are doing some creative writing of your own, lol.
    Being just a bit fast and loose with the truth to exaggerate the importance of a useless skill.

Next you will discuss how cursive was responsible for the formation of the US.

I'm going to keep this short and sweet. Please explain to me why are kids forced to be creative in school? Not everyone is bursting with creativity, and they should not be penalized because of that. Few careers actually require you to be creative. Art class should not be a required course in school. Thankfully for me, it is not anymore. But one thing that I really have a problem with is creative writing. Oh, creative writing. Back in 7th and 8th grade, I was required to write 4 stories per year in my English class. And I'm talking 7-10 page typed stories. And why did I have to do that? I don't want to be no goddamned author. And who is my teacher to say which story deserved a good grade and which ones didn't? What the hell is she basing her grading on? And now, years later, I'm sitting here frustrated again. Assigned a story to write in my English class. And not just any story; a very specific type of story, which just makes it that much harder. Furthermore, I have zero creativity. None. I can't even think of a name for my fucking main character. I was supposed to write a draft of said story over the weekend, which I did not do. Instead, I sat and stared at a blank piece of paper for (not exaggerating) 45 minutes before I gave up and took the 0 (which brought my grade down from an A to a B). This is absurd. Total fucking bullshit. Tell me why this is required. Please.
    It is required because some old bitch needs a job, and our education system sucks ass. Rehashed and regurgitated BS over and over.

If you think its bad in high school, just wait!

When you get to college you get to take all that same shit all over again! Not only will you learn absolutely nothing from your general education courses, but you will go in debt potentially tens of thousands of dollars doing it! Isn't that just fucking AWESOME?

And when you get your degree and you think back and you realize that absolutely nothing outside of your major was useful. Fuck me that is a nice feeling.... Sometimes, I just look at my monthly loan notice and cry.
    Last edited by Obamatheone; 2012-11-12 at 11:30 PM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Writing is one of the three or four most important skills in every single professional line of work that exists. Stop complaining and get better at it.
    Writing, but not creative writing. Creative writing is pointless for every career but a writer, writing is important.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to keep this short and sweet. Please explain to me why are kids forced to be creative in school?
    You're not. Public schools are seriously some of the least creative places on the planet. You are required to do work for your grade.

Few careers actually require you to be creative.
    Wrong. Few JOBS require creativity, but most careers, that is, things other than flipping burgers that you will do for a good portion of your life, require lots of creativity, even burger-flipping requires you to at least have a brain to be able to troubleshoot problems should they arise.

Art class should not be a required course in school.
    Yes, it should. There's more to this world than math and science, art, music, literature, these things create our culture.

I was required to write 4 stories per year in my English class. And I'm talking 7-10 page typed stories. And why did I have to do that? I don't want to be no goddamned author. And who is my teacher to say which story deserved a good grade and which ones didn't? What the hell is she basing her grading on?
    Generally speaking, they grade your stories on grammar, spelling, and how interesting it is.

And now, years later, I'm sitting here frustrated again. Assigned a story to write in my English class. And not just any story; a very specific type of story, which just makes it that much harder. Furthermore, I have zero creativity. None. I can't even think of a name for my fucking main character. I was supposed to write a draft of said story over the weekend, which I did not do. Instead, I sat and stared at a blank piece of paper for (not exaggerating) 45 minutes before I gave up and took the 0 (which brought my grade down from an A to a B). This is absurd. Total fucking bullshit. Tell me why this is required. Please.
    No, what's bullshit is how much of a whiny twit you are.

Infracted
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2012-11-12 at 11:51 PM.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    Well all it does is make me frustrated, so it clearly doesn't work.
    You shouldn't feel frustated.

It's creative, it means you think of something, anything and just type it on the paper, it just needs an introduction, development and a conclusion, but it should be rather "easy" to do so, I think. I do understand why you hate it though, some friends also hated doing that.

Also, we could literally troll in our works if it wasn't a test or something! So you can always make something fun if your teacher lets you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenai View Post
    Again, creative problem solving and creative writing are not the same thing. Writing is indeed very important. The specific type of writing he is talking about is not. Now if you have some research showing creative writing is the best way to develop creative problem solving skills, I'm all ears. Pretty sure it isn't though. Creative problem solving is about analyzing a situation and thinking of different approaches. Creative writing is about making up the starting situation and carrying on from there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Artravus View Post
    Writing, but not creative writing. Creative writing is pointless for every career but a writer, writing is important.
    I disagree. I had to flex my creative writing skills once I became a manager. Trust me, getting to the point and saying it straight is not favorable to most upper level management. They want a story.
    Playing
    WildStar -Mechari Medic, Draken Stalker
    Diablo: RoS
    GW2 - Ranger

10+ Year Old Account
    Trust me, the ability to make shit up and write it down in story form is an important career skill.
    You mean lying. It's important to know how to lie.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeshiro View Post
    This is like the worst comparison ever. Any sport requires you to be fit and healthy if you even want a chance of winning.
    And any job that takes half a brain that you want to be successful at requires you to be smart, creative and able to think outside the box

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    And any job that takes half a brain that you want to be successful at requires you to be smart, creative and able to think outside the box
    Nope. People like to think that, but that isn't the truth.