Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I don't know that "thin privilege" could even mean anything useful; among other problems, it relies on the assumption that the individual in question wasn't ever fat.
    Everyone knows that fat people can't help being fat. There's just a whole world out there discriminating against them for something they were born with and is completely and every way imaginable outside their control.

Myself, I've accumulated some extra poundage as of late I don't care for. I suppose I could curse god and cry over the unfairness of it all, or I could do the completely unreasonable thing of putting effort into losing it.

Oh decisions.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

Quote Originally Posted by Silhouette of Seraphim View Post
    Myself, I've accumulated some extra poundage as of late I don't care for. I suppose I could curse god and cry over the unfairness of it all, or I could do the completely unreasonable thing of putting effort into losing it.
    Yeah, I've hit that fork a couple times. When I was around 17, I was getting towards the chubby side and had to make a concerted effort to pare my weight back. When I was finishing grad school, my thesis kicked the crap out of me and I wasn't really working out or eating right, so I tacked weight on. It happens, to most people. The idea that someone can have "thin privilege" pretty much relies on the idea that people are just intrinsically thin and have never had to put forth effort, have never felt insecurity about their weight or fitness level, and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    There's a brilliant picture that shows Olympians of all shapes and sizes. These are men and women who are the best of the best; at their peak condition. Yet if you saw some of them walking down the street, you'd call them fat. But they're probably far fitter than you.
    Please, don't bring professional sport, especially Olympics into this. Most likely they're exactly "fat", or even "obese" because their particular sport demands that. Are sumo champions "fit"? Not a chance in hell. It is well known that there's ton of different professional health disorders in each sport because you literally break natural order of you body to fit rules of some specific game. Being good at professional sport =/= healthy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    I have an issue with:

fat people when they sit next to me at cinemas and sit on my chair.
    when they pay the same air faire as me, or god help, sit next to me on the plane - endangering my life if I need to get out in an emergency.
    when they push up my medical insurance,
    when they whine about being discriminated against or mocked. You're lazy, and you're unattractive to me - deal with it.

Other than that... do I "hate" someone for being fat? No, of course not, but I personally appreciate honesty from people.
    People that don't say anything or make excuses for you don't give a damn about you.

I am currently over-weight by about 5kg and my g/f is poking fun at me - so what do I do?
    I cut down on carbs. I eat healthier. I get on a rowing machine and take care of it.
    Why? Because I don't want her to leave me for being an unattractive fat slob.

You know what I notice when I exercise and eat healthier? I feel better.

The poster above me is right: This world's political correctness movement is getting out of hand. Tolerance for stupid beliefs and customs, special privileges are unacceptable in a modern society. It restricts our freedoms and pushes us towards a fascist society.
    Should I list what I have an issue with, then go on a tangent on how I expect other people to tailor themselves so that they won't annoy very significant little old me?

Get your head out of your ass.

Deleted
    It's tumblr what do you expect?

That place is full of social justice morons hiding their snobbish arrogence behind a wall of "caring" and "Freedom"

Take White Male Privilege for example. I come from a poor white background, does this mean I have a natural privilege over say.. a rich Asian or rich black man?

There's a brilliant picture that shows Olympians of all shapes and sizes. These are men and women who are the best of the best; at their peak condition. Yet if you saw some of them walking down the street, you'd call them fat. But they're probably far fitter than you.
    I suppose this depends on what your definition of "fit" is. I'd say the most baseline definition is, "Is your physical state of being likely to extend or shorten your life?". By the numbers, my current physical state gives me a pretty good life expectancy; the same is not true for a massive powerlifter. My next criterion for fitness would be the ability to complete short to medium length physical activities that work muscular and cardiovascular systems, such as running, cycling, playing basketball, swimming, etc. I think it's unlikely that there's a lot of people that look fat that are actually "far fitter" than me.

If your definition of "fit" is "good at one specialized activity", then I guess I'll have to disagree.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    There is a movement in certain sectors to stop fat "discrimination". Whilst I can sympathize with the feeling of being bullied or discriminated against, some of them just go a little off focus.

Yes, discriminating against fat people for being fat is wrong. Is telling a fat person to stop drinking energy drinks because they'll end up with diabetes wrong? We have no qualms with telling smokers to stop smoking, drinkers to stop drinking. Why is it that health concerns from other people, outside of the immediate family, must come from a bad place?

Honestly the issue with fat discrimination has more to do with self image than real, hard discrimination.
    Actually, I'm definitely going to discriminate against fat people in certain circumstances for being fat. Example: Fat individuals are usually worse at sports (depends on how fat they are), and if I'm playing at a semi-competetive level I'm certainly not going to vote to pick them for the team.

Deleted
    I suppose this depends on what your definition of "fit" is. I'd say the most baseline definition is, "Is your physical state of being likely to extend or shorten your life?". By the numbers, my current physical state gives me a pretty good life expectancy; the same is not true for a massive powerlifter. My next criterion for fitness would be the ability to complete short to medium length physical activities that work muscular and cardiovascular systems, such as running, cycling, playing basketball, swimming, etc. I think it's unlikely that there's a lot of people that look fat that are actually "far fitter" than me.

If your definition of "fit" is "good at one specialized activity", then I guess I'll have to disagree.
    Here's a fun mental exercise: Try not to judge others based on YOUR beliefs. A sumo wrestler is fit for what he wants to accomplish; because that's what fit means. It doesn't mean you've got a six-pack, it means you've got the desired whatever to do the desired whatever.

Deleted
    I think it's unlikely that there's a lot of people that look fat that are actually "far fitter" than me.
    The guy stinks of not actually seeing sports besides American football anyway. Runners, swimmers, tennis players, high jumpers, hurdles, weight lifters are ALL exceptionally fit and yes, healthy people. Pushing your body to the peak it can reach does not make you fat, nor does it make you unhealthy.

True, Eventually runners begin to have leg problems more and so on, but thats not because they're unhealthy, it's mostly because their bodies are wearing down like all of ours does.

No Sports super star looks fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kezool View Post
    Here's a fun mental exercise: Try not to judge others based on YOUR beliefs. A sumo wrestler is fit for what he wants to accomplish; because that's what fit means. It doesn't mean you've got a six-pack, it means you've got the desired whatever to do the desired whatever.
    Right, a guy that has greatly elevated risk of heart diseases that is unlikely to be able to run 200 meters consecutively is actually pretty fit. My bad, I'm such a judgmental asshole. Let's grant for a moment that sumo wrestlers are "fit". Most people that are the size of sumo wrestlers are not athletes.

Deleted
    Right, a guy that has greatly elevated risk of heart diseases that is unlikely to be able to run 200 meters consecutively is actually pretty fit. My bad, I'm such a judgmental asshole. Let's grant for a moment that sumo wrestlers are "fit". Most people that are the size of sumo wrestlers are not athletes.
    Let us remember than Sumo wrestlers are not exactly unfit and not the same as a fat person.

They eat a rigid diet that promotes size gain AND muscle mass, they do rigid exercise to promote limb and muscle growth and strength. A Sumo Wrestler is more like a bodybuilder in a layer of blubber than a ball of grease a usual fat person is.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are a number of reasons why someone may be fat, not all of them under their control, but for the majority of people, it is under their control, and I don't really go in for the "fat and proud" philosophy. Being fat may be something you have to live with if you don't have the ability to change it, but it's not something to take pride in, especially if you continue to eat horribly. It's a health problem. That'd be like being proud of your liver damage and continuing to drink lots of alcohol.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Not so much the point I was going for, really. Though my use of the word 'fitter' was possibly incorrect in this case.

It's more the concept that people complain about fat people being 'lazy', and not working hard to get into shape... when in actuality they may have worked their asses off to get where they are, or are in the process of working out to get in better shape. Olympians are certainly an extreme example, but the point remains: we have no idea of the 'fat' person's circumstances, so we shouldn't judge/hate them for simply being fat. There are so many potential reasons for their size beyond simply being lazy or whatever, that our snap judgement is irrational, unwanted, and detrimental to all involved.

The overarching issue of obesity in general is certainly one that needs fixing, but on an individual level, when dealing with each overweight individual who crosses your path; don't hate them for their size. You cannot possibly know why they are that way, so deal with them like a decent human being would, rather than contribute to the overwhelming levels of hatred in the world.

Deleted
    Interesting reaction. Try not to read things that aren't there, shall we? Reading exercise: I never once said you were judgmental, I never once said you were an asshole, I never once said anything that you actually replied with. You assumed I said these things.

Well done, really, I am impressed at your complete lack of effort.

Deleted
    There are so many potential reasons for their size beyond simply being lazy or whatever, that our snap judgement is irrational, unwanted, and detrimental to all involved.
    The overarching issue of obesity in general is certainly one that needs fixing, but on an individual level, when dealing with each overweight individual who crosses your path; don't hate them for their size. You cannot possibly know why they are that way, so deal with them like a decent human being would, rather than contribute to the overwhelming levels of hatred in the world.
    what an incredible argument, "Don't hate them because they are fat" is all well and good, but it doesn't stop me from almost gagging when a woman has more folds of skin on her neck than Jabba the hutt it, it's only natural to think fat is ugly, especially in a day where fitness is a sign of strength.

Let me also note the final straw in this walking no brain scarecrow of a strawman.

There is a difference in being fat and being Obese.

Not so much the point I was going for, really. Though my use of the word 'fitter' was possibly incorrect in this case.

It's more the concept that people complain about fat people being 'lazy', and not working hard to get into shape... when in actuality they may have worked their asses off to get where they are, or are in the process of working out to get in better shape. Olympians are certainly an extreme example, but the point remains: we have no idea of the 'fat' person's circumstances, so we shouldn't judge/hate them for simply being fat. There are so many potential reasons for their size beyond simply being lazy or whatever, that our snap judgement is irrational, unwanted, and detrimental to all involved.

This is a fair enough set of points, and I cosign on it. A good anecdotal version of what you're referring to is my dad, who was 6', 275 at one point While he's still overweight at ~215 pounds, he does 100-mile bike rides and runs/bikes in duathlons. By any reasonable measure, he's pretty fit now; that's to be lauded, not ripped on.

On my end, what I'm reacting negatively to is things like what's linked in the OP, which seems to me very much to say, "Don't you ever say shit about my weight, it's fine".

---------- Post added 2012-11-13 at 09:37 AM ----------

Interesting reaction. Try not to read things that aren't there, shall we? Reading exercise: I never once said you were judgmental, I never once said you were an asshole, I never once said anything that you actually replied with. You assumed I said these things.

Well done, really, I am impressed at your complete lack of effort.
    I'm impressed by your spectacular condescension and disingenuousness. Go back, read your orginal reply, and see if you can figure out where I might have gleaned the idea that you were calling me judgmental from. It shouldn't be hard for you, o great master of reading.

Deleted
    This is a fair enough set of points, and I cosign on it. A good anecdotal version of what you're referring to is my dad, who was 6', 275 at one point While he's still overweight at ~215 pounds, he does 100-mile bike rides and runs/bikes in duathlons. By any reasonable measure, he's pretty fit now; that's to be lauded, not ripped on.
    Again, there is a visual difference between someone who is fat and someone who is overweight.

For one thing, fat people generally lack tone, their fat is generall saggy and droopy as it hangs lazily from the frame, a person who still has a large fat amount but is generally alot more fit and able will generall and a sturdier body.

Deleted
    I'm impressed by your spectacular condescension and disingenuousness. Go back, read your orginal reply, and see if you can figure out where I might have gleaned the idea that you were calling me judgmental from. It shouldn't be hard for you, o great master of reading.
    OK.

"Here's a fun mental exercise: Try not to judge others based on YOUR beliefs. A sumo wrestler is fit for what he wants to accomplish; because that's what fit means. It doesn't mean you've got a six-pack, it means you've got the desired whatever to do the desired whatever."

I mentioned a fun mental exercise, seriously it is good for you. The reason I called it a mental exercise is because you are wired to be judgmental, and it is difficult not to judge people. It was about not judging others on YOUR beliefs. I then mentioned that a sumo wrestler is fit for what he wants to accomplish, because that is the literal meaning of the word "fit". "Fit" isn't about being ripped or in good shape, it is about being fit for what you are trying to accomplish.

That is what I said. I cannot be held responsible if you decide to read in to what someone said to you over the internet, in goddamn text, because that is entirely on you and your own psychological issues.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    Again, there is a visual difference between someone who is fat and someone who is overweight.

For one thing, fat people generally lack tone, their fat is generall saggy and droopy as it hangs lazily from the frame, a person who still has a large fat amount but is generally alot more fit and able will generall and a sturdier body.
    I think this to generally be correct. I don't spend a lot of time examining people's fat though...

I too find fat viscerally unappealing.

---------- Post added 2012-11-13 at 09:45 AM ----------

OK.

"Here's a fun mental exercise: Try not to judge others based on YOUR beliefs. A sumo wrestler is fit for what he wants to accomplish; because that's what fit means. It doesn't mean you've got a six-pack, it means you've got the desired whatever to do the desired whatever."

I mentioned a fun mental exercise, seriously it is good for you. The reason I called it a mental exercise is because you are wired to be judgmental, and it is difficult not to judge people. It was about not judging others on YOUR beliefs. I then mentioned that a sumo wrestler is fit for what he wants to accomplish, because that is the literal meaning of the word "fit". "Fit" isn't about being ripped or in good shape, it is about being fit for what you are trying to accomplish.

That is what I said. I cannot be held responsible if you decide to read in to what someone said to you over the internet, in goddamn text, because that is entirely on you and your own psychological issues.
    That's a pretty serious mental contortion to think it's a psychological issue to read what you wrote as I did. Have fun with that, I guess.

Oh, this topic again.

Friends, we need velociraptors. That way, nobody has to bother arguing about what obesity does to someone,

because they will die trying to run from the velociraptors. Do you want to be caught by the velociraptors? No?

You know what to do.