Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Military use of melee warriors

since firearms are invented already on Azeroth, why do the horde and alliance militaries train their warriors in melee combat when they can just train them in firearms.?

Heroic Leap lets them jump as far as a man can shoot, so there's not a huge deal of advantage to having a gun.
    Guns are also less effective than thick chunks of steel when you're fighting enemies made of magically animated stone and probably also have less impact against enemies made of magic (less impact area).

Deleted
    Becouse its a fantasy world where a bullet does not equel instant death.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by splifone View Post
    since firearms are invented already on Azeroth, why do the horde and alliance militaries train their warriors in melee combat when they can just train them in firearms.?
    Because this is a game with dragons and magic. Besides, guns in this game aren't much superior to solid steel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well these guns are medieval guns ..so like you have one instant shot then 5-15secs worth of reloading then aiming to redo...so that would be awhile.

More importantly, how can I punch a ghost?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    More importantly, how can I punch a ghost?
    I like believe that all thos ghost have a part of flesh from their course and once it breaks they die...

Quote Originally Posted by nightguard View Post
    Well these guns are medieval guns ..so like you have one instant shot then 5-15secs worth of reloading then aiming to redo...so that would be awhile.
    the dwaves and gnomed have the technology to advance their weapons

There was already a thread on this today.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    People always try to fit logic to wow. Stop it!

Because armor on Azeroth is pretty much all magically fortified to stand up to bullets and fireballs.

10+ Year Old Account
    When there is actually a hand held gun in lore that the one using didn't have to reload I will accept that, but them making bigger and harder blasting guns isn't really a Diffrence.

---------- Post added 2012-11-15 at 06:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Because armor on Azeroth is pretty much all magically fortified to stand up to bullets and fireballs.
    Also this reason here..pretty sure every bit of armor is mostly thick and tough.

Quote Originally Posted by nightguard View Post
    Ignore the tech advance for a second... if that is the case then why can hunters fire a gun @ like 3.0 sec between shots (BEFORE any haste and normally it's more like 2.5ish)?

Now, add in the tech advance and it does kind of merit the question. I mean if you think about it, Azeroth is actually pretty far along technologically speaking. The Deeprun Tram? Thats pretty advanced to go under the lake so deep. When the goblins arrived in Azshara they basically TERRAFORMED it (sort of). Again advanced. Airships with machine guns, airplanes, helicopters... Well maybe I couldn't go on my longer, but it's still all pretty advanced stuff. I mean look at how long we've had airplanes around in the real world...

are you aware of the 27 foot principle?

it describes how a person with a knife has the upper hand on a person with a gun inside 27 feet, providing the person with the gun does not have it drawn.

now take the fact that guns in WoW only shoot 30 yards, and melee guys can either charge you from that distance or can walk up to you without you seeing them, and you will begin to realize why they dont train everyone to only use guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjnz
    If memory serves me right, a fox is a female wolf.

why does a race with spaceships still use "stoneage" weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by herpecin View Post
    are you aware of the 27 foot principle?

it describes how a person with a knife has the upper hand on a person with a gun inside 27 feet, providing the person with the gun does not have it drawn.

now take the fact that guns in WoW only shoot 30 yards, and melee guys can either charge you from that distance or can walk up to you without you seeing them, and you will begin to realize why they dont train everyone to only use guns.
    on a battlefield you're always going to have your weapon drawn

It's probably one of those cases where you're not supposed to think about it too much. WoW's gotten increasingly schizophrenic about the technology level.

You could say, however, that melee is reserved for exceptionally skilled warriors who get heavily enchanted equipment that is able to deflect a fair number of even heavy caliber rounds. They act as shock troops who go in and sow chaos.

Swords require little maintenance, swords dont jam, swords dont need ammo, swords are deadly all the time whereas your gun takes 10-15 seconds to reload.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Guns are no good if you've got someone in your face, sticking a sword in your gut.
    Pyromaniac protégé.

magic and short supply of gnomish/draenic automatic weapons.

the vast majority of guns in wow are crap gunpowder guns that any soldier with an enchanted blade could cut in half by the time they reload
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552