Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Gaming and Motivation

    First of all, if this is supposed to be in "Video Game Discussion" I apologize, though it didn't seem correct to me.

    Now, what I'm asking is: What is your motivation to keep on gaming? I recently quit (I'm not gonna glorify quiting, so please don't make anything out of it in this thread, thanks.) and expected it to be much harder than it was. Except for one time under "special" circumstances I haven't even touched games, and I personally feel I can do more now that I don't have any "comitment" or any relation at all to games.

    Because of this, I ask myself now - Why didn't I quit earlier? If it really was this easy to quit, can it really have been that fun to game, when I don't feel any need to go back at all. What kept me gaming for all theese years? Would this been possible earlier?

    I have earlier quit specefic games instead of gaming all togheter. If I had spent lots of time on that game already, I'd often find myself returning. Now, I don't got any specefic numbers, but I got accounts with atleast 2 years /played in total over the different games I have played. Looking at it now, I feel like I have wasted so much of my life on games.

    What's written over, is simply afterthoughts from quitting gaming (I am still reading forums though, but mainly the off-topic forums).

    And with theese after thoughts, I would like to know, what keeps you from quitting?

  2. #2
    Why are video games treated so differently than any other form of past time? Why do we never hear of "television addiction"? Of people "quitting" playing basketball?

    I play video games because it's fun. If they stop being fun, I'll stop. Simple as that. It's not addiction.

  3. #3
    Mechagnome Critical92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Bergen, Norway
    Posts
    556
    Maybe you've just outgrown gaming?

    I don't want to quit, i find games to be an excellent form of entertainment and i'm not raiding and i have self control so i'm perfectly able to do whatever i need/want to do and just put gaming in the blanks after ive filled up my schedule :P

  4. #4
    I recently moved to another town because of my studies, a lot smaller than the one I used to live in. I only know two people (aside from my BF who I moved to here with) from here well enough to actually spend time with them outside of Uni, and both of them are moving away soon. There's not much to do here except gaming :s

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    Why are video games treated so differently than any other form of past time? Why do we never hear of "television addiction"? Of people "quitting" playing basketball?

    I play video games because it's fun. If they stop being fun, I'll stop. Simple as that. It's not addiction.
    Hummm, I never was into sports or TV, so I kinda quit all those kind of things :P
    But I agree. I think the thing with sports is, it's been there all the time, TV haven't but it was first so expensive and also a huge source for news. Therefore, it never got to the addiction part.
    But yea, I agree with what you say ^^
    I know I have had fun those 2 years of /played, but it still feels wasted somehow o.o

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-16 at 12:56 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Critical92 View Post
    Maybe you've just outgrown gaming?

    I don't want to quit, i find games to be an excellent form of entertainment and i'm not raiding and i have self control so i'm perfectly able to do whatever i need/want to do and just put gaming in the blanks after ive filled up my schedule :P
    I've been to the thought of "outgrown gaming" - but I still found gaming entertaining when I quit.
    It's not because it wasn't entertaining I quit, I was asked to try quitting, I tried, and I don't regret it at all. I'm not gonna start again either.
    Also, the thing about schedule - I always manage to fill my schedule with something, even when I quit gaming. I might just be in a special position, I don't know.

    (Also, this is not related to the post in any way, but you live in an awesome place, can't wait to move there myself :P)

  6. #6
    What motivation? I play games when I want to play games. I suppose you can say my "motivation" is enjoyment, but I'd say that's garbling the cause with the effect. We all "waste" large portions of our lives on subjectively enjoyable activities. Quitting one almost invariably just means substituting it for another (unless you are a workaholic, but then that's also subjectively not important). Playing video games is a hobby like any other (though perhaps with less incidental benefits depending on what games you play and how you play); the fact that I still find it enjoyable is what keeps me from quitting that hobby.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanto94 View Post
    I feel like I have wasted so much of my life on games.
    I don't quite understand what do you mean, what you think you should have done with your time instead of gaming?
    Is some other hobby or way to past time somehow better so it wouldn't count as wasting time?

    If you stop liking something and then you quit doing it, it was not a time waste as you liked it when you were doing it.
    If you would have always hated gaming and still would do it, then it would be wasting.

    i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz | R9 280X | Samsung Evo 250GB

  8. #8
    Gameing is the same thing as someone watching sports, playing sports, playing cards, bookface all day etc. Its just like any other hobby. Some people like things over another, i like gaming and cant stand football as an example.

    Anyway i wont quit because i think its fun. Also if i quit, i wonder what i should do with all the free time, i would not survive the free time
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.”

  9. #9
    Pandaren Monk Zogarth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,942
    I play games for fun. If a game is boring, i wont play it. If i cba to play, i will watch anime.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    What motivation? I play games when I want to play games. I suppose you can say my "motivation" is enjoyment, but I'd say that's garbling the cause with the effect. We all "waste" large portions of our lives on subjectively enjoyable activities. Quitting one almost invariably just means substituting it for another (unless you are a workaholic, but then that's also subjectively not important). Playing video games is a hobby like any other (though perhaps with less incidental benefits depending on what games you play and how you play); the fact that I still find it enjoyable is what keeps me from quitting that hobby.
    Yea, I guess you raise a valid point. Unless you are willing to work the entire day, there's very little else to do than substituing it with another "timedump" that's not going to be more constructive.
    However, some problems I find with gaming is how it disturbs my (I think many others too, atleast most gamers I know) ability to make the right decision. It's not like I want to go AFK in the middle of a boss fight in order to go walk my dog. I'd prefer to actually wait til the boss is dead, and in guild raids, til the raid is over. TV lets you pause it with the right equipment, so you could just pause it, and go walk your dog. It's very few good games which let you do someting by being online for 5min.

    Also, it's a little like you say, many hobbies let you do more benefical things than playing video games (though I don't place TV in that category).
    But on the other side, as a student, no matter how boring it is, you can never know your stuff good enough. And building social relations is much easier in real life than in-game, atleast that's how I have seen things.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-16 at 01:14 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgsnstuff View Post
    I don't quite understand what do you mean, what you think you should have done with your time instead of gaming?
    Is some other hobby or way to past time somehow better so it wouldn't count as wasting time?

    If you stop liking something and then you quit doing it, it was not a time waste as you liked it when you were doing it.
    If you would have always hated gaming and still would do it, then it would be wasting.
    Well, I could first of all improved my grades. Good grades will make life easier later on, which would feel more usefull than being a lvl 90 paladin.

  11. #11
    The Lightbringer Whitey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    3,243
    Silly thread is silly. I love gaming, hence I game. If you don't like to play, don't, simple as that.

    Also;

    Quote Originally Posted by Shanto94 View Post
    I feel like I have wasted so much of my life on games.
    I'm assuming the 94 in your nick means the year you're born, making you 18, how much of your life could you really have wasted so far?
    WBMA - Leave our beards alone

    Skype, PS3 & Steam - Whiteington

    Battletag - Whitey#2918 - feel free to add me, I'm a social animal

  12. #12
    Stood in the Fire Spalding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Land Down Under
    Posts
    384
    Well... with me and WoW atm.. I stopped PvE altogether because it was an endless grind (dailies), and the raiding.. well I didn't like carrying incompetent players. However for PvP, I find it fun to get my Conquest Points cap each week with my brother. Since we LAN it together it's really fun.

    I also Play LoL with a bunch of friends. It is a real joy to play with a bunch of people, whether its ARAM, or just messing around, it's fun - an escape from life.

    So my motivation? I guess it's just fun, sure it's a time waster but time spent having fun isn't really wasted right?

  13. #13
    Dreadlord Uriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    944
    I played Football in my youth 7 years in the same club. The Club had many changes and playing football in general became less and less fun. So I quit.

    Then I trained Karate for about 5 years. Managed to gain the blue belt and entered some championships. I had to go to the Army and after my return the Club was terminated. I tried several other but Karate got less and less fun. So I quit.

    Then I played WoW for about 5 years. Played since late Vanilla till Cataclysm. But over the Xpacs the fun dimished more and more and many of my long time ingame friends quit. Game became less fun and I quit.



    So by reading this: Is there a real difference between those examples? I did something for fun several years, different circumstances changed them and they got less fun so I quit. In my opinion its a greater deal to quit a real life activity or change the club than quitting a Game. So why does everyone only talk about when someone quit a game?

    On topic: If you do something that is fun (that does not hurt or damage other People in any way) then do it. It doesnt matter what t is, even if you draw stuff on tshirts with toothpast.. as long as no ones property gets damaged and its fun just do it.
    If it stops to be fun just quit.

    Isnt it silly to force oneself to spend your precious freetime with something you actually dont enjoy?

  14. #14
    Brewmaster ridish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,456
    I don't think people play games because they are addicted to it, obviously people play games because they are fun (atleast i do).

    Also, it's a little like you say, many hobbies let you do more benefical things than playing video games (though I don't place TV in that category).
    But on the other side, as a student, no matter how boring it is, you can never know your stuff good enough. And building social relations is much easier in real life than in-game, atleast that's how I have seen things.
    Why isn't video games benefical? during my time in wow i've learned to speak english quite well considering my age and nationality. I've been the GM of a few good raiding guilds so i've learned quite abit of how to take control and lead a group of people. Also video games is a very cheap hobby compared to other hobbys.

  15. #15
    I only game when I really have nothing else to do. So quitting would mean for me, get bored..... So I don't feel the need to quit. I game only when I have nothing else to.. if something comes along, how small it may be, I'll do that first.

    I don't see gaming as a important part of my life, I see it as something used to pass time.

    On the question why some people find it hard to stop gaming:
    I think for a lot of people gaming means a way to escape the reality, which they don't find fun or in which they can't succeed (i came across both kind of people).
    Also gaming can be very addictive. So once someone is hooked to a game, they will make time game. Other things will have to wait... so as any addiction quitting will be extremely hard.
    For these kind of people it is not about fun or enjoyment; they don;t play for fun or even enjoy themselves.. they play because they have to play.
    Then there are those who get some kind of identity-boost for performing good/great at a game. Usually the people who get carried away with this, aren't successful irl, so their achievements in-game give them an ego-boost. These people will have a hard time quitting also... fun is not important, achievements are.

    These reasons are just what I experienced of friends who are gamers; they are not facts just what I saw of people surrounding me.

  16. #16
    The Lightbringer Agoonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    3,102
    I love video games like Hank Hill loves propane.

  17. #17
    Brewmaster Gotai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Zaltbommel - Netherlands
    Posts
    1,364
    I know this is just cherry picking, but I couldn't help but notice this line

    It's not like I want to go AFK in the middle of a boss fight in order to go walk my dog. I'd prefer to actually wait til the boss is dead, and in guild raids, til the raid is over. TV lets you pause it with the right equipment, so you could just pause it, and go walk your dog.
    Sounds to me like you need to learn how to manage time.
    I got a dog too, but I walk it before dinner (and our raid times used to be 19.00/20.00 where as dinner 18.00/18.30) and before I go to bed (usually around 23.30, which is after raid time).

    Getting better grades is your own fault, my gf is doing uni and still finds some time to play WoW or Skyrim and gets good grades. But probably, unlike you, she does her school work FIRST and gaming SECOND. Not to mention she also walks the dog from time to time or we do it together.

    I play games at night because I worked all day and wanna relax, have fun/socialize with RL friends that don't live next door etc. If there's a good film coming on, or my gf wants to watch one, I go watch TV instead of play WoW.

    You're looking at this wrong or you're simply doing it wrong. Most people just play games because they enjoy it, a minority because they think or are addicted.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    Silly thread is silly. I love gaming, hence I game. If you don't like to play, don't, simple as that.

    Also;



    I'm assuming the 94 in your nick means the year you're born, making you 18, how much of your life could you really have wasted so far?
    Considering I have had access to computer since I was 3, a lot.
    If you then add in the aspect of that my grades are lower than they would been if I spent the time on gaming on homework, I also feel its a waste of future time, even when I quit gaming.

    And the question is, what keeps you gaming. If it's that you love gaming, then what about gaming do you love. That's what I am asking.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    Why are video games treated so differently than any other form of past time? Why do we never hear of "television addiction"? Of people "quitting" playing basketball?

    I play video games because it's fun. If they stop being fun, I'll stop. Simple as that. It's not addiction.
    Although I agree with what you're saying, in your personal situation, there is more to think about.
    Watching television is something what you can share with your family/friends while being physically near eachother. So there is interaction.
    Being social in Wow means using chat or some voice-tool... sometimes also with people you've never met.
    playing wow means not interacting with people surrounding you.... watching television together means gathering with people surrounding you and playing wow is the opposite: you have to get away from them and lock yourself into your pc/screen. So there is difference.

    Basketball will do the same thing. I won't be able to do it alone... I need my friends to do it. Again: wow would mean going away from them and socialize with people you (sometimes) never met.

    Socializing in wow misses a lot of stuff. You don't see them, you won't know what kind of emotions your words or actions cause.
    So I don't find it a good comparison "watching television", "playing basket ball" and "playing a game".

    Again: I agree with what you are saying in your particular situation, you play for fun, you are not addicted.. but this is not true for everybody.

    On the other hand: people who are addicted to alcohol also say: I drink because I like it and i am not addicted; I can stop drinking whenever I want. This only will be challenged when that person stops drinking, as long as it is not challenged, it won't be clear if it is only fun or addiction.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-16 at 12:01 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    Silly thread is silly. I love gaming, hence I game. If you don't like to play, don't, simple as that.

    Also;



    I'm assuming the 94 in your nick means the year you're born, making you 18, how much of your life could you really have wasted so far?
    This might be true for you.... but not for everybody. So for you it is silly because you only play games to enjoy some free time. other play it because they feel they have to.
    You can probably stop whenever you want.. although you will only know when you really stop (just for experimenting this). There are players who can't stop, sad but true.

  20. #20
    I don't play games as much as I used to when I was younger and year after year I play less and less it seems. There will be a point where I eventually stop playing altogether like you OP. I don't even know why I play anymore, I guess I still find it enjoyable.

    Another thing why I don't really play anymore is because it seems to me that the gaming industry is out to rip me off anyway it can these days. All this focus on DLC, weapon and map packs, more multiplayer than single player and consoles and games becoming more and more expensive have really left me disillusioned.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •