Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swazi Spring View Post
    My uncle is a survivalist and has plenty of guns, ammo, food, water, medical supplies, and gasoline stockpiled. What's wrong with it?
    Nothing's wrong with it, some people are living in areas where you can easily be cut off from the world for a week or two, and they totally need it should there ever be such a case. But many people also dismiss the fact that most have about a weeks supply of food in the house anyways, and even if you don't, humans can go without food for a week or two if they really have to no problem, what they should worry about is drinkable water.
    What I don't get are people who spend thousands of dollars so they can have lasagna and roast beef for three months after the world ends, and then go tell all their friends and family about their exciting latest purchase or make youtube videos about it. In case there ever is a long-term emergency an angry mob of hungry people will then kick in their door. These are also the kind of people who will store away 3 canisters of water, and then die of dehydration after a week.
    This food insurance is just mostly a way for paranoid people to feel prepared by overpaying for fancy survival stuff that can be had way cheaper elsewhere.
    Last edited by Krawu; 2012-11-16 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silhouette of Seraphim View Post
    It's not a bad idea, especially if you live in natural disaster prone areas.

http://www.foodinsurance.com/emergency-plus-kit is a pretty reasonable price as well.
    If you live in an area that is prone to natural disaster I would assume your the type of person who lacks the insight to form a good idea otherwise you would have ..... moved to a new area.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Krawu View Post
    Nothing's wrong with it, some people are living in areas where you can easily be cut off from the world for a week or two, and they totally need it should there ever be such a case. But many people also dismiss the fact that most have about a weeks supply of food in the house anyways, and even if you don't, humans can go without food for a week or two if they really have to no problem, what they should worry about is drinkable water.
    What I don't get are people who spend thousands of dollars so they can have lasagna and roast beef for three months after the world ends, and then go tell all their friends and family about their exciting latest purchase or make youtube videos about it. In case there ever is a long-term emergency an angry mob of hungry people will then kick in their door. These are also the kind of people who will store away 3 canisters of water, and then die of dehydration after a week.
    This food insurance is just mostly a way for paranoid people to feel prepared by overpaying for fancy survival stuff that can be had way cheaper elsewhere.
    I agree completely, most people have no idea how much water is actually needed to sustain life, especially in a SHTF scenario when you are likely to be stressed and exhausted.

Aren't those just MREs?

(Like the ones the military uses)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    aren't those just MREs?

(Like the ones the military uses)
    Pretty much, with different packaging.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    There's a show on Nat Geo (doomsday preppers) that shows who the nutjobs that buy this crap are.
    It's not just about "the end of the world" It's just for any catastrophe that can happen, they'll be laughing and you'll be begging at their door when it does happen.

I would make a small kit myself if it weren't for that my parents would throw it out or if this country had anything that could make it so bad that I need such a kit (Netherlands, worst that can happen is dams breaking, maybe I should prepare a kit with an inflatable boat)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by svenforkbeard View Post
    Amazingly, this stuff lasts for 25 yrs. Why cant shop bought food have that long a shelf life. Would help with all the food waste.
    Probably because the food is most likely dried and tastes like crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    There's a show on Nat Geo (doomsday preppers) that shows who the nutjobs that buy this crap are.
    Doubt it, a true doomsday prepper has a stockpile of M.R.E's and canned food, their not going to buy insurance because they have already accounted for the possibility of themselves being the only survivors.

Insurance is pretty much a big scam in my view. My CEO was broken into and we lost around £400,000+ worth of equipment, products, proto-types and designs. The insurance company wouldn't even cover the cost of a new computer. Put the money into Premium Bonds (If you're in the U.K.), much better.

On-Topic: Seems silly. Another money making scheme?

What if your basement floods, you would need a scuba suit to get to your high priced mre's, if they stayed dry.

My mom would probably want to get those, she saw stuff like this at costco and was like "We've got to buy these for everyone in our family!" She also keeps complaining to my dad that we need to buy a generator, the Sandy stuff just made that point even stronger. It's weird, my mom is one of those people that would stock up in supplies and my dad is one of those people that thinks nothing will ever happen...unfortunately we are listening to dad too much.
    X

Quote Originally Posted by Drekker17 View Post
    My mom would probably want to get those, she saw stuff like this at costco and was like "We've got to buy these for everyone in our family!" She also keeps complaining to my dad that we need to buy a generator, the Sandy stuff just made that point even stronger.
    Why does everyone want a generator? If the world ends, where is everyone going to get all the gasoline to run them...

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    It is not THAT kind of insurance...
    Sorry, must have totally misread it. Got Man Flu! Disregard my post!

Well if the dollar suddenly loses its value we're going to suddenly find that farmers are kings, when their products sell for much more overseas than they do here. Food insurance sounds like a great idea in anticipation of what we might be looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiricine View Post
    Food insurance sounds like a great idea in anticipation of what we might be looking at.
    Not really, try eating MRE's for a year. After a while you will probably be willing to murder your neighbor for real food.
    Last edited by Purlina; 2012-11-16 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zigzagzoom View Post
    What if your basement floods, you would need a scuba suit to get to your high priced mre's, if they stayed dry.
    My uncle is prepared for that as well, he's a SCUBA instructor at a university.

15+ Year Old Account
    We provide gourmet emergency food supplies that are easy to prepare, compact to store, last 25+ years
    Sounds very gourmet indeed..

Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    Why does everyone want a generator? If the world ends, where is everyone going to get all the gasoline to run them...
    I don't think my mom thinks the world will end, lol, she just wants one if our electricity goes out too long, even though we could just go to a family members house. She has been wanting one since forever, it has nothing to do the upcoming apocalypse, some people just come in paranoid.
    X

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Silhouette of Seraphim View Post
    It's not a bad idea, especially if you live in natural disaster prone areas.

http://www.foodinsurance.com/emergency-plus-kit is a pretty reasonable price as well.
    Yeah, I bet there are lots of people in New York that wished they had one of these

I think people tend to be overly critical of people who want to be prepared for bad shit. That being said, I can't help but laugh at the people who stockpile guns and ammo. A little too many Walking Dead episodes on their DVR.