Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Your ignorance is the only funny thing. 1.8 is about the lowest you will see in America unless its en electric hybrid.
    I don't really get how it's ignorance when I already know that smaller capacity cars don't exist in america. Fact is, the american mentality drives the requirements for cars there. And, as there is no demand for smaller capacity cars, they just don't bother making them.

But anywho. I have a 2.2td PT cruiser. Had it over 10 years now and it's just starting to get parts needing changed. Overall a really nice car to drive

Deleted

Quite possibly the best shit you'll ever drive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    My first thought is a Toyota Corolla (~10 years old). It's surely not the most exciting car in the world, but Toyota's 1.8L engine is quite efficient and remarkably durable and reliable. Also, it should be pretty easy to find one. My ex had one that was essentially the same model and she as quite happy with it; got a ton of miles, no trouble, and great gas mileage.

The other obvious option is a Honda Civic, but it might be harder to find one in the same price range.

Best of luck! Getting a first car is so damned exciting, it's really a huge gateway in life to be able to get where you want without asking for help. Congrats on whatever you wind up getting!
    I'd like to second those options. For a car in the price range you're looking for, a 10 year old Civic or Corolla are probably your best bets.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post

Quite possibly the best shit you'll ever drive.
    Well, maybe not look for a Golf 2 GTI. Those are probably by now all pretty crap.
    Try to find a good Golf 4. With something like a 1.8 since they will probably not been driven like crazy.

---------- Post added 2012-11-19 at 05:44 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Vinho View Post
    I mean, if it's between the two (Civic/ Corolla), then the condition of each car is clearly going to be the determining factor ^_^
    If it is between a Toyota and a Honda, walk away and go look for a good Toyota .

Quote Originally Posted by twizter View Post
    the 2 big differences between the civic and the corolla is the big reason the race car crowd never got into the corolla. the civic has a higher tech motor, it revs higher and gets more power per cc. however the civic more often then not lacks more of the civil comforts. like lots of cheap plastics harder seats and a stiffer ride. the corolla is as we all know made by toyota, who sold there soul along time ago to make bland yet comfortable cars that grandma and young child can both enjoy.
    as for the timing belt, if my memory is working right i think the honda motors are an interference motor, which means that if you lose your timing belt you can bend valves, i dont think the toyota has the same problems..... i could be wrong, its been along time
    You clearly don't know enough about automotive mechanics to make the claims you just made.

Especially if you are referencing "Power per cc". Would people like this please stop giving automotive advice?

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Way too much going into this. It's your first car. Get an old shit-box and you'll be fine. Co-worker of mine has a 2000 Buick Regal that has 180k miles on it, paint pealing off, and it's still running fine...

Find an old lady's car and buy it. My first car was a 1990 Dodge Dynasty (at the time 6 years old) that some old lady had, low miles, for like 3,000 or something.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'll echo the Corolla fans out there.

Since you're in the 3k range, that's going to put you up into the higher miles bracket (100k+)...I'd highly suggest finding a 5 speed. Anything related to an automatic tranny going bad is going to be mega expensive relative to how much you pay for the vehicle. A nice 5 speed stick shift will be cheaper to maintain if you plan on running her into the 200k+ mile range.

As others have said...Civics are awesome but good luck finding one that's in good shape and has been properly maintained.

Its pretty easy to tell if a vehicle has been taken care of...honestly the make/model/mileage is basically irrelevant in comparison to its maintenance history. Some people are super anal, and some just run the fucking things into the ground.

The most important thing is just to continue putting money aside for future (and inevitable) repairs.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinho View Post
    Holy shit @ all this Honda love on Page 3.

So then the question becomes, If I do need to replace the timing belt on a civic (assuming that's the most commonly neglected part to maintain) how much would that replacement cost on average? ~$50-70 for the belt + Labour?

I mean, if it's between the two (Civic/ Corolla), then the condition of each car is clearly going to be the determining factor ^_^
    Easily done with a little mechanical knowledge, and some tools.. In fact there are numerous YouTube videos showing how to do it. The Timing belt kit will run you about $130 (US)

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd like to thank everyone again for your time & input <3 I'll be sure to update you guys when I get a car ^_^
    "The Maw's thirst is unquenchable. If it is not fed fresh victims, it will not hesitate to drink from its wielder instead."

Stay foreign, stay away from Hyundai. Honda Civic or Mazda3 is where I would lean.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    You clearly don't know enough about automotive mechanics to make the claims you just made.

Especially if you are referencing "Power per cc". Would people like this please stop giving automotive advice?
    i didnt give advice, i said that the honda revs higher and produces more horse power per cubic centimeter, vtecs anyway, which is why the hondas are more popular for tuning. the corolla doesn't suffer as much from hacks messing with the suspension, transmission or engine. However advise is always free as is being a jackass so please... fuck off

10+ Year Old Account
    Updated and added to my original post and hoping for more insight, thanks everyone
    "The Maw's thirst is unquenchable. If it is not fed fresh victims, it will not hesitate to drink from its wielder instead."

here's another vote for toyota or honda. they take a beating and parts are so cheap.

if you're getting automatic, get a toyota, as i'm not a fan of honda's auto trannies.
    if you're getting manual, get a honda, as manual toyota's are gonna be hard to come by

i'm biased, as my first car was an acura integra (honda) and i beat the shit out of it. my current winter beater is a toyota 4runner with almost 200k miles and i haven't even had to change my timing belt yet (although i probably should)

seriously, toyota reliability is unparalleled