Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The OPs choices for worst game ever clearly show one thing.

The guy's like 13 years old.

And yes, listing a game that sold 7 million copies like Diablo 3 as a failure is downright SILLY.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaq View Post
    The OPs choices for worst game ever clearly show one thing.

The guy's like 13 years old.

And yes, listing a game that sold 7 million copies like Diablo 3 as a failure is downright SILLY.
    Doesn't mean that it's a good game, i got mine with the annual pass because D2 was good, D3 was dissapointing for so many reasons.
    We all like & play different games, you can't bash op for not liking D3.

Oh, and i did not like final fantasy 13 either.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daraiki View Post
    So hours played=quality. Farmvillle and zyngapoker are the best games EVER made.
    They're grinds (heck, even D3 is), and apparently they're a commercial success (or were, not sure how good Zynga is doing right now). Commercial success doesn't say much about the quality though.

You can see it a failure from a commercial point of view, but also from a player or quality point of view. Or say a social point of view. In my opinion GW2 is a social success because it is so easy to play together with other players. SWTOR, in contrast, wasn't because of dead servers/factions, lack of LFG tool, lack of server merges, etc.

Funny how in this topic I read through and I read mostly new games. What about old games? Some old games really flopped hard. Too bad my memory leaves me in the cold here.

Not sure about top list but for me, Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 was a big failure. I loved the mods in CoD4, and playing on servers with their own communities. Then enter on some douche's broken internet with satellite-quality packet loss.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OneSent View Post
    Exactly. You bought an MMO and quit playing it after only 3 months. The rest of us were hoping it would hold our interest for just a little longer than that.

But it's no surprise to see SW:TOR pretty much leading this thread. The game was such a disappointment for me that it would occupy all 3 slots in my 'Top 3 Biggest Game Failures', as nothing else has fell so far from the mark.

Some people, like Fengore, seem to be confusing the point of this thread with financial failure. Financial failure =/= personal failure.

The name of "SW:TOR" is met with universal shame and mockery. It is a failure in the only way that matters: to the people who left because they were disappointed; which was a lot of people.

And being the biggest commercial failure in recent gaming history, it just really chaps my ass when people adamantly defend the game because it broke even in the beginning. Too bad the profits will merely trickle in for the remainder of it's lifespan.
    A good MMO is measured by you playing it/ farming it for 2000 hours+? A fucking ton of people complaining about dailies and constant farming in MoP, and that's not good quality content either.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by OneSent View Post
    Exactly. You bought an MMO and quit playing it after only 3 months. The rest of us were hoping it would hold our interest for just a little longer than that.

But it's no surprise to see SW:TOR pretty much leading this thread. The game was such a disappointment for me that it would occupy all 3 slots in my 'Top 3 Biggest Game Failures', as nothing else has fell so far from the mark.

Some people, like Fengore, seem to be confusing the point of this thread with financial failure. Financial failure =/= personal failure.

The name of "SW:TOR" is met with universal shame and mockery. It is a failure in the only way that matters: to the people who left because they were disappointed; which was a lot of people.

And being the biggest commercial failure in recent gaming history, it just really chaps my ass when people adamantly defend the game because it broke even in the beginning. Too bad the profits will merely trickle in for the remainder of it's lifespan.
    If it was just a single player game or a MMO without subscription it wouldn't have needed those grinds at level 50. People would just buy it and play it for what it is. It simply isn't a WoW replacement in space, and it certainly had too many bugs in WZs etc. The expectations were too high and simply weren't met. I know people who quit over DS and went to SWTOR but are now back because MoP is all find 'n dandy.

1. swtor
    2. gw2
    3. rift
    "We live in a world where a style of play that uses posession and passing to try and make spaces is made fun of.
    While a style of play where a team sits back for 90 minutes and breaks away in 1v1 situations is respected."
    - Ronald Koeman.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Indeed, Deus Ex HR was one of the best games I've played.
    Only quoting this part to agree

Deleted
    1. C&C 4 way to bury the franchise...
    2. Quake 4 - weak game, they didn't even try and innovate or go the way of quake 3 arena to promote a fast competitive oldschool shooter.
    3. C&C Tiberium shooter game that was canceled by EA, I've been looking forward for that game so much, I really wanted a game like old C&C Renegade was.
    4. tied with 3 here Red alert 3

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    Yea but they took the same route SW:ToR did with fixing things. They waited untill almost everytone quit before doing so. Granted the game is easier now and you get better drops but just in the case of SW:ToR its too little too late. Once everyone leaves a game cause it sucks most never return no matter how better they make it.
    Well, to be fair, I would pick it up again if I had one of my friends playing it with me again. She and I had lots of fun on farming runs. Probably more because of the playing together with my best friend part and less because of the farming runs part.

I just didn't like the game as a solo player. I've always preferred games like that as multi-play. With nobody to multi-play with it's just kinda...blech. : /
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

10+ Year Old Account
    E.T for the Atari nuff said :P

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewote View Post
    1. Dark Souls for PC, yes I know it can be modded, but a game shouldn't need mods to be playable.
    I wouldn't count that as a flop, they didn't want to do it first, and they said themselves that they sucked at doing PC games. They only did it because tens of thousands of people signed a petition for it.

Quote Originally Posted by EqualWin View Post
    1. swtor
    2. gw2
    3. rift
    What the fuck?

Swtor yes, but how are GW2 and Rift failures in any possible sense? Both are still running strong and are huge commercial sucesses.
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

Quote Originally Posted by Migey View Post
    What the fuck?

Swtor yes, but how are GW2 and Rift failures in any possible sense? Both are still running strong and are huge commercial sucesses.
    Again the thread is a personal dislike list, not a failure list

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    Another one who didn't play since patches 1.04 and 1.05.

We now talk adaptable Monster Power levels (0-10) or crafting Legendary Rings (bind on account !) with new crafting machines that need to be put together with key drops from new Elites and open up new boss fights in the end game (6 of them actually).

So another one who has NO clue what he's talking about in present day Diablo 3...

BTW Anyone can now advance in Inferno (MP0) without ever buying a thing on the AH...

So you talk about a game that changed greatly and you have no clue ... In fact by posting like this you rate games without even playing them in their latest form: the sickness of the internet.
    Its too late. The game needed to be good on launch. Let's assume your correct, and they made D3 great with those patches. It won't convince people to return to a game that is 6 months old. People will spend money on something else.

Personally, those features don't entice me. Here is what I want:

1. A decent chat system. Channels, talking, a community.
    2. An official leveling ladder system.

Also, the monster power system is TERRIBLE. Absolutely TERRIBLE. The Diablo series was about low hitpoints, and HUGE damage. Monster power is in direct conflict with the core gameplay style. Its about boosting monster hitpoints to practically WoW-like levels. Don't do that. You can increase the challenge in various ways, but DONOT under any circumstances convert it into a WoW game.

I could see monster power levels being about monsters hitting harder, or having more spells, or monster packs getting bigger. That would be Diablo-ish. But we don't want to boost hitpoints. That's how the warcraft series makes things harder. That should not be in Diablo.

The difference between Starcraft and Warcraft was that in SC, units had low hitpoints and did huge damage. WC units had huge hitpoints and did low damage. SC is macro. WC is micro.

Likewise, Diablo was an RPG featuring low hitpoints and huge damage. WoW was the compliment, featuring huge hitpoints and low damage. Diablo is macro, WoW is micro. Diablo gamestyle is about funnelling enemies through chokes, or pincering them between obstacles or other players. Almost like herding them into your damage.

Monster power is basically throwing away the core game design.
    Last edited by Grummgug; 2012-11-24 at 05:58 PM.

You all have no idea what true failures are:

ET (Atari 2600)
    Superman 64 (Nintendo 64)
    Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness (mulitplatform)

THOSE are failures.

1. Final Fantasy 14
    2. Warhammer Online
    3. Vanguard

Always come to mind.

Deleted
    all the supposed wow-killers, so
    tortanic above all
    rift
    gw2

and we could add aion, aoc, warhammer online and many others

Quote Originally Posted by Gniral View Post
    all the supposed wow-killers, so
    tortanic above all
    rift
    gw2

and we could add aion, aoc, warhammer online and many others
    Only 2 games you listed were billed as "wow killers".

I understand people are just listing their own opinion/perceptions but come on. At least be like, thoughtful about what you are listing.

"Failure: Everything I don't like or pay attention to" -- is not useful or insightful.

Deleted
    1- Swotr
    2- Warhammer Online
    3- The Secret World

Once again, both GW2 and Rift are huge sucesses, and nowhere near failures.

You even played either of them? Both are incredibly different to WoW in so many aspects, and are not supposed to supplant it. Rift suffered from being seen as such due to some ill-advised early marketing, but it has evolved into something completely different, and GW2 was never supposed to replace WoW.
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."