Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I see a lot of fuss about this exploiting, but what has been happening? Seeing as I've been casually doing arena, I'm getting worried if random people get banhammered. What's been happening? When someone mentions wintrading I always imagine some friends on skype queueing up at the same time and hoping they meet each other, but from the blue's messages it seems there's more going on?

@OP, hope you get your account restored.

Edit: Rite, I googled some. Er, I hope I'm ok, I can see how you can do one accidentally. I tend to ragequit.
    Last edited by Cirque; 2012-11-21 at 05:28 AM.

I stopped PvPing when guarding the mine in AB risked me having my account banned.

If you want to PvP, then WoW isn't the place to do it.

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    i think its more funny that blizz thinks people at the 1800 are exploiting instead of people at 2200
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    there are a LOT of people who are getting banned who didn't exploit

if you didn't see this coming a mile away you're just not too bright. they will NOT ban the people who did this and are known by the community, they will 'accidentally ban' a bunch who didn't, restore their account and then this dies down without them having to ban a bunch of subs

they've done this before. now it "feels" like they did something because a bunch of nobodies are flooding the forums and blues can respond to that to look busy, involved.

blizz isn't going to do shit though if it hurts their next quarterly report. they used to ban late and count the banned sub + the replacement sub that people bought at a rate of 75%

now that replacement sub isn't coming back like it used to so they have stopped banning as much, which is why there are bots EVERYWHERE now

---------- Post added 2012-11-20 at 06:20 PM ----------

go tell the 88 people who have had the same thiing happen to them on wow forums that too

i've yet to see one with a .500+ win % in pvp. i told a guy last week they'd "accidentally ban the wrong people" so there was a huge fuss over their 'ban wave' and in the end, very VERY few would get banned permanently and they'd simply restore the "accidental bans" since it's automated anyway
    In the past people who complained about PvP exploitation bans on the forums were all on teams that had exploited, even if they haven't, so while they got actions incorrectly, it wasn't randomly.

I would suggest keeping better company over pushing crazy conspiracy theories with no proof.

OP you should have gotten an email telling you how to contest it, if not there is a link in the Blue Tracker. Best of luck.

Deleted
    Lol i got banned once for being a Nazi. Called Blizzard and said i didnt even log in that day and it took them two days to realize they banned the wrong person:/

TWO days. That should take 30 minutes not TWO days.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirque View Post
    I see a lot of fuss about this exploiting, but what has been happening? Seeing as I've been casually doing arena, I'm getting worried if random people get banhammered. What's been happening? When someone mentions wintrading I always imagine some friends on skype queueing up at the same time and hoping they meet each other, but from the blue's messages it seems there's more going on?

@OP, hope you get your account restored.
    It's a lot more than that, win trading is still a thing (exactly as you describe it). But there are a couple other exploits available right now.

One involves a way to prevent yourself from losing rating when you lose a match - allowing you not lose points to comps you suck against, gain points off comps you do well against, or - if you try a comp but lose anyways - to then not lose points from losing to them.

The other makes it such that the game ignores your teams rating and only queues you up based on your MMR rating (it has always done this) - but, by using a bug in the MMR system, you can make it give you say - 500 points for beating any team at all (even teams below 1500 rating), only to then bug your MMR again, get queued against a sub-1500 team again, win, and then gain another massive chunk of MMR (though probably not 500) - continuing until your teams rating, and your personal rating is above 3k, but your MMR is still like 1500.

A similar bug is probably undetectable still, so I will give the least detail since that will only encourage people to try it (it's also the least documented, fortunately), but it works much like the above but doesn't give you a huge chunk of rating per win. Instead, you gain rating as normal, you lose rating as normal - but here's the exploit - you don't fight people at your rating - you fight people who are way below you in rating. Did a 2200 team just beat a 1500 team? +15 points to the 2200 team, they totally deserve that, right? So ya - that's another exploit. (Note: this is different than when a new teams MMR is very different than their CR (or vice versa) and they are rewarded a large amount of points to bring it up toward their MMR faster).
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2012-11-21 at 06:05 AM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    There are actually I think, 3 MMR exploits in arenas currently - one of them it could... maybe... be possible to do by accident - but I obviously don't want to expand on how it works lest we get even more exploiters. The penalties they announced for MMR exploiting aren't severe enough, such that I suspect it will actually encourage people to do it now. (The last thing I need to do is tell them how).
    Exactly, 72hr suspension is like a small slap on the hand for being naughty. It doesn't deter the wintraders at all. They need to hand out permabans. Not referring to the OP of course.

We can't possibly know if the OP is innocent or if the OP is upset about being rightfully suspended and is trying to get some kind of revenge by making Blizzard look bad. There have been far too many of the latter for me to trust anyone on the subject. People also seem to always be surprised when they get banned for things, not realizing what they did wrong, despite the fact that it's painfully obvious to everyone else.

I can highly recommend the Reddit thread where Arena.net answered people's questions about why they had been suspended for bad behavior, including plenty of examples of less than normal behavior that people then conveniently forgot all about.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

Dang, I hope Blizz does the right thing and credits you with at least a free 7 days of game time to make up for their mistake.

there is a handful of 2600 teams who never qeued against wintraders though, just sayin

If the OP is telling the truth I feel bad for him, if not then I wish his ban would be permanent.

For those saying the OP and people shouldn't receive any time or a mount or whatever, quit trying to defend bad business practices. If you went to a restaurant and ordered your food only for part of it to arrive burnt horribly wouldn't you expect that part to be remade? The restaurant would be under no legal obligation to remake it, yet not only will most places do that, but they will often give you a discount, comp a drink, desert, etc. Why do they do that, because not doing so will ensure that a customer does not return. Why do we treat companies like Blizzard differently? They made a mistake, one that someone is paying for (and can easily interfere with the play of 24 others if a raider), yet people say that the customer should just take it without demanding that time paid for be actually be provided?

Quote Originally Posted by Utinil View Post
    If the OP is telling the truth I feel bad for him, if not then I wish his ban would be permanent.

For those saying the OP and people shouldn't receive any time or a mount or whatever, quit trying to defend bad business practices. If you went to a restaurant and ordered your food only for part of it to arrive burnt horribly wouldn't you expect that part to be remade? The restaurant would be under no legal obligation to remake it, yet not only will most places do that, but they will often give you a discount, comp a drink, desert, etc. Why do they do that, because not doing so will ensure that a customer does not return. Why do we treat companies like Blizzard differently? They made a mistake, one that someone is paying for (and can easily interfere with the play of 24 others if a raider), yet people say that the customer should just take it without demanding that time paid for be actually be provided?
    I feel the same way. If its found that the OP is correct, he should receive credit for the time missed, the gear + rating returned. My guess is that they played quite a few matches against opponents that were caught win trading and was tossed in with the rest.

I remember receiving extra time years ago - mostly because servers were down for extended periods of time. I've also received other "stuff" when my faction transfer messed up - wiping some of my achievements along with a good chunk of reputations. Its very possible that the OP can receive some compensation for a staff error.

Deleted
    They say they did not do it...who proves they did not do it? Just moan more about Blizzard as it seems the only thing you do as your hobbys...pure envy

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoGhost View Post
    i think its more funny that blizz thinks people at the 1800 are exploiting instead of people at 2200
    If you suck at the game you exploit. If you suck at the game and suck at exploiting you cap out at 1800. They're getting rid of the ones who really have no clue first.

Deleted
    I had ALL my conquest gear removed off my druid (12 items), all my conquest points gone (albeit on 3), all my honour gone, all my arena teams disbanded.

I have NEVER exploited MMR, never logged out during arena or RBGs.

I didn't even get a suspension, so they can't even get their mistakes right.
    No email to say what or why they have done what they've done.

All this on top of possibly the worst arena season ever.

Deleted
    Perhaps one of your team mates exploited? When you we're going for 1,8k maybe u done this via exploiting and u did not know a thing about it ? Call them up and ask.

So ur rating is past 1500? and u have 5 pieces of conq gear?1 whaaat, Ban them all. This is what they are doing atm... hope they don't strike me

" A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities "

10+ Year Old Account
    One of my 3s partners got banned for "exploiting", on 2.5k rating that is. He called blizz and was fixed within an hour.
    Nonetheless, we still have our team disbanded, but that's the very least of my problem, our win ratio was way to fucked up anyway.

So if you think the ban is undeserved, just call blizzard and they'll fix it.

I got banned aswell and my highest arena rating is 1960 on a legit 3v3 on the 2nd week of the season. Both guys on my team didnt receive any punishment. Just me. We didnt exploit at all..

Thank u blizzard

---------- Post added 2012-11-21 at 11:14 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Niberion View Post
    One of my 3s partners got banned for "exploiting", on 2.5k rating that is. He called blizz and was fixed within an hour.
    Nonetheless, we still have our team disbanded, but that's the very least of my problem, our win ratio was way to fucked up anyway.

So if you think the ban is undeserved, just call blizzard and they'll fix it.
    He call to blizzard call center? here, on Brazil, the blizzard call center doesn't resolve this type of issues. I'm waiting the ticket.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by drivertz View Post
    I got banned aswell and my highest arena rating is 1960 on a legit 3v3 on the 2nd week of the season. Both guys on my team didnt receive any punishment. Just me. We didnt exploit at all..

Thank u blizzard

---------- Post added 2012-11-21 at 11:14 AM ----------

He call to blizzard call center? here, on Brazil, the blizzard call center doesn't resolve this type of issues. I'm waiting the ticket.
    Well, I guess a ticket would have worked as well, but here in europe you usually get helped with such problems instantly when you just call em, which is faster than waiting half a week on a ticket.