Crafting really worth it?

OK, so I've just started playing F2P, really enjoying my Jedi Knight (well, Jedi Sentinel, now.) I was thinking of buying up some cartel coins. That by itself will get me preferred and two crew skill slots, and I was thinking of spending some of the coins on the third. I enjoy crafting in other games, and artifice appeals to me. Now, I'm really more interested in the leveling and the story than any PvP or Flashpoints or what-not. For that, is it worth spending the coins on the slot?

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't say so. I feel crafting lacks the qualities that it has in other games. I see no real benefit to crafting if you're only interested in leveling and the story. I mean, you could craft yourself mods and such as you level- but you can be well ahead of the gear curve without it if you do all the quests.

It seems crafting is nice at 50 when re-engineering comes into play. One can RE an implant or Earpiece and hopefully learn the schematic for it, thus being able to pull in A LOT of profit crafting it, etc. That is just one example, but rarely do I see crafting being used for anything other than making stims and REing armorings, mods and enhancements.

10+ Year Old Account
    The crafting system is superior to many other games. But if I remember correctly it didnt have that many benefits outside of being able to craft gear to look the way you want or a few select items like speeders and what not.

Not sure i could say its worth it in the F2P model, but if you are subscribed def no reason not to take up a few crew skills.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre2387 View Post
    OK, so I've just started playing F2P, really enjoying my Jedi Knight (well, Jedi Sentinel, now.) I was thinking of buying up some cartel coins. That by itself will get me preferred and two crew skill slots, and I was thinking of spending some of the coins on the third. I enjoy crafting in other games, and artifice appeals to me. Now, I'm really more interested in the leveling and the story than any PvP or Flashpoints or what-not. For that, is it worth spending the coins on the slot?
    For your specific needs, not really. If you like the feeling of artificing...by that I mean making your own sabers and color crystals, you may want the third because it will provide the gathering profession for the rare materials.

Nothing you can make will be specifically better than what you can get elsewhere. It just provides a bit of fun and depth to the game. The only real benefit from crafting these days are stims and making augments

I found crafting useful in ToR, especially if you manage to get all the basic mod production set up. But it's not at all required unless you're overly concerned about over-gearing yourself for the planets.

Granted I prefer Cybertech over the rest since it's covers armoring and "Mod" slots, while artifice falls in second for it's enhancement slots (usable for everyone regardless of class). I haven't seen any overly interesting equipment that is produced from any skill while leveling, aside from early or guaranteed orange equipment at certain lvls (restrictions based on class).

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Nothing you can make will be specifically better than what you can get elsewhere. It just provides a bit of fun and depth to the game. The only real benefit from crafting these days are stims and making augments
    I doubt this very much. Crafted gear will be better than any questgear if on the same level.. you can't even compare it. I'm usually only selling questgear because even 5lvl old crafted gear is still better than questgear. Therefor.... theoretically crafting is very useful if you'd like to spend the time with.

However as you are preferred account... I would reccomend to really just choose something like slicing and diplomacy to purely help your financial situation in the game. You can then sell the rare materials and the crafting schematics you'll get from slicing. Reason for this is that... leveling your first character you better focus on having all skills, getting your speeder license and stuff. It will be more difficult of course, naturally, but that's how everyone has startet the game. After your first character it gets only easier.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychlon View Post
    I doubt this very much. Crafted gear will be better than any questgear if on the same level.. you can't even compare it. I'm usually only selling questgear because even 5lvl old crafted gear is still better than questgear.
    I was specifically talking about end game. Additionally, the gear you get from planet comms is better than the crafted gear since it's moddable. There's never been one instance of crafted gear being better for me ever, unless I'm delaying my leveling just to wait until my crafting is higher. (which is silly)

The GTN alone will keep you well above your crafting range for minimal credits.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre2387 View Post
    its only worth it really for augmented gear - people try to get an orange for every slot that has an augment so they can min/max

A purple lvl 20 is worse than a green/blue quest lvl 20? As you can't fill out all slots for moddable gear I didn't consider it to be interesting. In case I would and someone has an Artifice/ Armor or Synth, Cybertech and Weaponsmith (in case of not playing a lightsaber class) to provide armoring/ mods/ enhancements etc. you are even more superior to h4/ comm gear you would get on that level.

What I really like about crafting is that... you can do it next to whatever you are doing, thats probably the highest benefit. However for diehard crafter they could add a "ship" bonus, giving them a higher crit rate/ quality when they are crafting it on their ship. Not sure if it would be worth it though.

Deleted
    Crafting in TOR is very shallow imo. I put it on a par with space as a feature that was done half-heartedly. It's my luck/curse to have played SWG before TOR and comparing SWG's crafting system to TOR's is probably why I find TOR's to be so simplistic. Maybe compared to other MMO's it's a shining light of innovation but after 6 years spent browsing this website in order to craft http://swgcraft.co.uk/dev/find_resources.php I've been spoiled rotten crafting wise.

however the funny part is that you can craft actually more item variations of one item than you could in SWG... surely you can't experiement into something and you don't need crafting clothes but it's still something.

Deleted
    I found it really useful to have on my Trooper whilst leveling. I took Armoursmith and the gathering skills to go with it since all my companions where heavy armour aswell I could make better armour for me and them, most of the stuff I made for my level was better than the quest items I was getting.

Biochem is pretty useful when leveling with stims and meds. But on the whole, crafting is purely optional in this game.

Rakata stim is nice when you need additional HP for some short amount of time and if you spend some time you'll make more money with crafting than with questing, requirement is that you are raiding endcontent. (27 hilts/ barrels etc. sell for over 1-2 million a piece)

If you're not leveling BioChem for reusable medpacks, stims, and adrenals, then save yourself a lot of time and money, and just take gathering skills. Rank 6 gifts from Diplomacy are hot sellers. Slicing is a good choice if you only deal in lockboxes (and actively slice in the world while questing). Go with those if you can only pick two. Add in Bioanalysis if you can get three. Leveling it while leveling up will produce a stockpile in your bank that will sell very well at 50.
    There were around 7,000 Greeks in total at the Battle of Thermopylae.
    Not just the Spartans and a few inept imbeciles to play clean up.
    Friends don't let friends listen to Zach Snyder/