Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Music] Chop Suey

I had no idea that this song was actually this popular. I mean we're talking 144 million views for a metal song and you guys have to understand that even us metal lovers know that songs don't become that popular on Youtube, only Justin Bieber (shame), Nicki Minaj, etc. get to rack up that many views generally. I didn't think System of the Down was that popular and even their other songs are well in the 10's of millions view wise.
    Hey everyone

Just curious and I don't mean this as an insult in any way but how old are you? The song was insanely popular when it was released but that was about 12 years ago. Besides that System of a down is pretty freakin awesome. Thank you though it's been awhile since I've listened to them and this made me want to bust them out again

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    Just curious and I don't mean this as an insult in any way but how old are you? The song was insanely popular when it was released but that was about 12 years ago. Besides that System of a down is pretty freakin awesome. Thank you though it's been awhile since I've listened to them and this made me want to bust them out again
    I'm 18 (month off of 19), I just honestly had no clue... I'd loved the song forever but I never really thought any metal band gets that far and the video was uploaded 3 years ago.
    Hey everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    It cant be 12 years, really? I saw them the same year that cd came out and it doesnt seem like that long ago.
    "Let me answer your question with another, How would you feel if you found out you were a potato?"

Nintendo Friend Code 1049-0261-4082 Pokemon Name - Max

10+ Year Old Account
    I sure wish system would get back together, but surj is dragging his feet trying to release more solo albums than david bowie. His solo albums aren't really that good either.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember when Chop Suey was released and it was super popular. I was very young but still all of my friends listened to it a lot.

http://www.last.fm/bestof/10years/artists?from=20

This isn't to be taken as fact or anything, but SoAD Is even in the top 20 scrobbles for Last.fm.
    They're really popular, I've always found it kinda odd as well. I do love me some soad though..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaeh View Post
    http://www.last.fm/bestof/10years/artists?from=20

This isn't to be taken as fact or anything, but SoAD Is even in the top 20 scrobbles for Last.fm.
    They're really popular, I've always found it kinda odd as well. I do love me some soad though..
    I find it odd because one would think many would think their music is too odd for the general consensus though I'm being proven wrong.

Isn't BYOB popular only because of how crazy it is?
    Hey everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never been a fan of SoaD. They're a spoof band to me, but they take themselves so seriously. I don't even consider them real metal because of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    I've never been a fan of SoaD. They're a spoof band to me, but they take themselves so seriously. I don't even consider them real metal because of it.
    Judging by your avatar I wouldn't assume you would. :/
    Hey everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    They're mainstream and got played overkill on rock stations. It's just "not metal" enough to be played elsewhere. Aerials too. Hell, I never defined them to myself as "metal". I never knew what they were, I just knew radio stations loved them for a little while.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aang View Post
    I find it odd because one would think many would think their music is too odd for the general consensus though I'm being proven wrong.

Isn't BYOB popular only because of how crazy it is?
    >He thinks SOAD are edgy.
    No, no, they're pretty mainstream.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    Quote Originally Posted by teebo View Post
    It cant be 12 years, really? I saw them the same year that cd came out and it doesnt seem like that long ago.
    Yup. I used to go to a metal club back when I was 18 and they used to play that song a lot when it first came out.
    I know, I know. I feel old now too.

On topic: The song has been out for a long time and SOAD are insanely popular. Most metallers I've encountered like them, not matter which sub-genre of metal they typically prefer. Plus I know a lot of people that aren't really into metal that like SOAD - they have a very broad appeal, it seems.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

Quote Originally Posted by Zefie View Post
    >He thinks SOAD are edgy.
    No, no, they're pretty mainstream.
    I disagree with that. SOAD at the time they released Chop Suey didn't sound like anything or anyone else. They were part of the "Nu Metal wave", but they lean really hard towards alternative metal, it's only the consistent, drop-D crunchy guitars that keep them in the nu-metal bracket.

Serj's voice is just incredible in some of the songs and was worth listening to alone, though his solo work receives even more divided opinions than anything SOAD ever did.

Either way, there's a reason why they get reviews like this:

http://www.allmusic.com/album/toxicity-mw0000620587

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember it being pasted in to frag movies a lot. Before "propane nightmares" was released. And now dubstep took their place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Deleted
    Yeah, this song was mainstream when it was released like 10 years ago.

System of a Down are really like Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park, not like "true" metal bands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, Chop Suey <3 I remember every fucking boy in my 7th grade class knowing every single word and trying to impress each other by doing it "right". It also got listened to ad nauseum by both the spoiled brats with mp3-players, and on every birthday party, class get-together, ANY REASON WAS GOOD ENOUGH DAMMIT! I still like soad^^

But I wouldn't call them metal. I'm part of the "Nu Metal ain't a genre, but many of the bands are good"-crowd. =P
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the reason so many people like SoaD is simply because they manage to cover almost every single genre, so no matter what you like, they'll have something for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    But I wouldn't call them metal. I'm part of the "Nu Metal ain't a genre, but many of the bands are good"-crowd. =P
    It is pretty much impossible to put one genre-stamp on them, again because of the many genres that they cover. They've done some metal, but lots of other things as well.
    Last edited by Tzalix; 2013-05-31 at 06:14 PM.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzalix View Post
    It is pretty much impossible to put one genre-stamp on them, again because of the many genres that they cover. They've done some metal, but lots of other things as well.
    Yeah, I'm still saying Alternative Hard Rock. It's experimental as hell, harder than rock&roll, but softer than metal. Anyway, that's a discussion for another time :P
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Quote Originally Posted by Endre View Post
    Yeah, this song was mainstream when it was released like 10 years ago.

System of a Down are really like Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park, not like "true" metal bands.
    That must be why they're compared to Frank Zappa and Slayer.