Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Supersize VS Superskinny

It's an UK only serie but it seriously is interesting to watch, there are a lot of episodes from it online on Youtube:

It does have a little misinformation at times but really it is fun to watch.

If you can't stand fat or obese people or underweight people then don't watch this.

Deleted
    Having been skinny once, I would rather be too fat than too thin. It is so much harder for a naturally thin person to add weight than to lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    It is so much harder for a naturally thin person to add weight than to lose it.
    I think it could also be said that it's so much harder for a naturally fat person to gain it than to lose it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel bad for her since she has a mental problem. The fat guy is just another fat guy who doesn't eat right.
    The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword.

Deleted
    Having been skinny once, I would rather be too fat than too thin.
    I've yet to see someone on this show who is skinnier than me.
    And I really have to say: Never ever I'd rather be (too) fat.
    It comes along with many more disadvantages until you reach a "better" weight (if you even want to), and the pressure to do so is way higher in the first place.

@topic:
    I've watched almost every episode of the show on youtube, and I think it's indeed quite interesting.
    It's a shame that it was discontinued (at least as far as I know).
    Last edited by mmocc02219cc8b; 2012-11-25 at 08:08 PM.

Deleted
    Having been skinny once, I would rather be too fat than too thin. It is so much harder for a naturally thin person to add weight than to lose it.
    Agreed I guess, I mean I am overweight yet lift weights at the gym.

If I would lose fat and I swear you it's easy, just a matter of willpower then I would look quite good.

---------- Post added 2012-11-25 at 09:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nivis View Post
    It comes along with many more disadvantages until you reach a "better" weight (if you even want to), and the pressure to do so is way higher in the first place.

@topic:
    I've watched almost every episode of the show on youtube, and I think it's indeed quite interesting.
    Wha? You are skinnier than them all? o_0

Deleted

@topic:
    You sound like you have a disorder. The exuberance with which you express your "superior" skinniness and your extreme interest in this show (watching all episodes) indicates this.

I read a study a while back about people like you. Health experts and psychologists are advocating that shows like this and ads against eating disorders (mainly bulimia and anorexia) to be discontinued and not pursued further. Apparently individuals with eating disorders, instead of being educated, shocked or scared by the documentaries; actually attempt to be EVEN skinnier than the sickly people they see.

I haven't read anything about the effect of such programs on obese individuals, but studies are showing them to have a negative effect on underweight (...and possibly sickly underweight) individuals such as Nivis.

Deleted
    Neither extreme of the spectrum is particularly healthy and to re-adjust both requires a radical re-structuring of a person's behaviour and attitude. Losing weight and gaining weight are both surprisingly easy once you adjust your mental approach and focus your efforts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperMechatronGamer View Post
    You sound like you have a disorder. The exuberance with which you express your "superior" skinniness and your extreme interest in this show (watching all episodes) indicates this.
    Besides that I know this, the reason why I mentioned it in the first place was to make clear that I somewhat know what I'm talking about.

My whole point is: Yes, it might be true that effectively gaining weight could be more difficult on average (although it depends on if you just want to gain weight or gain it by building muscles).
    Still I think that being too skinny is - as a whole - a lot better than being too fat.
    Why? Yes, it is unhealthy too - just as being obese is.
    Yet the way people look at you is completely different. Being obese is frowned upon. People expect you to lose weight.
    Being skinny mostly isn't. The pressure from outside to change your weight is so much less present.
    In my opinion, that's a factor which definitely should not be overlooked.

Apparently individuals with eating disorders, instead of being educated, shocked or scared by the documentaries
    Some are, some aren't.
    Many people with eating disorders know what they are doing anyway, so they won't be surprised to see such pictures. *shrug*

Deleted
    Besides that I know this, the reason why I mentioned it in the first place was to make clear that I somewhat know what I'm talking about.

My whole point is: Yes, it might be true that effectively gaining weight could be more difficult on average (although it depends on if you just want to gain weight or gain it by building muscles).
    Still I think that being too skinny is - as a whole - a lot better than being too fat.
    Why? Yes, it is unhealthy too - just as being obese is.
    Yet the way people look at you is completely different. Being obese is frowned upon. People expect you to lose weight.
    Being skinny mostly isn't. The pressure from outside to change your weight is so much less present.
    In my opinion, that's a factor which definitely should not be overlooked.

Some are, some aren't.
    Many people with eating disorders know what they are doing anyway, so they won't be surprised to see such pictures. *shrug*
    Stop trying to rationalize your eating disorder mate.

Being overweight is unhealthy, and being underweight is unhealthy too. No need to argue which is the lesser evil.

I'm skinny and I would never ever want to be fat. Ever. That being said, being too skinny is the same as being too fat. Both have health concerns and health problems.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aalyy View Post
    I think it could also be said that it's so much harder for a naturally fat person to gain it than to lose it.
    Eat less, lose weight, its simple. On the other hand look at how much work bodybuilding is.

Deleted
    Eat less, lose weight, its simple. On the other hand look at how much work bodybuilding is.
    Also, in terms of overall health - bodybuilding isn't exactly beneficial.

10+ Year Old Account

Being overweight is unhealthy, and being underweight is unhealthy too. No need to argue which is the lesser evil.
    I think his point is that being underweight is often considered a good thing, especially in places like the U.S., and people are actually ENCOURAGED to be unhealthily skinny, while people who are even only slightly overweight are told to lose weight and are treated as second class people.

Plus, I don't think people understand how damn hard it is to gain weight, especially because skinny people usually have an underlying problem.

Quote Originally Posted by dupti View Post
    Something.

I'm 5"11 215 and I think I'm fat. I'm strong, but I have no endurance.

180-190 with muscles is my goal. Too skiny is not better, you are too weak. Too fat means the same thing. Both = weakness
    Last edited by Morogoth; 2012-11-25 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aalyy View Post
    "naturally fat"

what

Deleted
    Just watching that show makes me feel slightly nauseaus, the amount of food some people there eat.. I don't see how they can eat the amounts they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
    Plus, I don't think people understand how damn hard it is to gain weight, especially because skinny people usually have an underlying problem.
    I don't know about "underlying problem" but I know it's basically impossible for me to gain weight. If I'm not working out, I'm full at about 1500 Cal per day. If I am working out (cardio, weight lifting, etc), I get up to more like 3500. I just don't feel the need to eat more than that. It's not any aversion to food at all (those who know me on here will vouch for that).

I'm about 6'3", I currently weigh between 170-180 lbs, kind of thin. At my largest, I was close to 220 lbs but that was all muscle weight. And that required pretty much living in a gym for 2+ years straight.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2012-11-25 at 10:17 PM.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Deleted
    Why would I? Seriously, I know exactly how unhealthy it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
    I think his point is that being underweight is often considered a good thing, especially in places like the U.S., and people are actually ENCOURAGED to be unhealthily skinny, while people who are even only slightly overweight are told to lose weight and are treated as second class people.
    Exactly.

I never said that being too skinny is the lesser evil from an objective point of view; yet if you consider the social factors, I'm sure most people would prefer it given the choice.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I don't know about "underlying problem" but I know it's basically impossible for me to gain weight. If I'm not working out, I'm full at about 1500 Cal per day. If I am working out (cardio, weight lifting, etc), I get up to more like 3500. I just don't feel the need to eat more than that. It's not any aversion to food at all (those who know me on here will vouch for that).

I'm about 6'3", I currently weigh between 170-180 lbs, kind of thin. At my largest, I was close to 220 lbs but that was all muscle weight.
    It's very possible for you to put on weight, you just need to up your calorie intake significantly and keep it consistent.