Deleted

SSD what do I need to know?

So I made up my mind, I am getting an SSD in January, but what do I need to know?

Which brand is good?

Are the loading times really THAT much faster?

How many GB is ideal? I think around 120 myself.

depends on what your planning to do.

only put windows and 1-2 games max on it?
    or you wanna have everything on the SSD?

also yes depending on the SSD the will be 1000x faster with loading and writing data.
    not sure but i remember a little time ago i read a arcticle about em. showing the loaded and writ 500MB a second.... thats fast!
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4...4841599821.jpg the boy that will forever be named the HHD wiper. R.I.P

Samsung and Intel are both good, OCZ is decent but dependant on specific drives, the Vertex4 for eg is a good one.

Trust me once you go SSD you never go back, there really is a noticeable difference in the load times between a mechanical hdd and an ssd.

120(8) is the standard really, you have enough space to fit windows and programs, and *insert choice of game here* and then some.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wrathblade View Post
    depends on what your planning to do.

only put windows and 1-2 games max on it?
    or you wanna have everything on the SSD?

also yes depending on the SSD the will be 1000x faster with loading and writing data.
    not sure but i remember a little time ago i read a arcticle about em. showing the loaded and writ 500MB a second.... thats fast!
    Yeah, Windows , browser, and a game or 1-2. Perhaps Skype.

Deleted
    Feed him twice a day.

Deleted
    1) Make sure you have a SATA cable to connect it with.

2) Samsung 830/840, Crucial m4 (great price/performance/reliability).

3) Yes.

4) 128GB is pefectly fine, I'd say 256GB is ideal if you have a lot of games and it's less micromanaging.

OCZ are the most hailed within my circuit, but as long as they're a decent read/write of ~500, you should be fine with what ever you find

15+ Year Old Account
    Samsung is a good brand. The load times are very helpfully and noticeable. Loading windows and games are much faster, in bgs and etc. I get in the game before everyone else. 120g is good, but I suggest go higher if you can.

Also you need to figure out how you are going to instal windows(or other os) and keep your data that you need on your pc.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Samsung is a good brand. The load times are very helpfully and noticeable. Loading windows and games are much faster, in bgs and etc. I get in the game before everyone else. 120g is good, but I suggest go higher if you can.

Also you need to figure out how you are going to instal windows(or other os) and keep your data that you need on your pc.
    Oh that's NP really have 2 external harddrives.

if you have windows 7 you can install windows without overwriting your OS. it will just install windows and put everything els in a map called old.windows.
    seeing your going to install windows on a SSD while the HDD is also in the computer it might be a good idea to just backup your HDD ( put everything you wanna keep on a external hd ect.
    then formate your HDD and install your new fresh windows on ya SSD. then copy the backuped data back later.
    ( don't forget to backup your fresh windows install for later )
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4...4841599821.jpg the boy that will forever be named the HHD wiper. R.I.P

I have a crucial m4 and there latest firmware update has me thinking about getting one of their drives in the future. It is not compatible with motherboards that have eufi bios. Well that is bad in of itself but there only warning about it was inside the pdf notes towards the end in one brief sentence. Now it does "work" with my gigabytes efui bios but if I change anything in my bios my system will not recognize it and I have to do a power flash to the drive so the system can see my os drive again.

So from a crucial m4 fanboy (bought 2 one desktop and laptop) get the samsung 840pro. It is the ssd drive that wet dreams are made of. And who the cluck makes a ssd enthusiast drive and not have compatibility with eufi bios. Simply unacceptable.
    Last edited by chadashcroft22; 2012-11-26 at 01:57 AM.

Deleted
    Okay

So from this website:

http://www.informatique.nl/?M=USL&G=559

I get the Samsung 830 128GB Desktop kit?
    Or the 840?

samsung 840pro

128gb http://www.informatique.nl/529893/sa...pro-128gb.html
    256gb http://www.informatique.nl/529894/sa...pro-256gb.html

If you have the money go for the 256gb cause 128 gets full fast with a couple games and windows install.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Okay

So from this website:

http://www.informatique.nl/?M=USL&G=559

I get the Samsung 830 128GB Desktop kit?
    Or the 840?

830, the 840 is made from lesser quality nand

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    830, the 840 is made from lesser quality nand
    What what?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    What what?
    840 is worse then 830, though 840 pro is better then 830. So it goes 840 pro>830>840
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Deleted
    840 is worse then 830, though 840 pro is better then 830. So it goes 840 pro>830>840
    Well that's an odd thing to do for Smasung.

10+ Year Old Account
    the standard 840 is an attempt to sell SSDs cheaper but retain the high profit margin in them, so they are using lower quality high bulk nand memory in them

with SSDs i would wait a while before getting any new one that just came out, SSDs have their own problems and buying one that just came out means you dont know if there are any problems with them yet or not

i would look at the Samsung 830, Crucial M4, Intel 520

the vertex4 is a solid drive, but OCZ is not, they may not be around in 5 years to continue offering support