Thread: Lasik Surgery

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Lasik Surgery

I am seriously considering having this procedure done because I am pretty sick of wearing glasses and don't particularly care for the way they look. I am a bit nervous about it though, not because of the procedure itself or the cost but the possible side effects. I have done hours of online research about lasik and found all kinds of dissatisfied people complaining about permanent dry eyes, halos, starbursts, double vision, and reduced night vision. Even though the success rate is supposedly close to 98% it still seems pretty damn risky but maybe I am overthinking it and letting the vocal minority strike fear into me when realistically, the procedure should go just fine.

Has anyone here had lasik surgery? How did it go?

Quote Originally Posted by Wamphyri View Post
    I am seriously considering having this procedure done because I am pretty sick of wearing glasses and don't particularly care for the way they look. I am a bit nervous about it though, not because of the procedure itself or the cost but the possible side effects. I have done hours of online research about lasik and found all kinds of dissatisfied people complaining about permanent dry eyes, halos, starbursts, double vision, and reduced night vision. Even though the success rate is supposedly close to 98% it still seems pretty damn risky but maybe I am overthinking it and letting the vocal minority strike fear into me when realistically, the procedure should go just fine.

Had it done 10-12 years ago (so did my brother) and wouldn't want to go back to wearing glasses ever again. The quality over laser/equipment had increased tremendously since then. (i got 20/20 and a year after i think the standard they gave ppl was 10/20 ie 'super' vision)

The people upset will always be more vocal and reading a strangers response on-line (good or bad) needs to be taken with a grain of salt......you dont know who they are.(would you trust a complete stranger on the street? why online)

That being said i would pick a very reputable place to go to.... don't cheapen out for a few hundred dollars. Which area do you live in? Maybe someone (on mmo-c) has had it done near you.

I reside in the Kansas City, MO area. Thinking about Discover Vision Centers considering they are the only ones I have ever been to for anything eye related.

15+ Year Old Account
    Got a friend that had one, went just fine.
    As will all surgery there is a risk but it is extremly small with such a simple surgery.
    I wont wish you good luck with the surgery (cos it will go just fine), but I wish you a good luck on a speedy recovery

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    I did it, turned out great. I should recommended you go to a well known place and have a trust worthy person drive you since when it is done you will have 24 hours of not being able to see, and a week of recovery.

It's strange because little things I never noticed I see now, like the inside of a shower when it is full of steam, the Space invader in the moon, and a few other things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    I did it, turned out great. I should recommended you go to a well known place and have a trust worthy person drive you since when it is done you will have 24 hours of not being able to see, and a week of recovery.

It's strange because little things I never noticed I see now, like the inside of a shower when it is full of steam, the Space invader in the moon, and a few other things.
    I just had mine done last Saturday. Was pretty much a joke of a procedure, in an out in under an hour. I dunno about not being able to see for 24 hours and a week of recovery though... I was watching TV by 2am the night of (surgery was at 10:30am). And the "recovery" is barely anything. It just feels like you have sand in your eyes for a few days, I was back to work Tuesday (3 days later)

Great to wake up and not have to fumble knocking my glasses off the nightstand anymore!

If it factors into your decision making process at all: the US Navy pays for its potential pilots (who must have 20/20 vision) to undergo such corrective eye surgery if needed, but only with providers they approve of, and candidates are automatically denied if they received surgery that was not referred by the Navy. If you can find information on their approved providers, and possibly the criteria they use to select them, that might give you additional information that you can use in selecting a doctor or treatment facility.

I got it last year, my vison during the day is amazing, during night it's still good, be warned it is really painful
    Whether the world's greatest gnats or the world's greatest heroes, you're still only mortal!

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWiggles View Post
    I got it last year, my vison during the day is amazing, during night it's still good, be warned it is really painful
    I didn't feel a thing, but it did feel strange as f***.

Umm....i really dont buy the 24hrs without seeing. I got mine a decade ago and i had minimal downtime and no 'real' pain. The procedure is painless (they put 'freezing' agent in your eye) but after it wears off you have high sensitivity to light (recommend sun glasses to get home or keep eyes closed) and sensitivity to air (it was the middle of summer when i got it so i had a burning sensation). SO its more of a discomfort then pain. My doctor recommended trying to sleep after the procedure so i slept less the night before so i could fall asleep after. When i woke up after a short 1-2hr nap the burning discomfort was gone andd light sensitivity was reduced by a lot (especially indoors).

Last thing was to avoid any physical workouts for 1-2 weeks and contact sports for a month. And he recommended wearing eye protection while playing sports till i felt like normal (2-3months) escpically sports that use a ball.

15+ Year Old Account
    My sister got it and her eyes are good, I thought about getting it myself because my eyes are really bad. Without my contacts everything is blurry.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    My father did it a while ago, he has to use a droplet every once in a while.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wamphyri View Post

Google Kathy Griffin and Lasik. It's why I won't have it. She paid a pricey, well-respected doctor to do her surgery and he damn-near zapped out her eyeball and now she's legally blind in that eye.

I didn't feel a thing, but it did feel strange as f***.
    lucky you, it felt like someone shoved pepper spray soaked sand deep into my eyes, thankfully there is always Vicodin at my dads house.
    Whether the world's greatest gnats or the world's greatest heroes, you're still only mortal!

Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    Google Kathy Griffin and Lasik. .

So what? Plenty of people have adverse reactions to just about everything on planet earth. Everytime there's a large scale vaccination there usually at least 1 death due to reaction from the fillers in the vaccine. I bet your mom/dad didn't hesitate 1 sec before that nurse stuck the needle in your arm.

The OP needs to visit his local clinic and have a preliminary test done where they measure the thickness of your eye and eye pressure to even see if your a candidate to the surgery. Then when he's educated he can weigh the pros and cons and find the best clinic.

Deleted
    I've not done it yet even though my boss is pushing me to do so. Just remember one very important golden rule: the price does matter. Fuck the guarrantee that some companies give you, if it goes wrong YOU'RE the one that's screwed and money won't give you back your vision. Go for quality and care, look for companies that are semi-high on prices (1600+ euro's an eye) and see if they provide care after it's done this is very important.

Some surgery methods are much safer than others, but they might not be able to be performed on you becuase you might have too few "skin" on your eyeball.

Brother got it. He loves it.

He said it didn't hurt, but it did definitely feel strange.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Quote Originally Posted by Sighz View Post
    I've spoken to my eye doctor about this. I don't know if what he said was true, but he claimed some people became night blind (can't see shit at night) after the surgery.
    Not saying "DON'T DO IT!", but just take it into consideration.
    I had mine done about 7 years ago, at the time there were two options, one had a high risk of night blindness the other did not. perhaps you only had the one option with your clinic.

---------- Post added 2012-11-26 at 02:08 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    Brother got it. He loves it.

He said it didn't hurt, but it did definitely feel strange.
    it doesn't hurt, I don't really remember how it felt because i was so focused on how it looked, when my eyes were cut open it looked like i was looking at the world from underwater, rather interesting.
    Proud member of the zero infraction club (lets see how long this can last =)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sighz View Post
    I've spoken to my eye doctor about this. I don't know if what he said was true, but he claimed some people became night blind (can't see shit at night) after the surgery.
    Not saying "DON'T DO IT!", but just take it into consideration.
    This and there's another risk called "Higher Order Aberrations", i'm not exactly sure if things have changed over the last few years but as far as i know this can never be fixed and you'll be stuck with it for the rest of your life.

My mother had it done, went absolutely fine. There was a recovery period, sure, but there's been no long-lasting negative side effects.