Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Too realistic = not enjoyable are you serious ?

    Hey,

    So i checked the you tube for videos and i found a video that says that too realistic movement isn't enjoyable.

    Isn't that what is enjoyable, i mean i know i know i am old gamer, started playing in 1993 or 1992, i really do not remember was a long time but back then wanted to be as realistic as possible.

    Give for example Baldurs gate, you had night and day cycle, you had to sleep because you will get tired debuff.

    In city bulding they wanted to make it as realistic as possible.

    But apparently now being too realistic is kinda a bad thing, anyone knows what that is.

    I kinda loved that in game like morrowind you have to train to be good at it, to spend money on your "education", you had to work hard to achieve something, for example i had to work my butt to get mastrer title of the fighters guild.

    Or in games like gothic 1 and gothic 2 that made a you weak like a child at the beginning but you get more powerfull as the game progressed, and you became totally badass at the end game, you nearly invincible. That kinda was realistic.

    So why nowdays things that are not realistic considered more fun then things considered realistic.

    The great example would dragon age 2, as a warrior you atack with you two handed sword if it was light as a feather, as a mage you are doing this anime style moves which are totally break from realism of original game.

    Anyone have any thoughts on this ?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Seweryn View Post
    So why nowdays things that are not realistic considered more fun then things considered realistic.
    The reason that realism causes issue with fun relate to the way the brain recognises things. The closer something is to reality, the more the brain considers it actual reality, which is all well and good until flaws pop up (e.g. walking through other characters), these flaws become more obvious the more realistic the reproduction is.

    The cartoon like production of WoW allows a lot of in game flaws to go 'under the radar'. In movie terms this is 'suspension of disbelief'.

  3. #3
    I play video games to escape reality so having two cartoonish looking characters with over sized swords and fireballs is way more entertaining than a marine with a rifle.

    I mean honestly it's the reason I've always despised final fantasy 7 and 8 because they took away the masterful fantasy and turned the franchise into a emo tweeny love story.

    That said I have no issues with realistic looking scenery or weather I just wan't realism to stay the hell away from my character itself because human realism is quite boring and unimaginative.
    Last edited by skrump; 2012-09-23 at 12:43 PM.
    "I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the united states of America
    and to the republic for which it stands, one nation divided under many gods, Indecisive, with ignorance and greed for all
    "Maybe if our kids recited the truth before class they would grow to avoid the mistakes of their forefathers."

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Seweryn View Post
    and you became totally badass at the end game, you nearly invincible. That kinda was realistic.
    Ehhhh, what?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    I play video games to escape reality so having two cartoonish looking characters with over sized swords and fireballs is way more entertaining than a marine with a rifle.

    I mean honestly it's the reason I've always despised final fantasy 7 and 8 because they took away the masterful fantasy and turned the franchise into a emo tweeny love story.

    That said I have no issues with realistic looking scenery or weather I just wan't realism to stay the hell away from my character itself because human realism is quite boring and unimaginative.
    There is kinda difference be between fantasy being unrealistic, the fantasy is giving something that you cannot do but in reasonable fashion, i mean for example you in dungeons and dragons settings, you can use spells but you kinda to able to do that you need to spend a lot of your time learning this. For example in baldurs gate or neverwinter you could be a priest and cast healing spells and use priest scroll because you have thought that all those years, the same with mages you have going to special school for mages,
    There is a characters in BG called edwin he is a superb mage but he kinda had to learn his skills by learning from the masters, and he struggle all his young life to cast his first spell, the same for example with fable 1 when you kinda arrive at the hero school as a young kid but to able to fight you need to be all grown up.

    This is what i kinda do not like about new games, they kinda are knowing their all their skills from the thin air.

    I kinda what to feel i kinda i am that powerfull because i worked very hard for that.

    ---------- Post added 2012-09-23 at 03:20 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    Ehhhh, what?
    Have you read all that i have written mate, i said you are now body at the beginning, even a rat can kill you but at the end game you can take all city, that is what i am talking about this is called progression.

  6. #6
    I went to work every day at the docks in Shenmue waiting for a video game to happen and it never did. less realism please, I have an actual life in which to cook and clean and poop and work.

  7. #7
    That's a retarded opinion.


    Realism exists in various degrees in video games. It depends entirely on the game in question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Then the [MMORPG] genre started attracting more players. These players wanted more of a "game" and less of a "world" [...]

  8. #8
    You really seams to not get my point i am not talking about everything be totally realistic i am talking about difference between totally unrealistic and too realistic.

    For example dragon age origins was kinda realistic to a degree but da 2 kinda isn't with all those anime style combat.

  9. #9
    For all the b!+ches - funniest page ever! <3 :_D
    https://www.facebook.com/CynicalDaily

  10. #10
    Bloodsail Admiral
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,234
    not really sure but personally I don't like this whole everything has to be realistic when it comes to graphics and thats about it, I much prefer the style of counterstrike when you can stand ontop of eachother and all that too battlefield/CoD where its going more towards realistic graphic styles.

    regarding your point of movement, I rather have fluid/responsive movement then the movement being slow and clunky cause its "realistic"
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier, TF2
    "You were good son, real good; maybe even the best."
    Quote Originally Posted by Larath
    www.predictthescore.net 18263957 is the code to join the MMO-Champion Mini-League.

  11. #11
    Stood in the Fire Satanous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    384
    It varies with the type of game, games like skyrim, CoD, bf all fall into that area where the closer to real life (without loosing the dragons and such) is a good thing that lets you immerse yourself. but there are games you don't want that like dragon age, god of war ect were its all about just having fun and kicking ass.

    pertaining to movement the more realistic the better nothing ticks me off more then when i try to shoot someone and they wiggle like a freakin guinea pig to avoid it.

  12. #12
    would you want to wait 8 hours until your character gets rid of its "tired" debuff? because thats realistic.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Satanous View Post
    CoD, bf all fall into that area where the closer to real life is a good thing that lets you immerse yourself.
    Except those two games aren't trying to get "as close to real" as possible beyond their looks. The word that you are looking for is "authentic". They want to be fast paced enjoyable arcade shooters that resembles reality so people would feel connected to it.

    Games you should have brought up are games like Arma, all sort of racing and flying simulations and such. Those strive for realism because they try to simulate it for people who enjoy such things.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

    "People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

  14. #14
    The Lightbringer shise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Spaniard in Copenhagen
    Posts
    3,860
    A have a good example of how realism graphics are a complete failure at the current stage (but let's see alter on, when our computers can handle it and when they manage to include proper physics)


    Let's say racing games, let's pick the new F1 2012 codemasters vs an old one like Rfactor.
    Where F1 codemasters looks incredible real and Rfactor is not that bad at all... Codemasters game is a bunch of shit when it comes to drive (the MINA point of the game). It totally feels like it's the track driving you while RFactor offers lower graphics indeed but an amazing driving feeling... it's a simulator!

    Same goes with MMO and other games. I don't care if my toons looks extremly real and walks like a person if I can't really control it as good as I should be abel to. You shouldn't really fight to move a toon since it's supposed to be you.

  15. #15
    Dreadlord The Casualty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Flint, Michigan
    Posts
    947
    Quote Originally Posted by Seweryn View Post
    There is kinda difference be between fantasy being unrealistic, the fantasy is giving something that you cannot do but in reasonable fashion, i mean for example you in dungeons and dragons settings, you can use spells but you kinda to able to do that you need to spend a lot of your time learning this. For example in baldurs gate or neverwinter you could be a priest and cast healing spells and use priest scroll because you have thought that all those years, the same with mages you have going to special school for mages,
    There is a characters in BG called edwin he is a superb mage but he kinda had to learn his skills by learning from the masters, and he struggle all his young life to cast his first spell, the same for example with fable 1 when you kinda arrive at the hero school as a young kid but to able to fight you need to be all grown up.

    This is what i kinda do not like about new games, they kinda are knowing their all their skills from the thin air.

    I kinda what to feel i kinda i am that powerfull because i worked very hard for that.

    ---------- Post added 2012-09-23 at 03:20 PM ----------



    Have you read all that i have written mate, i said you are now body at the beginning, even a rat can kill you but at the end game you can take all city, that is what i am talking about this is called progression.
    That is why it is confusing. Realism and paths of progression don't have anything to do with one another. When I saw the title, I was thinking about how the character interacts with the world around them that makes a game seem real/not real. Levelling up is a concept to represent growth and can be done in any variety of ways or not at all without even addressing realism - you and I obviously do not do that in the world we live in.

  16. #16
    It is a matter of tastes. But sometimes realism doesn't bring the best gameplay.

    Take WoW for example. In the lore Westfall is gigantic, but in WoW it is condensed to the relevant points only, because the developers figured huge empty spaces kinda get boring. In reality, we have a lot of those.

  17. #17
    I actualy enjoy Arma 2, just because it is only modern shooter that isnt arcade like BF or CoD.

  18. #18
    For me it depends. In an RPG I'm not looking for realism, as usually when an RPG goes for realism it tends to become tedious. I also don't like when an FPS game goes for realism, or authenticity, or whatever - I can't stand BF/COD, I'll take an older FPS game any day with a health meter that you can actually see, health items, increased damage pick-ups, etc. I think that's the genre where the whole realism or whatever you want to call it has really ruined the genre for me.

  19. #19
    The Lightbringer Skelington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    UGUU
    Posts
    3,656
    Things like tired and hungry debuffs are just a hassle. Realistic graphics don't age well at all and it's easy to find flaws.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seweryn View Post
    Have you read all that i have written mate, i said you are now body at the beginning, even a rat can kill you but at the end game you can take all city, that is what i am talking about this is called progression.
    What's realistic about soloing an entire city simply because you beat the big bad guy? GW2 has a much more realistic form of progression with the level scaling dealy. While you're still stronger at 80 than you are at 6, you don't just cleave through everything you see like WoW, where killing the lich king also means you can one-shot dragons with a shovel.
    Last edited by Skelington; 2012-09-23 at 06:55 PM.

  20. #20
    I don't know about you, but when I evaluate a game I do not ask first whether it is realistic or unrealistic...I ask whether it is FUN.
    "Brevity is...wit"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •