Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

North Korea archeologists discover unicorn lair

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...ed-north-korea
    http://dvice.com/archives/2012/12/north-korea-dis.php

"Normally, North Korea's official state news agency is the place to go for reports ranging from the reclusive totalitarian state's unparalleled scientific achievements to the limitless love which its inhabitants reserve for their successive leaders.

Yet in what appears to be a genuine world exclusive, the inimitable Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) has now broken the incredible news that archaeologists in Pyongyang have discovered a unicorn's lair.

Or rather, the report says that they have "recently reconfirmed" the lair of one of the unicorns ridden by the ancient Korean King Tongmyong, founder of a kingdom which ruled parts of China and the Korean peninsula from the the 3rd century BC to 7th century AD.

The KCNA goes on to state that the location happens to be 200 metres from a temple in the North Korean capital, adding: "A rectangular rock carved with words "Unicorn Lair" stands in front of the lair."

"The carved words are believed to date back to the period of Koryo Kingdom (918-1392)," says the report.

Archaeologists from the Academy of Social Sciences at North Korea's History Institute were credited with making the discovery."

" Lair of King Tongmyong's Unicorn Reconfirmed in DPRK

Pyongyang, November 29 (KCNA) -- Archaeologists of the History Institute of the DPRK Academy of Social Sciences have recently reconfirmed a lair of the unicorn rode by King Tongmyong, founder of the Koguryo Kingdom (B.C. 277-A.D. 668).

The lair is located 200 meters from the Yongmyong Temple in Moran Hill in Pyongyang City. A rectangular rock carved with words "Unicorn Lair" stands in front of the lair. The carved words are believed to date back to the period of Koryo Kingdom (918-1392).

Jo Hui Sung, director of the Institute, told KCNA:

"Korea's history books deal with the unicorn, considered to be ridden by King Tongmyong, and its lair.

The Sogyong (Pyongyang) chapter of the old book 'Koryo History' (geographical book), said: Ulmil Pavilion is on the top of Mt. Kumsu, with Yongmyong Temple, one of Pyongyang's eight scenic spots, beneath it. The temple served as a relief palace for King Tongmyong, in which there is the lair of his unicorn.

The old book 'Sinjungdonggukyojisungnam' (Revised Handbook of Korean Geography) complied in the 16th century wrote that there is a lair west of Pubyok Pavilion in Mt. Kumsu.

The discovery of the unicorn lair, associated with legend about King Tongmyong, proves that Pyongyang was a capital city of Ancient Korea as well as Koguryo Kingdom.""

Edit:
    Seems it wasn't a unicorn lair after all
    http://io9.com/5964879/no-the-north-...ce-of-unicorns
    Last edited by mmoc994dcc48c2; 2012-12-03 at 12:07 PM.

So... no alive/fossil unicorns... DAMN YOU MISLEADING TITLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    Should be taken as a joke as soon as you see "North Korea". Not that they consider it a joke. It's pretty funny, the timing of this article, as if they're satirizing themselves just like Kim Jong Un being the world's sexiest man.

Deleted
    Not a misleading title, as you can read in article, the archeologists from North Korea say they found a lair, not unicorns. It's simple logic that the lair belonged to unicorns though, what else could it belong to? It even said on the entrance "unicorn lair".

I feel so deceived
    They just found a hole called "Unicorn Lair"...

still the best thread title i've seen to date
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    Not a misleading title, as you can read in article, the archeologists from North Korea say they found a lair, not unicorns. It's simple logic that the lair belonged to unicorns though, what else could it belong to? It even said on the entrance "unicorn lair".
    Yeah... and written there some 3-7 centuries after King Tongmyong's kingdom dissolved...

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Everybody knows its supposed to be propaganda
    Wouldn't it be funny if it was an actual fact and not propaganda?
    ∞=0
    0/2 = 0 , ∞/2 = ∞
    2/0 = error , 2/∞ = error
    0*2 = 0 , ∞*2 = ∞

Deleted
    I wonder if the floor has any colours...

Deleted
    The Bronies were getting excited for a moment there.

Man that would suck. Having a government that makes such awesomely hilarious jokes, yet being too scared to laugh.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

This is awesome! I can't believe North Korea has found the secret to saving humanity from itself. We should bow to our new overlords. Long Live the Unicorns!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    Haha well think about it. You are told that dinosaurs used to exist at some point in the past, same as sabertooth tigers, etc... What if you were taught since your childhood that unicorns are also an extinct species? You would obviously believe it too. It's pretty scary that once the regime in North Korea collapses, the people will get to the outside world and claim that unicorns exist. Gonna be so awkward.

Unless unicorns really used to exist though, and we will be the dumb ones
    Thing is, there's evidence of dinosaurs existing, but not of unicorns existing. :b Even if they were taught that when they were kids, refuting their belief that unicorns existed, would be rather easy.

10+ Year Old Account
    So..... They found a lair, and just randomly put the word unicorn in front of it? Why the hell did they pick unicorn!? They could have called it a dragon lair or something.

Edit: Never mind, I see that there was already a sign in front of the lair, so obviously it is true. As signs don't lie.

The title should read "North Korea Discovers an Already Discovered Unicorn Lair Sign"
    And then the article should simply say "Sign was made by North Korea"
    Last edited by Waaldo; 2012-12-01 at 01:14 PM.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

Deleted
    More preposterous lies from the worlds most perfect totalitarian government. They said that when Kim Jong Il was born the birds of Korea literally sang his name and, apparently, while I was searching for a source on that, they claimed that bears and magpies mourned for him upon his death... (http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8080E720120109)

It's all just building up the cult of leader worship and the deliberately uninformed population's superstitions linked to it to ensure that the Party's power remains absolute and irrefutable.

Deleted
    Lol.... just Lol....

Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    Thing is, there's evidence of dinosaurs existing, but not of unicorns existing. :b Even if they were taught that when they were kids, refuting their belief that unicorns existed, would be rather easy.
    Thing is, you have no proof that unicorns don't exist. So how are you going to convince them. You can't just say "well we know dinosaurs exist, so unicorns dont"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Loltharr View Post
    Thing is, you have no proof that unicorns don't exist. So how are you going to convince them. You can't just say "well we know dinosaurs exist, so unicorns dont"
    So far there has been no evidence, same thing for dragons, so it's safe to assume that they don't exist, atleast not now, and considering they were invented for children's books(I think) there's really no point in believing that they actually existed.

This also applies to dragons. When I was a kid, I believed they existed, obviously, I stopped believing that because it makes no sense.

Same thing for Santa, the Bunny thing, Tooth Fairy, etc, etc, etc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    So far there has been no evidence, same thing for dragons, so it's safe to assume that they don't exist, atleast not now, and considering they were invented for children's books(I think) there's really no point in believing that they actually existed.

This also applies to dragons. When I was a kid, I believed they existed, obviously, I stopped believing that because it makes no sense.

Same thing for Santa, the Bunny thing, Tooth Fairy, etc, etc, etc.
    Now Dragons are based on fact, I bet people found those giant reptile bones deep under the Earth and came up with an idea. They were not that far off if you think about it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Now Dragons are based on fact, I bet people found those giant reptile bones deep under the Earth and came up with an idea. They were not that far off if you think about it.
    Yeah, well, that is true, I guess I shouldn't have used the dragon example, but the rest is pretty straight forward on why it's not possible to exist, but that's just me. =p