10+ Year Old Account

City of Heroes - It's last day

As I write this I have already logged into the game I love so much my last time. I write this in tears of all the memories and friends I've made in the game. I already have said my good byes on the CoX forums. As part of the CoX community since june 2007, before I started wow..In fact I only got into WoW because CoX was my first mmo.. I am going to miss it so dearly. Many of you may only have heard of the game. But it's unique, and one of the best games I have ever played.

I only wish all of you could of experienced the game. I really do. I want to keep this short. I just want to see everyones thoughts on this.

I know I won't be purchasing anymore NCsoft products after this..

I'm online taking to the skies one last time.

I'm going to miss this game so much.

/em salute

Been playing since 2004. Still the best MMO I have played, accompanied by the best dev team and best community.

If only I could have found an SG that gave a fuck about clearing content...

*sigh*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    If only I could have found an SG that gave a fuck about clearing content...

*sigh*
    Yeah those are few and far between LOL.

"Weep for your aching heart, smile for a heart that aches."

15+ Year Old Account
    10 minutes, never played it, but it's sad to see an MMO go. Damn NCSoft, watching a dev stream of it for the next 10 minutes, farewell CoH.

10+ Year Old Account
    Woah, that game looked awesome o.o Why was it shutdown? Did the game not make profit anymore? And if so, aren't there any (not really a topic for MMO-C, but just wondering...) p-servers for that game?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Terahertz View Post
    Woah, that game looked awesome o.o Why was it shutdown? Did the game not make profit anymore? And if so, aren't there any (not really a topic for MMO-C, but just wondering...) p-servers for that game?
    It wasn't making huge amounts of profit, but certainly wasn't running to a loss. NCSoft simply said they were closing it and the developer studio (costing 80 jobs) due to a 'realignment of company focus.'

There are efforts underway to 'create' a replacement, be it through emulation or by setting up a fan made version of the game (with a different IP etc.) There's also a concerted effort to get Disney to buy the game now that it's closed. That's a bit of a longshot, doubly so considering NCSoft aren't renowned for selling their defunct intellectual property

#savecoh

CoH was my first MMO, I even met my wife while playing back in 2005. So in the extremely unlikely chance anyone from back then reads this: thanks to the Contingency, Biocircuit, Ether Knight, Target, Tainted Greek, Pvt Ringkobing, Sexy Lady, Icelock and everyone else I ever punched evil in the face with
    Last edited by mmoc0fe7b0b3bd; 2012-12-01 at 11:00 AM.

Deleted
    Pity they closed it. Thought they'd keep it alive after that petition and whatnot.

City of Heroes was the first MMO I ever played, back from 2005 till 2007 I think... Good times, I really liked the game, and made several friends through it. Community was mostly nice, at least as far as I remember (I recall player-made costume competitions, general knowledge competitions, etc under that big statue in the main/starting zone, and whatnot). RIP CoH, you were awesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't really like it...much preferred champions online/ dcuo >.<

Never played it since it's not really my flavor of mmo, but I remember how I felt when the MUD I played basically died, with all the community gone and can imagine how I'll feel when WoW is gone.

I feel =( for you guys, hopefully someone will create a good alternative for you guys or pick up the ip and go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by arcadius View Post
    It wasn't making huge amounts of profit, but certainly wasn't running to a loss. NCSoft simply said they were closing it and the developer studio (costing 80 jobs) due to a 'realignment of company focus.'
    There's more to it than that.

CoH was actually doing better than it was previously. They had just launched a successful expansion pack and their revenue was up. They also had a content patch almost ready for release right when NCSoft dropped the hammer on them. And this announcement came from out of fucking nowhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's more to it than that.

CoH was actually doing better than it was previously. They had just launched a successful expansion pack and their revenue was up. They also had a content patch almost ready for release right when NCSoft dropped the hammer on them. And this announcement came from out of fucking nowhere.

Yeah. I am in so much regret that it isn't up and running and that I can't experience it anymore. I hope someone ends up buying it out. Or the pservers get up..But both are not highly likely. The pserver is more likely.

Too many memories. I miss it so much already.

$50 says Gamersfirst or Perfect World buys it.

Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    $50 says Gamersfirst or Perfect World buys it.
    Perfect World has Champions Online, I doubt they'd acquire CoH too.

I could see Gamers First going for it though.

Deleted
    Never played the game. But I am sorry you lost your game, I don't think I know how it feels but I suspect it definitely isn't good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Perfect World has Champions Online, I doubt they'd acquire CoH too.

I could see Gamers First going for it though.

I hope someone does. However I doubt NCsoft wants to sell it. They have no intent..But if they do, I may eventually play another NCsoft game. Right now a huge chunk of CoX players refuse to EVER play another NCsoft game. Even if they sold the IP they may never. NC has created a vast chunk of thousands of players who boycott their products now.