Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    He isn't lying. He is talking about WoWs retention rate. Not population relative to release.

Its like 50 million people have tried wow at some point but only 8 million people play it.
    And 2.4 million people have tried swtor at some point but only 500 thousand people play it.

---------- Post added 2012-12-06 at 01:34 PM ----------

You mean 4.

Also, f2pers who choose to not buying action bars of the GTN are shooting themselves in the foot.
    Very true.

I know a few people are trying to hang on, but SWTOR is a total failure and a wasted opportunity for me. Just my opinion, but limited F2P, full F2P or full subscription isn't going to work. This thing is dead.

Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Zokonorb View Post
    Strange, last time I checked WoW's population has NOT dropped by 80%, way to try and put a positive spin on SWTORs massive loss of players and lying through your teeth in the process.

So, because they don't break the game they don't count, through magic I assume? I mean the game works, it just lacks many features that most if not all modern MMO's have while at the same time sporting the biggest game budget to date and costing the same as other games. But hey the game "works" so therefore these issues are null and void.

Strange that you didn't read my entire reply. But as said, by your standard of 80%, WoW is considered a failure in your eyes because it's retention rate is actually about the same. As it is with pretty much every MMO on the market. It's a pretty standard retention rate throughout the industry.

And again, read the post. I said, and it's been on this site that the number of people that have subbed with WoW is around 40,000,000 people. Sure, not all at once, but throughout it's lifetime. Now the population is probably a little less than 10,000,000, thus probably around a 77% loss of retention of customers. So by your standard, a failure. So no, I'm not lying through my teeth. Do your research.

And by game breaking, it was probably the wrong wording, no they don't break the game, but more of a deal breaker type thing. But based on your response, I kind of think you didn't bother to actually read my post and are just posting stuff to be negative for no other reason than to be negative.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post

Most companies, especially one so money hungry, don't stick around with 'colossal failures'. I might not agree with anything they do and literally hate their company, but I will admit they know how to make money for themselves. They don't have a tendency to beat unprofitable, dead horses.
    The reason its F2P is because its a failure, if you doubt that then you are seriously deluded. They set the game up with a subscription model, customers realized how bad the game is and quit. If the game had a decent amount of subscribers (a successful game..) then it wouldn't be F2P now and the player base wouldn't have been so low.

No doubt there are people like yourself who like the game and that's fine but as a whole its been a terrible release from Bioware, the people in charge of this game should take a long look at themselves and probably leave the gaming industry because the end product was nothing short of embarrassing (considering the IP, budget, marketing etc etc)

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flimsy View Post
    The reason its F2P is because its a failure, if you doubt that then you are seriously deluded. They set the game up with a subscription model, customers realized how bad the game is and quit. If the game had a decent amount of subscribers (a successful game..) then it wouldn't be F2P now and the player base wouldn't have been so low.
    I don't think that a company using a different method to make more money would ever be considered a failure. Sorry. Until they say that they have a net loss on this specific project, even then most of the problem would lie with poor budget management, I won't think that this is a failure. Sorry.

If you think that a game being F2P is the only criteria needed fo failure, you had better be prepared to think most games created are failues for the future.

I don't think that a company using a different method to make more money would ever be considered a failure. Sorry. Until they say that they have a net loss on this specific project, even then most of the problem would lie with poor budget management, I won't think that this is a failure. Sorry.

If you think that a game being F2P is the only criteria needed fo failure, you had better be prepared to think most games created are failues for the future.
    We get that you are a big fan of SWTOR, but even you must realise that this game has been a failure. They did not intend the subscription model to fail and end up needing to go F2P to keep the game alive. Of course it has been a financial failure. Just do some research.

I love games and I am not looking for any game to fail, but when it does, you need to be realistic and admit it.

Deleted

You just don't get my point. IF the game was a success there would be no need what so ever to even think of F2P because they would be getting plenty of revenue from monthly subscriptions. The only reason its F2P now is because they lost so many subscribers and they realized it would be better to profit from a different model.

I know you like the game but seriously you need to take of those glasses and look at it has a whole and stop being biased I don't know what to say if you seriously think the game has been a success. Delusion at its finest.

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zokonorb View Post
    I mean the game works, it just lacks many features that most if not all modern MMO's have while at the same time sporting the biggest game budget to date and costing the same as other games.
    Really wish people would stop repeating this talking point. It's simply not true. It's worse in some ways than the "300 million dollars" rumor.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluetarragon View Post
    We get that you are a big fan of SWTOR, but
    I know you like the game but seriously you need to take of those glasses and look at it has a whole and stop being biased I don't know what to say if you seriously think the game has been a success. Delusion at its finest.
    Hey look HK, I get my own people who don't have a clue! I feel special like you now.

I am looking at it as a whole, that's why I'm not continuing to bash it and say it's a failure. If I ere to continue having a narrow mind based on solely personal experience and anger I would be right with you. It's just not factual information, nor even a valid opinion if we are using qualifications for the judgment.

Failure is a state of permanence. If this game fails, that's the final status. So just literally speaking with the meaning of words, we cannot say "This game is a failure". You can choose to say it failed at specific things, which I will agree (like not meeting their initial goals, not being able to survive on a sub model). This is an entirely different concept than what you vehemently propose.

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    You just don't get my point. IF the game was a success there would be no need what so ever to even think of F2P because they would be getting plenty of revenue from monthly subscriptions. The only reason its F2P now is because they lost so many subscribers and they realized it would be better to profit from a different model.

Your concept and understanding of MMO pay models is obsolete.

Subscription-based models are dead. F2P is both better for the customer and more lucrative in the long term for businesses.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

Absolutely correct. They didn't think "Hey, I know let's go F2P to make even more money with our successful game". They thought "Oh shit, our game is a massive failure, the only option we have to try to save it is to go Free to Play".

Come on, take those blinkers off.....and work it out.

I am only posting as this is so obvious. Come on.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    And the community has been pretty clear from the start how they feel about the current space combat system. About 93% opposed it early on. Now I think just about everyone who was hoping for a JTL expansion announcement has quit/unsubbed.
    Honestly, I always took the flying missions as a good way to earn some extra EXP when I wasn't playing so actively. Also it was something refreshing to do between questing. People just want to whine about everything.

SWTOR goes down as the second biggest gaming blunder next to Warhammer and it's 'whoops we quadruple billed you' fiasco. Illum had possibilities but they did some completely idiotic things with it. The engine is outdated and subpar. It's now free to play less than a year after launch, and no matter how hard some fanboys want to try, there is no way to spin that positively. It was extremely over hyped and failed miserably.
    When Injustice becomes law, Rebellion becomes duty.

Hey look HK, I get my own people who don't have a clue! I feel special like you now.

I am looking at it as a whole, that's why I'm not continuing to bash it and say it's a failure. If I ere to continue having a narrow mind based on solely personal experience and anger I would be right with you. It's just not factual information, nor even a valid opinion if we are using qualifications for the judgment.

Failure is a state of permanence. If this game fails, that's the final status. So just literally speaking with the meaning of words, we cannot say "This game is a failure". You can choose to say it failed at specific things, which I will agree (like not meeting their initial goals, not being able to survive on a sub model). This is an entirely different concept than what you vehemently propose.
    OK. It has failed financially, commercially, in popularity, in size of subscriber-base and profitability compared to what they had expected and hoped. Is that better?

Quote Originally Posted by Profyrion View Post

Subscription-based models are dead. F2P is both better for the customer and more lucrative in the long term for businesses.
    Are you trying to convince yourself here? Because you're dead wrong.
    When Injustice becomes law, Rebellion becomes duty.

Deleted

Nobody makes the money blizzard makes with the subscriptions. They tried the same way WoW is successfull and failed. That's the reason they went F2P.

Look at actual studies from EA that shows only 30% percent of F2P-Players stay longer than one day. And another one showed only 8% out of them pay money for the game.

Come on dude, seriously!

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ea-70...-a-day/0106790

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    No, I'm simply stating facts. I'm sorry you're unable to deal with them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawt View Post
    SWTOR goes down as the second biggest gaming blunder next to Warhammer and it's 'whoops we quadruple billed you' fiasco. Illum had possibilities but they did some completely idiotic things with it. The engine is outdated and subpar. It's now free to play less than a year after launch, and no matter how hard some fanboys want to try, there is no way to spin that positively. It was extremely over hyped and failed miserably.
    Only one thing to describe the amount of stupid in the post I've quoted: Location USA

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2012-12-06 at 04:18 PM.

Deleted
    No, I'm simply stating facts. I'm sorry you're unable to deal with them.
    Anything to proof your oppinion? Are we not right that the subscription numbers from Swotor were below expactations, and if i remember right they were so bad they first even didn't announced them.

http://kotaku.com/5908338/star-wars-...00-subscribers Also speaks for the great success of Swotor...

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    My proof is: HEY, IDIOT. LOOK AROUND YOU.

Christ you people are fucking stupid.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2012-12-06 at 04:19 PM.

Deleted
    Really convincing arguments you have there. Impressing!