Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

Hypothetical world hunger solution

If you reduced the number of fat people, add in the amount of food we waste, we could stop world hunger.. (I'm stretching here but you get the idea)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...united-states/

Transportation is and pretty much has been for awhile the only thing preventing the resolution of world hunger.

And then America goes and gives more than twice as much developmental aid as any other country in the world
    WHERE DO THEY GET OFF?

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    And then America goes and gives more than twice as much developmental aid as any other country in the world
    WHERE DO THEY GET OFF?
    http://www.gatesfoundation.org/annua...reign-aid.aspx

in percent of gdp, one way to look at it, the us does not seem too high on foreign aid. What are your numbers?

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    There's enough food on this planet to make everyone a fat ass. So focus your hate somewhere else.

Deleted
    WHERE DO THEY GET OFF?
    funny how the USA is portrayed as a country or "several countries because its so big" depending on the sake of the argument. Take size into account if you want to make a valid point.

"Each year, about 40 percent of all food in the United States goes uneaten. It’s just tossed out or left to rot." whoah talk about waste

I agree with Rukentuts on this one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post

in percent of gdp, one way to look at it, the us does not seem too high on foreign aid. What are your numbers?
    Those other countries have slept well under our umbrella for decades, so they could give more, in ratio of their GDP.

Ban me mods, but I'm fucking sick of Eurotrash's contempt for my country. Just fuck off.

<Infracted>
    Please don't insult other countries.
    Last edited by Anakso; 2012-12-04 at 04:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why is it America's sudden responsibility to "feed" the world?

How about people stop breeding like rats and learn to fend for themselves?

Get off their backs. They do enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    WHERE DO THEY GET OFF?
    Sure, in terms of total amount given. But when you account for differing GDP you find that the US actually doesn't give nearly as much compared to other countries

I wasn't talking about based on GDP
    A country isn't obligated to foreign aid based on the size of its economy, that's an irrelevant statistic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Transportation is and pretty much has been for awhile the only thing preventing the resolution of world hunger.
    Zimbabwe could probably feed huge swathes of Africa if they'd pull it together. They used to be the bread basket of Africa until 2000. Their agricultural production has dropped by half since then.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

WHERE DO THEY GET OFF?

What he said ^

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vastx View Post
    Those other countries have slept well under our umbrella for decades, so they could give more, in ratio of their GDP.

Ban me mods, but I'm fucking sick of Eurotrash's contempt for my country. Just fuck off.
    Contempt? I am not expressing any contempt for your country here.

Also if you really should protest anything it should be that my randomly googled numbers were from 2008

10+ Year Old Account
    Either America doesn't give enough foreign aid, or America should butt out and stop trying to meddle in everyone's affairs. Can't win for losing.

America increases foreign aid;
    "Mind your own business and stop trying to buy empire, you evil americans!!"
    America cuts back on international interactions like foreign aid;
    "That's just like you greedy evil american capitalist jerks! Go get fatter while the world starves!"
    Can't win for losing, some people will just keep hating you no matter what you do.
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

10+ Year Old Account
    A Black Land of Sorcery and Nameless Horror
    america has enough social problems of its own to tackle. time to look after their own and sort their own country out and let the rest of the world do the same.

Indeed, now I am not going to moan about the US eating too much or so. But you cant really say that the average American gives a lot to foreign aid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why am I being hated on for living in the United States today?

One of the major things that the US sends to "starving" countries is Pop-tarts. Please do a little research into the development of that meal (it really is a meal by itself) and I think you will see that we give a crapload to these people. The problem is that their leaders scoop all the supplies up and hoard them for themselves.

Perhaps we should send some self-defense materials as well? Of course, then we would be getting hate for promoting violence.

Short of escaping the countries they live in, something that these wretches cannot do, there is only so much aid other countries (not just the US) can give before they are seen as interfering with those countries economies and political structures. I would rather feed a few in an effort to feed the many than I would attempt to overload the country with food and have their leaders trying to control an open state of rebellion with the US as their main scapegoat.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Quote Originally Posted by vastx View Post

Under YOUR umbrella? Oh for got sake, get off your high horse, and stop living in delusion that America is the "Greatest country in the World". Here is Scandinavia we have way more than USA in help for countrys in aid, we are the leading country in reducing CO2. You call us trash? Please look yourself in the mirror.

Some of you totally missed the "zing" or "sarcasm"... The f'ing point of the post was America wastes HUGE sums of food and there are MILLIONS of Americas who are hungry, and HUNDREDS of MILLIONS of people around the world who are hungry.

However, we as a global community have become a bunch of selfish, self entitled assholes and if it doesn't affect us directly we could give a shit less. Let that lazy fuck get a job why should I care or help.

The world is truly a great place to live in, in its current state.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Why isnt the sub par produce that is tossed all the time used to make canned, salted and pickled food then? I think its because it would cost money to do and would require the government to subsidize it since it wouldnt be profitable