Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvain View Post
    I'm good after i start talking to chicks, it's just the initial ice breaker that i have major trouble with. I have a hard time getting myself to talk to girls i don't know. I jus need to stop being a puss i guess and practice or something.
    I'm with you on that, but I'm married now so it doesn't matter quite as much!

The big thing with Miami chicks vs. Austin is just that you're going to find a lot of stuck-up bitches in Miami who are really just looking for money...yes, they are extremely hot and have huge, fake knockers, but these things come with a cost. And these aren't the type of women who will want to spend a day out hiking or doing those types of activities. They may go to the gym, but only as a means to an end, not because they actually care about being healthy.

In Austin, the chicks are down to earth and will actually enjoy outdoor activities and being healthy.

It's definitely a trade-off. You're not going to find a lot of fake titties in Austin, but you will find nicer girls. And plenty of them are drop-dead gorgeous, too, just not in that overly-done-up way Miami is known for. So it really comes down to your own preferences in women.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jaimelannister View Post
    I'm with you on that, but I'm married now so it doesn't matter quite as much!

The big thing with Miami chicks vs. Austin is just that you're going to find a lot of stuck-up bitches in Miami who are really just looking for money...yes, they are extremely hot and have huge, fake knockers, but these things come with a cost. And these aren't the type of women who will want to spend a day out hiking or doing those types of activities. They may go to the gym, but only as a means to an end, not because they actually care about being healthy.

In Austin, the chicks are down to earth and will actually enjoy outdoor activities and being healthy.

It's definitely a trade-off. You're not going to find a lot of fake titties in Austin, but you will find nicer girls. And plenty of them are drop-dead gorgeous, too, just not in that overly-done-up way Miami is known for. So it really comes down to your own preferences in women.
    I hear ya. Yea, that definitely seems to be the case. I guess i'll have to do a lot of research but Austin is looking like the better choice. I was even thinking maybe adding California and Hawaii in as options. I know Hawaii is expensive and incredibly different, but it could be awesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hear ya. Yea, that definitely seems to be the case. I guess i'll have to do a lot of research but Austin is looking like the better choice. I was even thinking maybe adding California and Hawaii in as options. I know Hawaii is expensive and incredibly different, but it could be awesome.
    I grew up in San Jose, CA. It's a great city, but you won't find the party vibe I got the sense you were looking for.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I grew up in San Jose, CA. It's a great city, but you won't find the party vibe I got the sense you were looking for.
    Yea i need some sort of decent party night life. I've been doing some research on Hawaii, damn it is beautiful. That would be paradise if i could afford it.

Yeah, CA and HI are great climates, but expensive as all hell. Both have ridiculously high state income taxes, too (which TX and FL of course do not have at all).

I grew up in miami. WPB is a bit of a stretch, south florida's a mixed bag. I'm cuban american so for me dade and broward county are wonderful. There's so much diversity in food and entertainment, move on to the beaches and you'll find even more of the same, plus beaches. Cost of living's not terrible, there's no income tax(i believe) so it balances out. Mind you i was 16 when i moved, and am 23 now, so the social climate might have shifted, but most people I knew out there were warm and wonderful, just not outwardly in public. I live in NC now and it's not uncommon for people to wave and smile at total strangers, when i do that in miami i just get funny looks now : / lol

---------- Post added 2012-12-06 at 09:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Isnt Miami full of crime n shit...?
    Eh... It's not VICE. There's good neighborhoods and bad, just like anywhere else. Driving on the highway's another story. Shit's crazy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Austin, then on the weekends you can do the Texas Triangle ~ which is, Drive to Huston and party, Drive to Dallas and party, then complete the triangle by driving Home to Austin and doing a bit more partying.

God i miss those days.

10+ Year Old Account
    I live in Ft Lauderdale, just north of Miami, and I work near West Palm Beach. Firstly, Palm Beach County is the retirement capital of the world. If you're looking for nightlife, look elsewhere. Miami has nightlife, but if you're looking for overpriced everything, plastic fake people who would walk over you if you're dead in the streets, and English being one of the least spoken languages of the city, then Miami welcomes you!!

In terms of jobs, Miami has jobs, but there is awful traffic, and most require you to be bilingual. I am suffering from this now, as I cannot speak Spanish.

I've heard only great things about Austin, and personally despise Miami and the people in Florida overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Verain View Post
    While the statement you are replying to is a bit out there, there are definitely folks of Cuban descent in Miami who both hate and dislike Anglos, and do not speak English. Obviously the generalization you are referring to is false, but there are absolutely (Cuban, anti-white) racists in some numbers in Miami. I wouldn't expect anyone here on MMO-C to be in that number, just as you wouldn't expect any random white dude here to be some klansman.

The genetic makeup isn't very important here. There's places where people with pretty different genetic ancestry belong to essentially the same culture (eastern Russia, as one of many examples), and other places where genetically indistinguishable folk have feuds and substantially different cultural values (parts of Irish history come to mind).
    You can't generalize a million plus people like that, though. My parents learned english and assimilated damn well with society when they came in the 60's. Bigotry and racism, yes, is rampant in miami. It's all over the place. In general if you can point out on group you're guilty of it yourself. I'm under the belief that people in miami have thick enough skin where it shouldn't affect your day to day life.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Austin, then on the weekends you can do the Texas Triangle ~ which is, Drive to Huston and party, Drive to Dallas and party, then complete the triangle by driving Home to Austin and doing a bit more partying.

God i miss those days.
    Lol, the Texas Triangle, nice

I'd argue going where the work is.

That said, I live in Austin. It's a decent enough city. Most liberal portion of Texas there is, so if our high rate of political conservatism is a huge draw realize that it will be somewhat reduced in Austin. Our night scene is a pretty big deal, with downtown's Sixth Street being the most famous example, but there are all kinds of restaurants and clubs spread out all over the state.

We're not Las Vegas, though, so understand that most things tend to close by 2 a.m. or so at the latest, except like the 24 hour diners and things like that. Liquor stores are closed on Sunday, and I think that's a state, city or county law.

We call ourselves the Live Music Capital of the World, which might well not be an exaggeration. Concerts basically come out our assholes. You like music, this is the place to be. Realize, however, that major cities are a bit further apart here than in most states. You wanna go from Austin to Dallas or Houston, you're looking at a 3 hour drive.

And yes, RICH1471, we have beaches, but they're probably 3.5-4 hours away from Austin. It's day-trippable, but not casually unless you really love driving.

Can't speak about Miami. My mother loved Miami, that's all I know. Never been.

Edit: I should speak of our negatives.

It gets hot. Fucking HOT here, right? You hate the cold, that's good, because it doesn't happen here much. A few years ago we'd occasionally have a few below freezing days in a row in the winter... that hasn't happened lately. We've had two or three record summers of late, with 100+ days of 100+ degree weather. If you hate heat as much as you hate cold, this is probably a bad place to be.

That in mind, these last few summers HAVE been extraordinary. Our weather is usually fairly mild. I'm not saying it doens't always get hot in summer... it does. It is always hot in the summer... But usually there are more 90+ days than 100+ days.

---------- Post added 2012-12-06 at 04:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    If you go to Austin during a warm month, you should definitely make a quick side-trip down to New Braunfels and float down one of the rivers there.
    Wait a few years before you do this. The rivers are way low the last couple years or so. Like several feet below normal. We've had some drought issues that are slowly, sloooowly working themselves out.

That said we do have the best water park in the world, also in New Braunfels. Schlitterbahn.

No, I don't care how much everyone else likes their water parks. Ours is better
    Last edited by Jetstream; 2012-12-06 at 10:11 PM.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post
    I'd argue going where the work is.

That said, I live in Austin. It's a decent enough city. Most liberal portion of Texas there is, so if our high rate of political conservatism is a huge draw realize that it will be somewhat reduced in Austin. Our night scene is a pretty big deal, with downtown's Sixth Street being the most famous example, but there are all kinds of restaurants and clubs spread out all over the state.

We're not Las Vegas, though, so understand that most things tend to close by 2 a.m. or so at the latest, except like the 24 hour diners and things like that. Liquor stores are closed on Sunday, and I think that's a state, city or county law.

We call ourselves the Live Music Capital of the World, which might well not be an exaggeration. Concerts basically come out our assholes. You like music, this is the place to be. Realize, however, that major cities are a bit further apart here than in most states. You wanna go from Austin to Dallas or Houston, you're looking at a 3 hour drive.

And yes, RICH1471, we have beaches, but they're probably 3.5-4 hours away from Austin. It's day-trippable, but not casually unless you really love driving.

Can't speak about Miami. My mother loved Miami, that's all I know. Never been.

Edit: I should speak of our negatives.

It gets hot. Fucking HOT here, right? You hate the cold, that's good, because it doesn't happen here much. A few years ago we'd occasionally have a few below freezing days in a row in the winter... that hasn't happened lately. We've had two or three record summers of late, with 100+ days of 100+ degree weather. If you hate heat as much as you hate cold, this is probably a bad place to be.

That in mind, these last few summers HAVE been extraordinary. Our weather is usually fairly mild. I'm not saying it doens't always get hot in summer... it does. It is always hot in the summer... But usually there are more 90+ days than 100+ days.
    No, i love the heat. I'd rather be HOT than freezing my ass off any day. Austin does sound pretty nice.

As far as a tropical feel, if i go that route, i may just take my chances in Hawaii instead of Miami. The general consensus of Miami isn't sounding too great after doing a lot of research.

No, i love the heat. I'd rather be HOT than freezing my ass off any day. Austin does sound pretty nice.

As far as a tropical feel, if i go that route, i may just take my chances in Hawaii instead of Miami. The general consensus of Miami isn't sounding too great after doing a lot of research.
    Hawaii IS supposed to have the most mild, consistent climate in the country.

Oh, btw, everyone that says Austin is less crowded than the other cities they mention? That's changing. Just keep in mind, we're a growth city. Have been for, oh, twenty years or so now. We get bigger by the year... Traffic sucks a bit, but we're working on expanding the roads... slowly...

Edit: I keep thinking of more shit.

Our weather, it's decent. We've had drought issues the last few years but that's a sporadic thing and it seems to be working on clearing itself up. Anyway, we're too far away from the coast to get hurricanes, and we're just far enough south that we don't get very many tornadoes either, at least as compared to Dallas.

There's technically an active fault line under the city, but it hasn't done anything major in about a century, so that's not really a concern either. Flooding during a rainy season is really the worst thing we deal with around here.
    Last edited by Jetstream; 2012-12-06 at 10:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Strange, I couldn't imagine living in a hot place. I absolutely love the cold, the wind and the rain. I would be wary about seeking excessive heat if I were you. When I walk out my door at 7:00 AM to be greeted by dark grey skies, a cold soft wind and the fresh morning air and perhaps a few droplets of rain before I get in the car to head for work - I feel indescribable happiness. It's what I know and it's what I love and I wouldn't want anything else. You may come to find that some day you too will miss those grey skies.
    "The truth, my goal."

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Oh and btw it never gets cold in South Florida, I think the lowest it has been here was 60° this year as it is usually between 80° to 90° and if you're AC breaks its going to be really hot.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuvok View Post
    Strange, I couldn't imagine living in a hot place. I absolutely love the cold, the wind and the rain. I would be wary about seeking excessive heat if I were you. When I walk out my door at 7:00 AM to be greeted by dark grey skies, a cold soft wind and the fresh morning air and perhaps a few droplets of rain before I get in the car to head for work - I feel indescribable happiness. It's what I know and it's what I love and I wouldn't want anything else. You may come to find that some day you too will miss those grey skies.
    I can assure you, there is absolutely no way i would ever miss snow or grey skies, lol. The only reason i've stayed in Ohio so long is because of the comfort of my job and because my parents live in the area. The time has come to make a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuvok View Post
    It's rather rare for a person to prefer rainy over sunny, just FYI (not that there's anything wrong with it, it's just not common).

Somehow i want to live in Miami even less now...

"Will the last American out of Miami please bring the flag."

Funny bumper sticker I saw in Florida.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post

God i miss those days.
    +San Antonio for the Quadrilateral!

---------- Post added 2012-12-08 at 12:59 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post
    We're not Las Vegas, though, so understand that most things tend to close by 2 a.m. or so at the latest, except like the 24 hour diners and things like that.
    Go go Magnolia's!

Wait a few years before you do this. The rivers are way low the last couple years or so. Like several feet below normal. We've had some drought issues that are slowly, sloooowly working themselves out.
    I went when the river was really low, and even with it bumping along the bottom in a couple places, I still had a lot of fun.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!