Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Entitlement mentality

    Not even sure if I am putting this in the right forum, but I have noticed something very interesting.

    The vast majority of WoW players seem against the entitlement mentality in this game. If you want something you need to invest the time and work for it. Simple enough I tend agree.

    However when it comes to Real Life many of these same people are the ones voting democrat. Lets tax those that succeed to give to those that can't be it from lack of skill or drive. Because them not having X isn't fair.

    I know I am taking RL and comparing it a video game, but it is a interesting comparison to say the least.

    You have one branch that wants equal opportunity, tend to be conservative. Then you have the other branch that wants equal results, tend to be the democrats.

  2. #2
    Maybe it's because you're breaking through conservative talking points and finding out that people aren't that dissimilar to each other?

    Nah, it's gotta be some liberal conspiracy.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by TreezusSaves View Post
    Maybe it's because you're breaking through conservative talking points and finding out that people aren't that dissimilar to each other?

    Nah, it's gotta be some liberal conspiracy.
    No never said that a conspiracy was afoot. I never buy into them anyhow.

    The democratic platform is about redistribution of wealth and more entitlements. The answer is big government (Blizzard to relate to previous post) because life isn't fair.

    Where the conservative thought is you keep what you earn, and if you don't earn anything you are not entitled to squat (tends to be most the people on these boards)

    However from reading the boards most, in game seem to fall into the second line thought, but in real life vote or fall into the first line of thought.

    Don't get me wrong I am not a republican fan boy.

    I see myself as more of a militant libertarian.

  4. #4
    Pit Lord velde046's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    2,410
    You're comparing playing a game to real life? Well let's make the situation more real life then....
    If you buy a book you don't expect that you can only get the final chapter unless you can prove you read all the preceding chapters. Maybe taking an exam to prove it.
    Or buying an album but only being able to buy missing tracks by knowing all the other songs by heart? Even if you don't like the songs?
    You wouldnt stand for that either, so why would you do that ingame?
    THat's why I think the game is in quite a good position really. People have different ways to experience the content and at different difficulties. And that's what it should be all about. WHy shouldn't one be able to pass on a whole raid tier if they don;t like it?

    Just like you don't have to listen to every song in an album if you don;t want to or skipping a chapter because it does not appeal to you.

    P.S. And for both conservative and democrats... it's impossible to have either same opportunities or same results... that is Utopian thinking...

  5. #5
    Then you have people like you who buy into the dictatorship enforced through fraudulent elections, giving you the illusion of still living in a democratic country.

    I can't stand people debating republican vs democrat. You're all ignorant tools and MMO-champion wow general forums is not the place for you to discuss this kind of stupid shit.

  6. #6
    Pit Lord velde046's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    2,410
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurwyn View Post

    I can't stand people debating republican vs democrat. You're all ignorant tools and MMO-champion wow general forums is not the place for you to discuss this kind of stupid shit.
    I felt it was kinda weird to see the discussion here since it was more politically engaged than about the game really.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by velde046 View Post
    I felt it was kinda weird to see the discussion here since it was more politically engaged than about the game really.
    Yeah to be honest I wasn't real sure where to place it. With one half of it being very game related and the other half falling squarely into politics.

    @Velde046 Don't get me wrong, I am pretty content with the status of the game over all. I am just interested in the different lines of thought.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Maneo View Post
    The vast majority of WoW players seem against the entitlement mentality in this game.

    However when it comes to Real Life many of these same people are the ones voting democrat.
    Do you have data to back those claims? Or is this just a wild theory based on assumptions?

  9. #9

    The vast majority of WoW players seem against the entitlement mentality in this game. If you want something you need to invest the time and work for it. Simple enough I tend agree.
    Because , you know , is a game ? Not real life ?
    You work in real life , you play the game to relax ? Not to work more ?

    If we want to make the game like the real life guess what : would absolutely suck . Let's have all only 1 life in the game ,and if we die we stay death . To simulate better the real life.


  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpyhooves View Post
    Do you have data to back those claims? Or is this just a wild theory based on assumptions?
    No I have no DATA, I find it very unlikely that polling or new agencies would find reporting on the entitlements in WoW, or the typical WoW players political leanings.

    If you want read the forums I would think that would be sufficient DATA for ya. Or at least a good start to build upon an theory of the leanings of at least those that post on the forums.

  11. #11
    I clicked on this thread because I thought I'd get free epics.

    Gief nao!

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by vandam View Post
    Because , you know , is a game ? Not real life ?
    You work in real life , you play the game to relax ? Not to work more ?

    If we want to make the game like the real life guess what : would absolutely suck . Let's have all only 1 life in the game ,and if we die we stay death . To simulate better the real life.

    As stated before I am pretty content with the status of WoW right now... I am just going with what I read from other posters.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Maneo View Post
    No I have no DATA, I find it very unlikely that polling or new agencies would find reporting on the entitlements in WoW, or the typical WoW players political leanings.

    If you want read the forums I would think that would be sufficient DATA for ya. Or at least a good start to build upon an theory of the leanings of at least those that post on the forums.
    Ah I see, continue on with your wild speculation and sweeping generalisations then.

  14. #14
    In wow the only variable involved is the time invested into the game, with time you can do everything bar probably world first; in real life you have soo much variables that influence what you can do and obtain that it's impossible to compare them. The only thing that you really compare btw wow and rl is the general attitude of peoples hating and thrown out conspirancy theories torward the one in charge of power, in wow case Blizzard in rl case Gov.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Maneo View Post
    Not even sure if I am putting this in the right forum, but I have noticed something very interesting.

    The vast majority of WoW players seem against the entitlement mentality in this game. If you want something you need to invest the time and work for it. Simple enough I tend agree.

    However when it comes to Real Life many of these same people are the ones voting democrat. Lets tax those that succeed to give to those that can't be it from lack of skill or drive. Because them not having X isn't fair.

    I know I am taking RL and comparing it a video game, but it is a interesting comparison to say the least.

    You have one branch that wants equal opportunity, tend to be conservative. Then you have the other branch that wants equal results, tend to be the democrats.
    That's some nice data you have there. ...owait
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    No, it's neither harassment NOR ninja'ing to roll on any item the system allows one to.

    Nor is it against any rules to votekick a member from the group - one person can't do it, apparently someone agreed with the rogue.

  16. #16
    STOP, just stop... say this out loud; "I will not feed the trolls"

    This is not the right forum or even the right website to be talking politics. Nothing good will come from it.

    ....damn it... I just let some cookie crumbs fall and the troll licked them off my boots.

    ...let the thread die with this last post

  17. #17
    You meet a lot of greedy selfish shits ingame and in rl.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    That's some nice data you have there. ...owait
    To be fair, finding data to support this would be almost impossible (MMO players are not that important for Gallup or whoever to do polls on, and the news to report on)

    Also combine that with the fact that personal observations can not be proven.

    Example: " It saw a rainbow today but didn't have my camera"

    This mentality on this message board more then any other of data or it isn't possible or true is pathetic.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-04 at 05:03 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by bufferunderrun View Post
    In wow the only variable involved is the time invested into the game, with time you can do everything bar probably world first; in real life you have soo much variables that influence what you can do and obtain that it's impossible to compare them. The only thing that you really compare btw wow and rl is the general attitude of peoples hating and thrown out conspirancy theories torward the one in charge of power, in wow case Blizzard in rl case Gov.
    I wanted to thank you for being one of the only people that actually responded to the post beyond "Data or it doesn't matter response"

    I tend to find that whole answer is used when people hear/read something that they feel is true, but they just don't like it.

    Unfortunately though I don't agree with your point.

    Although time is a variable is definitely isn't the only one.

    Time invested has equal bearing in RL and in game. If you use your time wisely in RL (probably not playing WoW) to further your education gain skills etc you will fair better in RL.

    Talent: Some people have natural talents that benefit them in game, just as others have natural talents that benefit them in RL.

    Connections aka privilege we all know those people who get carried through content because of the guild they are in, that really isn't much different then a family having connections to get you a job whatever.

    Willing to adapt and learn those both things that will help you succeed in RL and game.

    Work ethic are you going to just show up, or are you going to do the research on bosses, fights etc. In RL are you just going to show up at your job or you going to bust your ass and be the best you can be.

    RL and game are very different but I find many parallels

  19. #19
    To use your analogy, wouldn't be "fair" to use in a game. There are people out there who have got to where they are without skill, without luck, but by shitting on everyone they come across and get paid vastly too much money for a job that involves little effort on their part.

    WoW isn't real life, and shouldn't be compared with such

  20. #20
    The same thing has happened to this country and the past election. This is what Obama ran on and it worked. People want things and since the government provides this, people voted and won. This same theory applies in World of Givemestuffcraft.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •