Poll: Should circumcision be the person's own choice?

Page 43 of 89 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    My foreskin keeping me warm tonight. :-p

Its not hard to keep your Dongle clean.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    What will you say if they're upset about your decision later on?
    I will tell them that I made a decision at the time, and I am sorry if they regret their parents choice, but it is something we will all have to live with. We make choices everyday, some good some bad, but I stand by my choices, and frankly, they havent even brought it up yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Too loose a definition to be meaningful at all. Trimming your nails can be considered mutilation under that.
    No it can not, no more than cutting your hair is mutilation or taking a bath to clean yourself is. One key distinction has to be in place irreparable harm

""" irreparably damaging parts """ from the post #1 part. comparing cutting toenails to irreparably damaging parts is grasping for strawman excuses for allowing mutilation to take place in the name of religion.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    People aren't using it for its dictionary definition. They're using it for the "*gasp!* mutilation!!! what can I do to stop this travesty?!!" effect.
    Maybe they actually feel that way? I'm not that up in arms about it myself, but in countries where it is rare I can certainly understand that attitude.
    Q: Where the fuck is Xia Xia, SIU?!?!
    A1: She needs to start making eggs for Easter...
    A2: Drunk and sleeping somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Notos View Post
    Maybe they actually feel that way? I'm not that up in arms about it myself, but in countries where it is rare I can certainly understand that attitude.
    I'm much too cynical to believe that. Saying you're "against a possibly unnecessary elective surgery performed on infants" is much less catchy than claiming to be "against the mutilation of children."

Case in point:
    "I purposely mutilated you, deal with it."

I suppose that is an acceptable answer.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2012-12-06 at 03:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Voraliska View Post
    I will tell them that I made a decision at the time, and I am sorry if they regret their parents choice, but it is something we will all have to live with. We make choices everyday, some good some bad, but I stand by my choices, and frankly, they havent even brought it up yet.

10+ Year Old Account

and that right there ended the discussion for me, I would never tell my child that. I do not see it that way, and apparently they do not either, and neither do their girlfriends. So troll someone else, I am done.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Voraliska View Post
    and that right there ended the discussion for me, I would never tell my child that. I do not see it that way, and apparently they do not either, and neither do their girlfriends. So troll someone else, I am done.
    Oh? What I said is quite accurate. "I made a decision, you're going to have to live with it"

Those were your words, not mine. And yes, circumcision is mutilation, what would you call it? How you see it is irrelevant.
    Last edited by Puck; 2012-12-06 at 03:11 AM.

There is indeed surgery but it is strictly cosmetic at this point. Maybe someday though. As for the word mutilation, that's an issue of connotative versus denotative meaning. People associate the word with very severe injuries because that is the context that they are used to in everyday life, but the dictionary meaning covers circumcision as well, so people are not strictly wrong in calling it mutilation.
    They are wrong in their use of the word as a sensationalist mechanism, though.

How is this different from any other procedure done to a child? Should a parent not be able to decide their child needs braces?

It has medical pro's and con's, detractors and supporters, is(majority circumstance) cosmetic. Is irreversible(as per my knowledge?). Same hooplah.

Should a parent not be and to "Mutilate" their perfect natural child's teeth without their permission? I'm sure lots of parents "force" braces on their kids.

Their your parents, their gonna make thousands apon thousands of decisions for you. They are going to irreversibly effect you for the rest of your life weather you like it or not. They'll make decisions with far less info/reason behind it then this. And those decisions will effect you in alot more profound ways they how many strokes it takes your fellah to spill his party favours, or what sorta lady fancies the look of your top hat. People seem to get really sensitive about the subject(mostly guys) cause its about their favourite toy and best friend lol. Its just a dick people, it's not that big of deal...

Wow some people have an extremely strong point of view on this. Which I guess I'm naive for not thinking that would be the case, since people have worse views on even more ridiculous matters.

But I don't see how in any way this is "Mutilation" ... You're a BABY, please tell me how many Babies can remember the pain of their "Mutilation". It's simply snipping a bit of Foreskin off a baby, it doesn't cause any harm later in life and the person is not going to grow up cursing the day their WANKER parents did such a viscous and disgraceful act! ...... -___-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daverid View Post
    Wow some people have an extremely strong point of view on this. Which I guess I'm naive for not thinking that would be the case, since people have worse views on even more ridiculous matters.

But I don't see how in any way this is "Mutilation" ... You're a BABY, please tell me how many Babies can remember the pain of their "Mutilation". It's simply snipping a bit of Foreskin off a baby, it doesn't cause any harm later in life and the person is not going to grow up cursing the day their WANKER parents did such a viscous and disgraceful act! ...... -___-
    So because the person in question can't remember the act, it stops being mutilation?

You are taking away a part of their body, a part they can never regrow, without their consent. That is mutilation. It is just common in your society so you don't view it as such. But you not viewing it as such doesn't change what it is.

Yeah it should definitely be a persons own choice. There is no good reason for something like that to be forced.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    They are wrong in their use of the word as a sensationalist mechanism, though.
    Let's apply that logic to a clitoridectomy and see how fast people start screaming mutilation, and then see how many people call that sensationalism. See the double standard?
    Q: Where the fuck is Xia Xia, SIU?!?!
    A1: She needs to start making eggs for Easter...
    A2: Drunk and sleeping somewhere.

Let's apply that logic to a clitoridectomy and see how fast people start screaming mutilation, and then see how many people call that sensationalism. See the double standard?
    Except that's not even a comparable thing to do to somebody.

There is an actual use for circumcising infants beyond attempting to curb masturbation.

No. Entirely different surgeries where one has a medical reason for performing it. The other does not.

I think circumcision in general should be abolished. There is no Medical reason for it. It is just Mutilation derived from a religious sentiment.

Anyone that says it is due to health reasons needs to realise unless a guy is a completely filthy fucking pig that can not learn to wash himself by age 4 that there is no reason to ever be circumcised.

---------- Post added 2012-12-06 at 01:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Annapolis View Post
    No. Entirely different surgeries where one has a medical reason for performing it. The other does not.
    Neither has medical reasons.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

So because the person in question can't remember the act, it stops being mutilation?

You are taking away a part of their body, a part they can never regrow, without their consent. That is mutilation. It is just common in your society so you don't view it as such. But you not viewing it as such doesn't change what it is.
    Okay I'll concede to the definition. However, Mutilation is just an extremely strong word. Even if it is mutilation by definition ... Would anyone actually say that you just MUTILATED a baby if you snipped of their foreskin? No, you'd just say that they got; Cut, Snipped, Circumcised etc. If you walked up to people on the street and said you were Mutilated because you got Circumcised, you'd probably be laughed at 99% of the time.

It's like if a parent smacks their child as a disciplinary act .. Would you call that Domestic Abuse? Fuck no. The same thing applies here, sure by definition it might be mutilation, but nobody in their right mind is going to use such an absurdly strong word for such an act.

Any guy that was circumcised as a child, and then grew up and got angry at his parents for having it done, is one extremely strange person indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Except male circumcision does.

What the fuck, it's like people selectively ignore shit.

Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    I think circumcision in general should be abolished. There is no Medical reason for it. It is just Mutilation derived from a religious sentiment.

Anyone that says it is due to health reasons needs to realise unless a guy is a completely filthy fucking pig that can not learn to wash himself by age 4 that there is no reason to ever be circumcised.

---------- Post added 2012-12-06 at 01:40 PM ----------

I told myself I said "self, don't repeat yourself again. You can post the 8+ scientific medical articles over and over, quote medical associations all you want, but people will ignore them and they definitely won't read them. Self, you just need to bite the bullet here and stop arguing with these people who refuse to look up the information themselves. They won't even look at your previous posts self!"

OK, you win... no medical reasons at all