Poll: Good Idea or Bad Idea

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Question Next gen consoles tying games to your system account

Apparently the next generation xbox and playstation may tie your games to your system/ live account.

Meaning that used games will not work for other people, no more renting, or borrowing off friends.

How do you feel about this and what do you think some positive or negative repercussions could be?

The poll question here is; Do you think this is a good idea or bad idea?
    Last edited by iadamson; 2012-12-05 at 07:13 AM.

Deleted
    It ruins the culture of trading games, but it means the developers get more money for their efforts, providing they're being given a share of the royalties. Overall, i'm in support of this.

Deleted
    What's your source on this? It's a good idea to actually link the suorces when claiming something like this, instead of just saying "apparently blah blah blah".

But yea, if it will go like this, I'm undecided because it depends on game prices. Will the games be cheaper since they can't be sold after you complete the game? If the game prices will go down to say 2/3 of current prices, I'd lean to yes. I'm too lazy to sell my games anyway.

On the other hand if the prices practically remain the same, no.

Quote Originally Posted by iadamson View Post
    Apparently the next generation xbox and playstation will tie your games to your system/ live account.

Meaning that used games will not work for other people, no more renting, or borrowing off friends.

How do you feel about this and what do you think some positive or negative repercussions could be?

The poll question here is; Do you think this is a good idea or bad idea?
    last time i saw this come up was a LONG time ago. sony also filed a patent for putting ads into games as well.

i dont think anyone will do this though it will alienate the fanbase too much
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Ituhippi View Post
    What's your source on this? It's a good idea to actually link the suorces when claiming something like this, instead of just saying "apparently blah blah blah".

But yea, if it will go like this, I'm undecided because it depends on game prices. Will the games be cheaper since they can't be sold after you complete the game? If the game prices will go down to say 2/3 of current prices, I'd lean to yes. I'm too lazy to sell my games anyway.

I'm not claiming anything, it's being speculated over the internet for a while now.
    A quick google search and you'll find the answers your looking for, sorry thought this was a more "well-known" topic, been hearing everyone at work talk about it since Wii U came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ituhippi View Post

prices wouldnt change based on this if anything they would go up in price due games being more expensive to make. but this wouldnt effect that
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Deleted
    Completely and utterly useless.

Myself like 99% of other people will not spend any more money on games just because we cant give the ones we have used to friends. We have a limit to the money we have.

All this means is more people will buy the overrated popular games so they can play together, spend less money on other games, and be generally angry.

It was bad enough when saves got locked to accounts because Microsoft brought out achievements which echoed onto the PS3.

It was bad enough when the PS3 didn't have memory cards.

This is just taking it too far!

Quote Originally Posted by LordOfWesternLand View Post
    Completely and utterly useless.

Myself like 99% of other people will not spend any more money on games just because we cant give the ones we have used to friends. We have a limit to the money we have.

All this means is more people will buy the overrated popular games so they can play together, spend less money on other games, and be generally angry.

It was bad enough when saves got locked to accounts because Microsoft brought out achievements which echoed onto the PS3.

It was bad enough when the PS3 didn't have memory cards.

This is just taking it too far!
    i havent gotten a wiiu yet so maybe im wrong but cant you just put everything on an sd card or an external hardrive and plug it into another wiiu?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    i havent gotten a wiiu yet so maybe im wrong but cant you just put everything on an sd card or an external hardrive and plug it into another wiiu?
    Im not sure on Nintendos point of view on this. It might work. It might only work on some games. Maybe you can google it =]

Quote Originally Posted by iadamson View Post
    I'm not claiming anything, it's being speculated over the internet for a while now.
    A quick google search and you'll find the answers your looking for, sorry thought this was a more "well-known" topic, been hearing everyone at work talk about it since Wii U came out.
    i stay pretty caught up with all the gaming news and the last time i remember hearing this was a little bit before last e3 where there was a rumor of microsoft looking into it and around that same time sony filed a patent to interupt games with commercials.

the first one was just a rumor as far as i know and the 2nd one could happen

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ohshoey View Post
    providing they're being given a share of the royalties
    Yeah in a perfect world.
    I don't think this is going to happen anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by LordOfWesternLand View Post
    Im not sure on Nintendos point of view on this. It might work. It might only work on some games. Maybe you can google it =]
    turns out i was wrong i think

"Nintendo Japan has confirmed via its official website that downloaded Wii U software can not be saved to the SD card. If you’re looking to save software on something other than an SD card you will either need to use your limited Wii U internal storage space, or, invest in an external hard drive.
    Downloaded software can only be played on the Wii U it was originally bought from. Meaning if you download a game to an external HDD and try to use that HDD on another Wii U, it won’t work. Downloaded software is saved to the internal memory or what’s in the USB slot. Downloaded software can’t be saved to the SD card. "

however the site i found it on was from before the wiiu launched so theres a chance you still can im not 100% sure

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    The Wii U has an account system, I think you can have up to 10 people registered per console. So I would imagine that the saves will be tied either to the console or even individual accounts. But you can use an HDD or SD card to store saves. I did not have any incentive to experiment with that feature yet.

What I do know is that Nintendo seems to be more liberal and customer-oriented as far as games go. They have, for instance, announced to not try and stifle 2nd hand game sales in any way which is HUGE if you look at what Sony and MS are currently exploring. My setup this gen will probably be WiiU, Ouya and gaming PC, this will allow me to play pretty much anything I want bar for the occasional exclusive on PS or XBox that doesn't suck, but those are super rare. Wii U will be for Nintendo 1st and 3rd party exclusives, Ouya for all the homebrew stuff it'll hopefully get and PC for indie titles and any multiplatform games.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawu View Post
    The Wii U has an account system, I think you can have up to 10 people registered per console. So I would imagine that the saves will be tied either to the console or even individual accounts. But you can use an HDD or SD card to store saves. I did not have any incentive to experiment with that feature yet.

What I do know is that Nintendo seems to be more liberal and customer-oriented as far as games go. They have, for instance, announced to not try and stifle 2nd hand game sales in any way which is HUGE if you look at what Sony and MS are currently exploring. My setup this gen will probably be WiiU, Ouya and gaming PC, this will allow me to play pretty much anything I want bar for the occasional exclusive on PS or XBox that doesn't suck, but those are super rare. Wii U will be for Nintendo 1st and 3rd party exclusives, Ouya for all the homebrew stuff it'll hopefully get and PC for indie titles and any multiplatform games.
    yeah thats my plan to although ill probably get a ps3/4 when kingdom hearts 1.5 remix comes out

Deleted
    i know that the games industry loses alot of money because of borrowing or second hand gaming ...
    so i can somehow understand why they want to stop that ...

borrowing games from friends has ever been a driving motive when it comes down to getting a game for one self ...

with download-games becoming ever more present, i think it is still important that you can borrow games to friends. microsoft and sony would have to introduce a system that allows giving games away for a limited time. this would serve as a kind of "demo" version which would lead to more games sold in the end ...

Deleted
    I really dont like it tbh ...

I dont play bf3 that often, and when there is a update i need to go find my pw because i usually forget it ... else i cant log in -.-

An tradingin games or buying 2nd hand games is actually for a student ... AWESOME if that changes F.... consoles tbh ... :S

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey, i've been doing that for 5 years now with Steam, and i like Steam.

So i don't care, i've never wanted to buy or sell a used game in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical92 View Post
    Hey, i've been doing that for 5 years now with Steam, and i like Steam.

So i don't care, i've never wanted to buy or sell a used game in my life.
    yeah but thats the problem.. there is no equivalent to steam for consoles plus steam has alot more perks plus the games are alot cheaper so buying a game that turns out bad doesnt hurt you as much.

the biggest retail game store in america is gamestop and dont they make like 30-60% of their revenue or something from used games?

Mixed feelings on it.

On the one hand, that's exactly what I've been doing for years on PC. Heck, I don't even remember being the last time you could trade in a PC game to begin with. It's never once been something I felt was a bad thing, and I quite enjoy having all my games laying about either ready to download on any machine I log in from, or on my disks with the cd key taped on.

On the other hand, renting games and sharing with friends has been a huge part of the console culture for decades now. I'm not sure changing it would be good for gaming in general.

So I'm pretty torn on it, because I can totally see valid arguments from both sides.

I definitely wouldn't buy a console that requires me to have some "account" and ties game "licenses" or whatever to my system. But then again, I also don't like Steam. Generally not a big fan of disposession.