Page 1 of 2
LastLast

I want to start playing FPS

Hello everybody

I've been looking for a new game to play and i remembered when i had an xbox there were some fps games that were really entertaining. I don't have any game console atm and i'm looking for a free FPS game that i could download.

I'm not looking for pvp or multiplayer, just a nice sit down playing the story mode.

I don't like horror games like Resident evil or Dead space.

If it's something like timesplitters or halo i would absolutely love it.

I have a Usb playstation controller so if it can be played with that it's a plus but not a necessity.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

10+ Year Old Account
    Another option would be to pick up Team Fortress 2, which is free on steam.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    I watched my friend play through Metro 2033, it looked pretty neat and you can get it in the Humble THQ bundle right now. Just donate $1 and I think you get that game along with like 7 others.

Metro 2033 is a little scary but it's not really a horror game. It's a pretty standard single player FPS with great graphics.

http://www.humblebundle.com/
    I'd definitely recommend this. It's a great game.
    I would also say Borderlands, and Borderlands 2 for that matter. They are FPS games with RPG elements. They're quite fun! And especially great with friends, but multiplayer isn't necessary. The story isn't anything special, but the style and humor of the game is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Krashkam View Post
    This x 1000. I bought TF2 when it first came out, and I still regularly play it. I've amassed over 1000 hours, and I'm still not bored of it.

Now, like any game, there's a definite learning curve. Stick with it though, and you'll be rocket jumping and compression blast reflecting projectiles in no time. I'd definitely recommend buying a weapon or cosmetic item from the shop to make you a premium player too. New items will drop more frequently for you (about 8 a week depending on how much you play). Something like a Huntsman (bow and arrow) for the Sniper will cost you around a dollar, and makes the Sniper class more interesting.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krashkam View Post
    Note, this is PvP / Multiplayer.

Metro 2033
    Half Life 1/2
    Not exactly "shooter" but
    Portal 1 / 2.
    Single player campaign for Call of Duty Modern Warfare 1 / 2.
    Modern Warfare 2 had some spec ops thing that I liked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
    This x 1000. I bought TF2 when it first came out, and I still regularly play it. I've amassed over 1000 hours, and I'm still not bored of it.

Now, like any game, there's a definite learning curve. Stick with it though, and you'll be rocket jumping and compression blast reflecting projectiles in no time. I'd definitely recommend buying a weapon or cosmetic item from the shop to make you a premium player too. New items will drop more frequently for you (about 8 a week depending on how much you play). Something like a Huntsman (bow and arrow) for the Sniper will cost you around a dollar, and makes the Sniper class more interesting.
    Huntsman is a Sniper achievement gift too.
    Anyways, it's non pvp stuff the OP is asking for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    The Borderlands games are great. I especially like Borderlands 2. I believe it's on sale on Steam right now, half off IIRC. It'll last you a long time and they're constantly putting out DLC for the game so it's great to jump back into once in a while.
    25% off. You can wait for Christmas sale probably to get it at 50%. Just depends on the patience level.
    Great game in my opinion.

Black Mesa - http://release.blackmesasource.com/

This is a essencially a full port of the original Halflife game to the source engine, comes with greatly updated graphics and a full production on the game. Quite frankly for a free game it is amazing.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

I would suggest either Painkiller or the Serious Sam games (First and Second Encounters are fairly cheap). Painkiller uses some interesting weapons, has some very memorable boss fights (the last level has to be seen), and it has a card/objective system that adds some fun and interesting challenges to the game. Serious Sam is just pure shooter. If it moves, kill it. Tons of firepower, lots of humor, myriad of enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    I would suggest either Painkiller or the Serious Sam games (First and Second Encounters are fairly cheap). Painkiller uses some interesting weapons, has some very memorable boss fights (the last level has to be seen), and it has a card/objective system that adds some fun and interesting challenges to the game. Serious Sam is just pure shooter. If it moves, kill it. Tons of firepower, lots of humor, myriad of enemies.
    The only game I would suggest out of the Painkiller series is Painkiller: Black Edition. The other games don't really live up to that one, in my opinion. But yes, it is very fun. Very fast paced and the bosses are really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    The only game I would suggest out of the Painkiller series is Painkiller: Black Edition. The other games don't really live up to that one, in my opinion. But yes, it is very fun. Very fast paced and the bosses are really cool.
    Yeah, I guess I should have brought that to attention. I don't normally consider those other games 'Painkiller', so my mind blocks them out. Painkiller: Black is the one you want. The story is somewhat interesting, and the final stage for both the original game and official add-on were spectacularly designed. Easily some of my most memorable level designs, ranking up with the original McGee's Alice.

Crysis and Crysis 2, also Dark Messiah. You should absolutely try Dark Messiah.

Quote Originally Posted by Maleborgia View Post
    Hello everybody

I've been looking for a new game to play and i remembered when i had an xbox there were some fps games that were really entertaining. I don't have any game console atm and i'm looking for a free FPS game that i could download.

I'm not looking for pvp or multiplayer, just a nice sit down playing the story mode.

I don't like horror games like Resident evil or Dead space.

If it's something like timesplitters or halo i would absolutely love it.

I have a Usb playstation controller so if it can be played with that it's a plus but not a necessity.
    Quite frankly I don't think what you're looking for exists with the criteria you've listed unless you're looking for a really shallow browser-based pseudo-FPS or retro DOS game, but that doesn't seem to be what you're aiming for.

If you nix one of the criteria or more, then you might get some decent recommendations.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Humble Bundle seems like the way to go.

I bought Borderlands on Steam recently and I hate that game. I thought it would be right up my alley being RPG+Shooter but just about everything in that game rubs me the wrong way. Honestly just one of those games that I can't figure out why its anything other than a flop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Far Cry 3.
    One of the best games that have come out in 2012, its Skyrim and Assassins Creed with guns pretty much, and its insanely good.
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

I agree with metro 2033 that has a decent story and does have horror elements, not a lot of replay value though, i completed it 3 times but then it sort of looses its charm.

Fo3/fallout nv, both have reasonable stories very moddable so plenty of user created content for them 2 lots of replay value. some ppl prefer fo3 to nv but its probably safer to go with nv having the more updated engine, although the story in fo3 has a much more epic feel, they both have goty editions too i believe. skyrim, not really a shooter but it handles like one in most respects.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2012-12-08 at 06:54 AM.

Deleted
    Far Cry 1 was incredibly good at it's time, I'd recommand it anytime. If you like weapons, and the military things, I'd suggest you to try Counter-Strike: Condition Zero out.
    Last edited by mmoce45982384d; 2012-12-08 at 10:15 AM.

You're gonna have to shell out some money for a decent single player FPS.

Maybe some more criteria as in do you want realism? Fantasy and RPG elements rolled in? Stuff like that.

Unreal 1 was awesome as well
    "Sir, we are surrounded, Sir"
    "Excellent, we can attack in every direction"

Deleted
    You should try Fallout 3 or Rage. Open world Shooters with quests and stuff. Really fun games!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    Humble Bundle seems like the way to go.

I bought Borderlands on Steam recently and I hate that game. I thought it would be right up my alley being RPG+Shooter but just about everything in that game rubs me the wrong way. Honestly just one of those games that I can't figure out why its anything other than a flop.
    It's fun until you've seen and done everything, then it's boring and pointless. The game gets really repetitive, but it's okay with friends.

The various FEAR games are good shooters; repetitive, but fun. And despite what pansies will tell you, they ain't scary - hard to be scared when you have a shotgun.

Saints Row 3 is in the current Humble Bundle and like most GTA clones, it has a lot of emphasis on shooting. It's also hilarious.

---------- Post added 2012-12-08 at 04:37 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jeavline View Post
    You should try Fallout 3 or Rage. Open world Shooters with quests and stuff. Really fun games!
    Fallout 3 isn't a shooter. It's some kind of muddied, dogshit awful game that Bethesda seems to specialize in creating.

It can become a decent shooter, but that requires modding.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow