Page 1 of 54
... LastLast

How was our universe created out of "Nothing" according to science?

I have been looking around for information on what created the big bang that shaped our universe. From what I have seen it seems that scientists are going out of their way to prove it could happen without the use of an "outside force" or "god".

I don't affiliate myself with any religious beliefs but I like to believe the unexplained could be something like salient matter or maybe even a celestial being. How can this idea be dis proven by a scientist if we can't create something out of nothing AND that if a series of forces are required or created what created the forces, etc.

It would be nice to hear how scientists who are trying to go away from the "creator" idea think.

a universe from nothing. youtube.

The only theory I've really heard has been "It leaked through from another dimension." Which is all well and good, but then where did the matter in that dimension come from?

10+ Year Old Account
    Chicken and the egg. Something even science can't explain.
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Liagala View Post
    The only theory I've really heard has been "It leaked through from another dimension." Which is all well and good, but then where did the matter in that dimension come from?
    I usually like to think of universes as separate dimensions. Each with its own physics and life. And that outside of these universes some sort of sentient/unsentient matter is birthing each universes and giving them physics. Can't really go against this theory from what I have seen. Nothing can't create nothing and if that isn't the case than it was made up to go against the idea of higher power creation....or can it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Imo the chicken came 1st and then the egg.
    Last edited by TheEaterofSouls; 2012-12-07 at 02:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post
    I have been looking around for information on what created the big bang that shaped our universe. From what I have seen it seems that scientists are going out of their way to prove it could happen without the use of an "outside force" or "god".
    Scientists have no answers, only a variety of hypothesis. And the general purpose of science is to not answer every question with "a wizard did it", so from your perspective they may seem to be trying to prove God didn't do it, but from their perspective, there's no evidence to substantiate God did anything at all, or even existed.

I don't affiliate myself with any religious beliefs but I like to believe the unexplained could be something like salient matter or maybe even a celestial being. How can this idea be dis proven by a scientist if we can't create something out of nothing AND that if a series of forces are required or created what created the forces, etc.
    The purpose of science is to find evidence, great hypothesis, and search for answers. Their job is not to disprove, their job is to prove. Observe, test, repeat. That is science. If intelligent matter or a extra-dimensional being cannot be observed, then they cannot be tested for.

It would be nice to hear how scientists who are trying to go away from the "creator" idea think.
    No, it wouldn't, because this is a stupid and pointless question. All you are going to respond with is "well if they can't disprove it, it must be true!" which benefits noone.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I got bored and wanted to see the stupid things people would come up on forums like this billions of years later.....poof, universe.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    There's a lot science can't explain iirc they can't explain how we became from micro ogranisms either or something like that.
    There was a part missing! I don't believe any of that though. And well as for the world being created out of nothing it just seems so silly.
    Why arent we seeing anything being created now or humans popping out of nowhere because of evolution.
    Why did evolution just stopped!!?

Either way wether you believe in God or Evolution. You all believe in something where there's no solid proof of today. Or so i think!

10+ Year Old Account
    There's no real answer for this one.

The "white bearded guy" theory just adds another step into the problem. In a creationist's view, god created the universe, but where does god come from anyway? In this theory, god itself came from nothing.

Either way you end up with "something came from nothing".

How did God come to exist from nothing? Where did this magical creator come from?
    Keep The Beats!

From what I have seen it seems that scientists are going out of their way to prove it could happen without the use of an "outside force" or "god".
    No, scientists look for the most parsimonious explanation that is consistent with the evidence available. At present, that's not a deity.

I think that a super-massive black hole exploded - the more mass is in a single location the hotter it gets as mass is directly linked to energy (e=mc²), at some point there is too much energy for the black hole to contain and it explodes, throwing out matter and a whole lot of radiation). This would account for the non-zero temperature of the universe and the permanent background gamma and x-ray radiation in Spacs.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    That's pretty thoroughly explained. Eggs evolved a long time before chickens.

Quote Originally Posted by chocobo606 View Post
    a universe from nothing. youtube.
    Yeah this is really the best answer. An excerpt; "If nothing is unstable then nothingness eventually leads to something and that something eventually decays into nothing"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheImmortalLordAtlas View Post
    How did God come to exist from nothing? Where did this magical creator come from?
    This is really the only response needed. Who created the creator?
    EverQuest, City of Heroes, Star Wars Galaxies, EverQuest II, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Star Wars TOR, Guild Wars 2, Rift.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont think we will ever know. Why? Because no one had a front row seat to the big bang. No one had a front row seat to God's 7 day work week though either.

I usually like to think of universes as separate dimensions. Each with its own physics and life. And that outside of these universes some sort of sentient/unsentient matter is birthing each universes and giving them physics. Can't really go against this theory from what I have seen.
    FWIW, I mostly agree with you. The problem is, you're skirting waaaay to close to the "discussions of religion are verboten" rule. Indirectly asking for discussion on whether or not God exists in some form is probably not a very good idea.

Deleted
    Ok, this is no trivial matter, because we really have no idea. The laws of physics as we know stop working if we go to the very instant of the Big Bang and up to a very short time after (called Plank's time). Why? because during that time the universe density is so high that the quantum effects of gravity are not negligible, and we do not have a quantum theory for the gravity (yet).

Buuuut... when scientists say "we really have no idea", it usually means we have some educated guesses. The main line of thinking goes along this line: nothingness, the non-existence, is actually an unstable state. Why? to put it very simply: there are many ways, many states in which "things can exist", but only one way for "nothing to exist", only one state of nothingness. According to our understanding of quantum mechanics, transitions from an A state to another B state are more likely the more available states B has. So, the transition from nothingness to the universe is almost unavoidable.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    That's pretty thoroughly explained. Eggs evolved a long time before chickens.
    Or rather, organisms evolved the egg as a means of letting their young develop outside of the mother's body before the chicken came to being.

Phase change.

Sort of like ice melting, the water wasn't there - then it was.