Page 53 of 54 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    Have you read the quote I was replying too? Kinda answers your question.
    Oops. Totally missed that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Deleted
    Unfortunately we all will probably not be around for that.

Life on earth began hundres of millions of years ago. Humans are such a young species.
    Put into perspective it's not so long ago we were sitting in caves, collecting our daily food from the trees and bushes that grew outside.

It's quite remarkable how far science has come in the last century. But it's a fraction of the things we are still about to learn, some things we might never understand because in the end, all delusions of grandeur put aside, we are just a bunch of highly evolved animals relying on our limited senses to comprehend the world around us.

Give it time.

Quote Originally Posted by KDSwain View Post
    You have it opposite. Black is a combination of all of the colors. Clear is the complete absence of color.
    Quite possibly the best thing I've ever seen written.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    It's not a hole.

It's a hole in spacetime.

And it is black.

Holes don't have to be bottomless to be holes btw.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey OP if you want a different perspective on this matter I suggest you watch this Clip from Carl Sagan's Cosmos Series:

I watched this when growing up and it was an AMAZING change for me. (WE MISS YOU CARL!)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    0,0,0 is black.

255, 255, 255 is white.
    Yeah. He's referring to pigments versus light, right?
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Yeah. He's referring to pigments versus light, right?
    Right. Pigment and light work differently. Black is the absorption of all color in light and white is the reflection of all color. The RGB model of light makes black the absence of color and white the presence of all color. The CMYK model is opposite of the RGB model and based on printer inks. The CMYK model has black at the presence of all color and white as the absence. There are multiple color theories, some are additive, some are subtractive. The additive colors, like the RGB model, are based on the behavior of light and the subtractive models are based on the behavior of mixing inks and pigments.
    Last edited by Adam Jensen; 2012-12-15 at 03:30 PM.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    I think I'm thinking therefore I possibly am? Even then the fact that I can recognise myself as "I" means I exist, even it is only in the mind of another, and I am a conscious being.
    This could all still be the illusion of a man in a dream. There's nothing to say that you aren't effectively a robot, programmed to either believe that you're not or simply be completely unaware of it.

Because my consciousness is the subjective experience of being me, to experience being me subjectively one must be me, otherwise you are an observer sharing an experience from your own stand-point and therefore a seperate being.
    In addition, why is the possibility that a consciousness that was formerly you exists at the same time as you -- having experienced everything you have, as you, before you had experienced yourself -- out of the question?

It's fine for religions to claim scientific truths, as long as science has confirmed them
    It depends on what you mean by "claim"; depending on the definition choice, it can get fallacious really quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post

And it is black.
    This hole is quite clearly white, with a black distorted grid-like pattern; but still predominantly white.
    Last edited by TheShinyOne; 2012-12-17 at 06:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukari View Post
    Equality is a universal concept, you either care about it for everyone, or you don't care about it. It can't be compartmentalized, you can't champion equality for solely one group, that's inimical to the whole idea of equality.
    To make room for the cupcake!

Quote Originally Posted by Waifu View Post
    Why arent we seeing anything being created now or humans popping out of nowhere because of evolution.
    Why did evolution just stopped!!?
    I assume this has been touched on in 53 pages, but I'll bite anyways.

Evolution hasn't stopped. Mutations == evolution. It's just that to see widescale changes due to evolution takes millions of years. We only have really good data on maybe a few thousand years, and a bunch of patchy data from various points into the past. There are probably millions of species that died out that we never got any fossil data for, etc.

IE: Hominids living during the ice age up until 10,000 years go had extra wide noses/nostrils to take in/warm up more air. Over many generations it worked out that having a nose like that was more advantageous for the cold weather, and those that were born without it died off more easily, etc. So over time they would predominately have that type of nose.

For as much as we think we know about our universe, there is undoubtedly a tremendous amount we still don't know. We weren't even able to confirm planets in star systems outside of our own before around 15 years ago. Hell, we didn't even know there was water ice on Mars, the next planet over, until just a few years ago.

So just because we haven't yet observed or came up with a solid hypothesis on why it happened, doesn't mean god/a wizard/MIB did it. It also means they're not saying they DIDN'T do it -- merely that we have no observations of them at this time to make such a statement. We confirmed black holes not too long ago as well, so the existence of white holes or some other type of singularity causing an explosion of matter into an adjacent dimension may not be that farfetched.

Quote Originally Posted by TheShinyOne View Post
    This could all still be the illusion of a man in a dream. There's nothing to say that you aren't effectively a robot, programmed to either believe that you're not or simply be completely unaware of it.
    Those possibilities are why I can not prove to an other that I am conscious, but I know from subjective experience that I am. The source of my mind is not important, merely the fact that it exists.

In addition, why is the possibility that a consciousness that was formerly you exists at the same time as you -- having experienced everything you have, as you, before you had experienced yourself -- out of the question?
    It isn't out of the question, but the other person has had additional experiences to me, and now possesses a different perspective so they are not "me" they are "them".

Quote Originally Posted by WarpKnight View Post
    There's no real answer for this one.

The "white bearded guy" theory just adds another step into the problem. In a creationist's view, god created the universe, but where does god come from anyway? In this theory, god itself came from nothing.

Either way you end up with "something came from nothing".
    Ancestor Simulation Theory. Check it bro... leads to some kind of infinity of "well, there could be another layer."

Really good way to answer the question, while evading the question.