Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Help overclock my i7 3770k to 4.8 ghz

Hi, I'm trying to overclock my i7 3770k to 4.8 ghz but I've never messed with voltages or anything with overclocking before. I'm running at 4.4 without any voltage changes and I want to run it at 4.8 for 24/7 use for the next 6 months with an h100 cooler (if that's possible?).
    Where should I start?

Deleted
    first of all 1 step at a time.
    secondly 4,8GHz is likely out of reach since ivy temps skyrocket with higher voltages.
    also for gaming purposes there is barely any performance gain after 4,4GHz. (only for WoW but then we're talking <2-3 frames iirc)

10+ Year Old Account
    0.1GHz at a time, with steps of 0.005 voltage increases untill you become stable before you move to the next 0.1GHz.

Why do you need 4.8ghz? 4.4ghz is plenty for gaming. But if you HAVE to get 4.8ghz ( Which isn't possible on all chips btw ). Try Increasing it step by step like people have already said.
    Playing since 2007.

You're going to need more than an H100 for 4.8 on Ivy Bridge. At least 480mm of radiator goodness on a full custom loop if you want to go that high. Otherwise, 4.4Ghz is about the best you can do.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    also since you got an I7 you would very likely have to turn off HT in order to reach such clocks which is more a performance loss in the end compared to the small clock gain vs losing 4 virtual effective cores. (assuming you have programs that uttilize HT)

I've managed to get it stable in 20 minutes of prime 95 with 4.5 without upping voltage but 4.6 needed a boost so I added .005v and it crashed and I added another .005v in which it ran prime 95 for about 16 minutes until prime became unresponsive so I closed prime and added another .005v and the system crashed. What does this mean? I don't know how to proceed. Wouldn't upping the voltage make it MORE stable?

Deleted
    20min prime isn't stable for longterm (12h is minimum to determine if something is truly stable for a longer period of time)
    also mind answering the questions to the how and why in regards to 4,8GHz and HT?

I'm just trying to increase my fps in WoW using xsplit without needing to turn to graphics settings down too much, also I fold when I'm idle. I'll only be using this computer for the next 6 months so I don't see why not anyway. But yeah mind telling me how I should proceed? Should I continue to up the voltage? I don't know why it got even more unstable when I gave it .005v more.

Deleted
    more details, numbers and settings would help. (also what rig you got?)
    more voltage is exponentialy increased when compared to increase of the clocks. ( might need more then twice the voltage increase for going 0,1Ghz up)
    still im highly sceptical that going for such an OC will significantly improve FPS for wow.
    also do you have HT enabled?

Don't know what you mean by numbers and settings. Temps never went above 65c during prime and my rig is asrock extreme 4 z77 motherboard/ 8 gb 1866 ram/ gtx 680/ i7 3770k/ and yes I have ht enabled and I want it enabled because xsplit relies on as many cores as possible and it benefits my folding.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by djcoin View Post
    Don't know what you mean by numbers and settings. Temps never went above 65c during prime and my rig is asrock extreme 4 z77 motherboard/ 8 gb 1866 ram/ gtx 680/ i7 3770k/ and yes I have ht enabled and I want it enabled because xsplit relies on as many cores as possible and it benefits my folding.
    ment in regards to wow fps/settings, my bad should have been more clear. (current fps vs what you want to hope to achieve with this OC)
    also for such high OC you might want to start reading some detailled guides because you likely need to tune lots of settings which aren't easy to describe with a few forum posts.

Deleted
    Getting anywhere beyond 4.5 is hit and miss. Absolutely no guarantee you'll get a stable result so don't get your hopes up. You're starting to push the CPU way beyond the specification. You'll need to know what you're doing with core voltages, load line levels and Vmcio/Vtt may need an increment too. I wouldn't play with these values unless you've read up and fully understand the consequences.

@OP: I haven't owned an Ivy CPU, but I own a 2500k, which from Ivy reviews and personal experience with my 2500k I can tell you that Sandy's tend to OC a little beyond Ivy, but 4.8 is not even possible on a good percentage of Sandy chips. I won the lottery with my chip, and run it a good bit faster than most, but it is my understanding that my experience is above average.

I think what most people here, including me, are trying to say is that you should considering tempering your expectations a bit. You can overclock it as long as it remains stable, but once it stops, you have to just understand that you might have gotten a chip that was lower binned than others from the same batch.

Quote Originally Posted by Zatie12 View Post
    Getting anywhere beyond 4.5 is hit and miss. Absolutely no guarantee you'll get a stable result so don't get your hopes up. You're starting to push the CPU way beyond the specification. You'll need to know what you're doing with core voltages, load line levels and Vmcio/Vtt may need an increment too. I wouldn't play with these values unless you've read up and fully understand the consequences.
    Pretty much. With a good board and cooling setup you can hit 4.5 and be somewhat comfy, but beyond that the voltages are going to cause way too many problems with the chip. You're likely not getting 4.8, so I wouldn't risk it.

You rather start to figure what LLC is and aim for a 1:1 voltagebios to voltageincpu-z. So if you for example give 1.2Vcore in the bios, you want 1.2Vcore in Windows & during load.

Tell me which board you have.

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    You're going to need more than an H100 for 4.8 on Ivy Bridge. At least 480mm of radiator goodness on a full custom loop if you want to go that high. Otherwise, 4.4Ghz is about the best you can do.
    Hmm basics of basics, the die size is giving it's heat of to the HSP and HSP is giving it off to a waterblock/heatsink but the problem of ivy bridge is that the die size's heat isn't being dissapated correctly, so the HSP is just a heat barrier and the core is overheating/running warm. Getting better cooling like a quad rad is not going to help really..

Or just easier said, if you have two platforms an Ivy bridge @ 1.35V & Sandy @ 1.35V you can clearly feel the difference of the heat if you touch both waterblocks.

The only option which remains is just to be lucky is having a superclocker.

The only option which remains is just to be lucky is having a superclocker.
    Or pay for an endless supply of liquid nitrogen

@OP: start at 4.3 GHz. Get that stable-ish (20 minutes of P95, if it doesn't crash, move on). Increase the clock speed multi to 44, up the voltage in small steps until it boots, when it boots test it in P95. When it crashes, up the vCore, test. If it crashes again, up the vCore. Repeat until it is stable again. Then you can think about 4.5GHz. Keep in mind that you probably don't want to go beyond 1.35V vCore, and definitely don't want to go beyond 1.40V vCore. Keep an eye on temperatures too. If the voltage changes a lot when under load, use load line calibration to counteract that. Downclocking the RAM might also help make things stable too.

When you are happy that you've reached the limits of the CPU (temperatures are getting too high, requiring big voltages etc) then do a longer P95 test, and when it crashes drop down a multiplier, then you can use the previous results to get the lowest voltage for that clock speed.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2012-12-07 at 06:48 PM.

I managed to get it to a seemingly stable 4.6 with a +.020v offset and a 1.355v vtt offset which both seem pretty high for only a .1ghz upgrade. My cpu runs ironclad stable at 4.4 with no voltage increase and runs stable 90% of the time at 4.5 so why is 4.6 such a big deal? I haven't touched PLL yet but I'm not 100% clear on what I should do with it. I'm running offset oc with the bios settings in this guide http://www.thinkcomputers.org/intel-...cking-guide/3/
    @faithh I'm using asrock extreme 4 z77 board.
    Last edited by djcoin; 2012-12-07 at 08:14 PM.

I managed to get it to a seemingly stable 4.6 with a +.020v offset and a 1.355v vtt offset which both seem pretty high for only a .1ghz upgrade. My cpu runs ironclad stable at 4.4 with no voltage increase and runs stable 90% of the time at 4.5 so why is 4.6 such a big deal? I haven't touched PLL yet but I'm not 100% clear on what I should do with it. I'm running offset oc with the bios settings in this guide http://www.thinkcomputers.org/intel-...cking-guide/3/
    You just shouldn't work with offset mode. Get a fixed voltage. Disable C states & intel speedstep technology. PPL overvoltage is not needed for frequencies below 4.7GHz. It's only needed if it's needed. If your pc doesn't boot and if PPL helps, use it. If it boots without ppl & stable without, no ppl.

You sure about disabling c states? The ivy oc guide http://www.thinkcomputers.org/intel-...cking-guide/3/ says to have them disabled for offset and enabled for fixed voltage. Also whats wrong with offset oc?
    Last edited by djcoin; 2012-12-07 at 09:07 PM.