Page 1 of 38
... LastLast

US Supreme Court to Hear Cases on Same-Sex Marriage

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/12/07...age/?hpt=hp_t3

DOMA will almost certainly be defeated in my opinion. It's too analogous to previous laws that were also overturned.

CNN's senior legal analyst Jeffrey Toobin put the case in perspective: "This is a major event in American history, not just in Supreme Court history. The Supreme Court is not just going to decide whether the Defense of Marriage Act is constitutional, they are also going to decide whether Proposition 8 in California - whether the ban on same-sex marriage there is unconstitutional and that could affect all 50 states."
    This will most likely be one of the biggest cases of our time. If the Supreme Court decides bans are unconstitutional, that means the thirty-some states that have an amendment in their state constitutions banning same-sex marriage will have them stricken.
    Last edited by Rukentuts; 2012-12-07 at 08:49 PM.

"I don't get the problems with same-sex marriages, everyone knows once you get married it's always the same sex!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Glad to hear it! I can't imagine that the court could possibly rule against marriage equality and still have any constitutional credibility.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I think the government needs to stop calling ANY SINGLE UNION OF TWO PEOPLE marriage. How many problems would be solved if the word "marriage" was eliminated from government laws? Then, there is a true separation of church and state. Churches can call the joining of two people together marriage, but the state will only recognize it as a legalized, joint-union.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

I'm fine with gay couples being couples, I just dislike the attempt to misuse a word's definition. If for the entirety of the word "marriage" it was defined as "A union between two people" and not "A union between a man and woman" then I would be fine with them "getting married."

Sure, there's always the argument of "Just change the definition" etc, but I don't feel you should be forced to change the definition of a word just because a small group of people demand it. I'm fine with them having the same tax breaks and all that, but don't change the definition of a word.
    Last edited by SageKalzi; 2012-12-07 at 08:52 PM.

Who cares what the word means...is this seriously a thing?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    I think the government needs to stop calling ANY SINGLE UNION OF TWO PEOPLE marriage. How many problems would be solved if the word "marriage" was eliminated from government laws? Then, there is a true separation of church and state. Churches can call the joining of two people together marriage, but the state will only recognize it as a legalized, joint-union.
    Completely agree
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

Words have no intrinsic meaning. Meanings of words change constantly based on common usage. Religions don't own the word marriage. It's a social contract, and if that contract is going to impart societal benefits, it must provide those benefits equally. Here's to hoping the Supreme Court sees that.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Deleted
    Gays should be allowed to suffer every bit as much as straights.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    US Supreme Court to Hear Cases on Same-Sex Marriage
    I get the feeling that this is not going to end well. No matter their decision, its just going to feed more ammo to the other side.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    I get the feeling that this is not going to end well. No matter their decision, its just going to feed more ammo to the other side.
    In my opinion there really is no logical argument against same-sex marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    Or people could just accept that the term marriage can have multiple definitions. Most people seem to have no problem with numerous other words that have multiple meanings.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    Words have no intrinsic meaning. Meanings of words change constantly based on common usage. Religions don't own the word marriage. It's a social contract, and if that contract is going to impart societal benefits, it must provide those benefits equally. Here's to hoping the Supreme Court sees that.
    I never said religion owns the word. I also said that they can use a different word and still get the tax benefits, I don't see why it's so necessary to use the word "marriage."

In my opinion there really is no logical argument against same-sex marriage.
    If human beings operated on logical grounds we'd see a whole lot less hate, anger, and segregation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SageKalzi View Post
    I never said religion owns the word. I also said that they can use a different word and still get the tax benefits, I don't see why it's so necessary to use the word "marriage."
    Because it's both unlawful and inequitable to let one group have the privilege of a specific word while denying the other group the same.

"If you've had sex, you can use the drinking fountain, but if you're a virgin, you have to use the virgin fountain." That would never go over. You can't allow certain groups separate but theoretically equal privileges.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Wating to hear the crash of DOMA hitting the floor, then the party afterward.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Quote Originally Posted by SageKalzi View Post
    Because, again, the word "marriage" has no intrinsic meaning. It is currently defined, by DOMA, to be "a union between a man and a woman." That wasn't it's original definition, and it's not going to be it's definition if DOMA gets struck down. The only basis for the DOMA definition of marriage is contained in religious teachings.

Quote Originally Posted by moogogaipan View Post
    Wating to hear the crash of DOMA hitting the floor, then the party afterward.
    Not only can these cases get rid of DOMA, but those thirty-some state amendments banning same-sex marriage as well.

One can draw easy analogies to "state's rights" arguments used in an attempt to justify segregation and discrimination in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    "I don't get the problems with same-sex marriages, everyone knows once you get married it's always the same sex!"
    *rimshot button*
    ☭Politics Understander and Haver of Good Takes☭Posting Is A Human Right☭
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    If I was in his boots (and forced to join the SS in 1939 or whenever he joined), I would have tried to liberate the camp myself or die trying. He did not. He traded his life for the life of thousands of people, thus he should face the consequences
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    Oh would you now? It truly is amazing how many heroic people we have wasting their time on internet.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/12/07...age/?hpt=hp_t3

DOMA will almost certainly be defeated in my opinion. It's too analogous to previous laws that were also overturned.

This will most likely be one of the biggest cases of our time. If the Supreme Court decides bans are unconstitutional, that means the thirty-some states that have an amendment in their state constitutions banning same-sex marriage will have them stricken.
    Do you hear that ticking sound? It's the clock counting down the end of institutionalized bigotry . . . .

Let Freedom Ring . . . .